Rumor: Nintendo Preparing Large Virtual Console and Cross-Buy Announcement

Lady Lilith

http://www.gamnesia.com/news/rumor-nintendo-preparing-large-virtual-console-and-cross-buy-announcement#.U739d_ldV8F

virtual_console__medium.jpgNow, before you Nintendo fans take a look at the title and squeal for joy (it's okay, I wanted to as well), let me state emphatically that this is very much a rumor and should be treated as such. That said, according to multiple "trusted sources," Nintendo is preparing to announce some big updates to the Virtual Console and the eShop in general.

According to Nintendo Enthusiast's sources, Nintendo is preparing a massive overhaul of the eShop that could include some sort of subscription-based service. Additionally, multiple developers speaking 'off the record' to Nintendo Enthusiast suggested that Nintendo was planning to implement cross-buy between 3DS and Wii U on a wide scale. Squids Odyssey recently became Nintendo's first cross-buy game, and there could be more to come soon.

Nintendo recently launched firmware update version 8.0 for 3DS which only listed "improved stability" as the cause for the upgrade, and 3DS and Wii U have both seen massive online maintenance this week. Emily Rodgers, who has scored the inside scoop on a few Nintendo announcements in the past, indicated that there's more to the story than that.

1. @Emi1yRogers 3DS firmware updated to the 8.0 build, yet the only announced change is "stability"? Something is up there

@steve3389 For now, the only thing I can tell you is that you're right. :)

According to The Game Bakers, the developers of Squids Odyssey, Nintendo is working to allow for cross-buy from Wii U to 3DS, instead of the already-achieved reverse process.

1. @TheGameBakers Will the eShop cross-buy work in reverse? E.G If I own the Wii U version can I get the 3DS version for free? @NINTENthusiast

@sknygy @nintenthusiast Unfortunately no. We'd have loved it but Nintendo's data structure couldn't do it yet! But they are working on it!

These announcements were reportedly originally planned for E3, but were delayed to a later time. Hopefully we'll get some clarity on the matter soon via a Nintendo Direct. Until then, speculate away, Nintendo fans!

If they do do cross buy, I'd rather they make it retroactive personally, I'd love to be able to download all the games I've bought on 3DS to Wii U.  That being said, I would think they'd have to add Genesis and N64 to Wii U VC.  I mean, N64 not being there is just baffling.  Also, needs more actual handheld games on 3DS VC, that was the whole reason it's there, and now we're just getting NES games.

This could be some really great news!   I just recently got a Wii-U and a 3DS mainly because Nintendo's E3 stream gave me hope for the Wii-U future as well as the fact that the 3DS gets flooded with JRPGs (my favorite genre)...

http://www.gamnesia.com/news/rumor-nintendo-preparing-large-virtual-console-and-cross-buy-announcement#.U739d_ldV8F

If they do do cross buy, I'd rather they make it retroactive personally, I'd love to be able to download all the games I've bought on 3DS to Wii U.  That being said, I would think they'd have to add Genesis and N64 to Wii U VC.  I mean, N64 not being there is just baffling.  Also, needs more actual handheld games on 3DS VC, that was the whole reason it's there, and now we're just getting NES games.

I think they already announced the N64 VC was coming didn't they?   I know that things take a while to do and they probably just focused on getting the low hanging fruit first... at least thats my hope!  Honestly the N64 was not my favorite Nintendo console... so far my favorite (other than the SNES) was the GameCube but im not holding my breath on that one...

This could be some really great news!   I just recently got a Wii-U and a 3DS mainly because Nintendo's E3 stream gave me hope for the Wii-U future as well as the fact that the 3DS gets flooded with JRPGs (my favorite genre)...

I think they already announced the N64 VC was coming didn't they?   I know that things take a while to do and they probably just focused on getting the low hanging fruit first... at least thats my hope!  Honestly the N64 was not my favorite Nintendo console... so far my favorite (other than the SNES) was the GameCube but im not holding my breath on that one...

They did announce N64...When the Vc first started. If it is coming, they're sure taking their sweet time.

• Like 1