Ps3 Hard Drive Full

TylerPicon

I have a 160 gb ps3 with only 12 gb left of free space and i bought an external drive to see if i could transfer some of the game data that is taking alot of space of my hard drive to empty my ps3 but it isnt letting me. Does anyone knows how to do it?

You can't transfer game data. However, it is not needed unless you are playing that specific game and you can re-install it at any time simply by playing the game (plus re-downloading and re-installing any DLC you might have) so the good news is that if you really need to clear up some space you can easily just delete the game data from some of the old games you don't play anymore. 

Your only real option is to upgrade the size of the HDD in your PS3. If you want to do this, you can use the Backup Utility function to make a backup of your current HDD, install the bigger HDD, then use the restore function to "transfer" all your data. However, I would highly recommend deleting all game data for this method also since it's not necessary to be included in the backup and will drastically increase the amount of time it takes to backup/restore (there is also a chance that it will prevent this process from working properly but we'll get into that if needed). This backup/restore method also requires that your external HD is large enough to hold all the data in your PS3 (minus the game data as per my suggestion) so if you want to do Backup/Restore you'll need an external HD that has a good 200GB or so of space depending on exactly how much of your data is tied up in delete-able game data; if you have at least 10GB or so of game data that you can delete then a 150GB external should be fine since you also said you have 12GB free space left.

I have a pretty good amount of experience with upgrading/exchanging HDD's in a PS3. I've been thinking about making an FAQ-type thread with some general tips and guidelines for a stress-free upgrade. Is this something anybody around here would be interested in?

Edited by RedEye420