Corrupt Save / Protorelics

On the last protorelic challenge (Corel Region), I finish the challenge, get cut scene with Reno, Rude and sand monster, and Kid G and Cactuar's kill the monster, then I spar / fight with Kid G.

After the fight I assume I get the protorelic and therefore the 'Cactuar Crusher' trophy, but I don't and I assume something is corrupt somewhere, if I recall it did freeze a couple times, maybe in one of the protorelic challenges.

Problem now is, is that not only is that trophy blocked, but the rest of the end game content, specifically the Island to fight Gilgamesh, get the last materials from Chadley and unlock the rest of the VR challenges, there's no way to reset or replay the protorelic challenges to force it to fix itself, I fear the only way to fix this is to replay the entire game.

For reference, on the world maps it clearly shows I have all the protorelics for each region, so some state is save somewhere to know this, but the logic to open up the island is not referencing this same data.

I was going to prepare for hard mode and get the rest of the trophies but it seems I won't be able to access the final area until that island is unlocked and currently the only way to do that is to replay the entire game again :(

• Like 1

On 3/15/2024 at 7:43 PM, usersmuser said:

Yeah tried, made a capture to better illustrate the problem -

I assume you've gone back to the Protorelic locations and tried to beat them again on Normal and Hard Mode. Provided you've seen the cutscene this won't trigger the cutscene again and you can't reset these. Did you do this before or after the recent patch? Patch 1.02 seems to have fucked up some of the Side Quest stuff as I've seen a lot of people being locked into Can't Stop Won't Stop where beating the minigames won't actually allow the quest to progress.

Have you gone to the Nibel region to get the dialogue from Chadley & visit the spot on that map? Going to that particular island spot requires Chocojet and is what triggers the Meridian Ocean cutscene that opens Gilgamesh Island iirc.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Yeah, I've gone back and beaten all protorelic challenges (hard versions), replayed most of the chapters on hard... well the ones I could, it crashes on ch1 so can't do that, it crashes just before the specimen fight in ch9 so can't complete that, I've just done ch10 recently but am taking a break.

I've watched a few streamers on twitch after completing all protorelic challenges and yes, I did NOT get that cut scene with Gilgamesh, basically the points for the last 2 protorelic challenges in Corel are not registering, which is causing a cascade of issues:

- no "Cactuar Crush" trophy

- not enough points to buyout all materia from Chadley

- not unlocking Secret Island

And since the save is corrupt, I assume it's contributing to the following issues mentioned:

- ch1 does not load (chapter select hard mode)

- ch9 fight before specimen bugs out and can not continue

I've decided to walk away from this until the next patch, but checking on their past patching records I'm not confident this will ever be fixed, not least anytime soon, most likely they'll fix the g-bike score issue for the final side quest but not the corrupt events / save state issues!

Edited by usersmuser

• 2 weeks later...

Re-tested with today's patch - 1.030.000 and the island is still not unlocked.

Capture -

Cactuar Crush trophy did NOT pop.

It did fix the other issues mentioned:

- ch1 loads (hard)

- ch9 - enemy spawn just before the Specimen H1024 fight

- world intel points for Corel Region, could buy all remaining materia

There doesn't seem to be any sort of integrity checks on the save data, if you encounter a bug during an event then we're SOL!

Posted (edited)

Redoing the Protorelic challenges in Corel fixed the issue for me, after proto 1, 2, 3 and climbing out the hole the cut scene triggered and trophy unlocked, glad secret island is finally unlocked now 🙂

Edited by usersmuser