PS5 Power Cycling Issue

LC-Fraggers

So last night my PS5 flatlined in the middle of a game of Dead by Daylight. Couldn't get it to turn back on via controller or power button. I looked online and found a suggestion to "power cycle" the console (unplug power cable for 10 seconds from the PS5 and then re-plug it in) which worked but there was a strong electric crackle as I plugged it back in. The PS5 itself was quite warm near the back but not excessively so. It's an original model that I've had since release day and never had any prior issues with.

What I want to ask the more knowledgeable among you is whether this is something to worry about going forward. If so, are there any preventative measures or special adaptors/equipment I should buy? The PS5 is currently plugged into a multi-socket extension with surge protection if that makes a difference.

I have no real knowledge or experience with the practical maintenance of electronics so feel free to explain this to me as you would a child 😂

The electric crackle is normal because of the residual stress. 

I would suggest to clean the ps5. There is a good chance that the heat sinks are full of dust, as are the fans of the power supply unit.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, zmastruz said:

The electric crackle is normal because of the residual stress. 

I would suggest to clean the ps5. There is a good chance that the heat sinks are full of dust, as are the fans of the power supply unit.

Thanks for your help. I took the covers off both sides and removed all the dust I could find. I didn't have the right kind of screwdriver to remove the fan cover but I managed to scoop out a lot of dust from the blades with a small paintbrush. Do you think that'll be enough or should I remove the fan cover and do it properly? 

So it was very dusty? Then you should definitely look at the heat sink (Radiator) and the power supply unit. 

If you want to do it yourself, here is a link to a video where you can see how to disassemble and clean the PS5.

https://youtu.be/nb-echTqgW0?si=y-LZBE0LthT36u9k

Timestap: 11:00: if those little vents on the PSU are full of dust, that's 90% of the reason why the ps5 shuts down.

But only do this if you are sure enough and if the warranty is gone.

Otherwise, you may have friends who are good with hardware, or there is an IT store near you. Sometimes these stores have phone numbers with people who specialize in consoles only. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, zmastruz said:

So it was very dusty? Then you should definitely look at the heat sink (Radiator) and the power supply unit. 

If you want to do it yourself, here is a link to a video where you can see how to disassemble and clean the PS5.

https://youtu.be/nb-echTqgW0?si=y-LZBE0LthT36u9k

Timestap: 11:00: if those little vents on the PSU are full of dust, that's 90% of the reason why the ps5 shuts down.

But only do this if you are sure enough and if the warranty is gone.

Otherwise, you may have friends who are good with hardware, or there is an IT store near you. Sometimes these stores have phone numbers with people who specialize in consoles only. 

There was definitely more dust in there than there should be, yeah 😂

Thanks for your advice; the video looks easy enough to follow so I'll give it a go myself. I played on the PS5 for the rest of the night after just the basic clean without any issues but I don't want to be in the same position in another couple of weeks,

• Like 1