psp square button help

Kirbz

as i was posting in another thread, it reminded me of a problem i have with my psp and why i dont use it anymore. that problem is that the square button sticks.

i dont know if you can say it really sticks, but the left part of the button stays up while the other goes down whenever i try to press the button.. sorry if that doesnt really make sense, but pretty much whenever i press the button, only the right part gets pressed and that is very annoying since it hurts my thumb and pressing that button doesnt work 100% of the time.

i tried taking the psp apart to clean it, but that didnt really help. so i was begining to lose all hope for my psp until i thought about looking for a new body for the psp.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Full-housing-Case-Shell-Faceplate-FOR-PSP-1000-white-US-/330449019021?pt=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item4cf04be08d#ht_1176wt_1166

this link contained the body i was thinking about getting, not that it really matters but whatever.

would getting a new body for the PSP fix the issue? by the way its an original black PSP 1000

as i was posting in another thread, it reminded me of a problem i have with my psp and why i dont use it anymore. that problem is that the square button sticks.

i dont know if you can say it really sticks, but the left part of the button stays up while the other goes down whenever i try to press the button.. sorry if that doesnt really make sense, but pretty much whenever i press the button, only the right part gets pressed and that is very annoying since it hurts my thumb and pressing that button doesnt work 100% of the time.

i tried taking the psp apart to clean it, but that didnt really help. so i was begining to lose all hope for my psp until i thought about looking for a new body for the psp.

http://www.ebay.com/...#ht_1176wt_1166

this link contained the body i was thinking about getting, not that it really matters but whatever.

would getting a new body for the PSP fix the issue? by the way its an original black PSP 1000

I have zero experience with the PSP but, I have seen similar issues with other devices. It sounds, to me, like there's a chunk of crap stuck under one side of the button. There should be a circuit board under the buttons with little rubber boots and some sort of a guide for the button cover to slide up/down. You say you took it apart? Did you happen to see anything stuck to the button? You'd be surprised just how much a tiny foreign object can obstruct the movement. I'd thoroughly inspect under the button for any debris... food, fingernail clipping, etc...

As far as the new case goes, it can't hurt to try changing it out for $14. You may take care of the issue during the changeover without even realizing it. You could do the same thing (for free) by replacing your current cover with itself. LOL... that sounds dumb but, take it apart as if you are changing the cover. Separate the appropriate pieces and then put the "new" cover back on it. Can't hurt right?

I have zero experience with the PSP but, I have seen similar issues with other devices. It sounds, to me, like there's a chunk of crap stuck under one side of the button. There should be a circuit board under the buttons with little rubber boots and some sort of a guide for the button cover to slide up/down. You say you took it apart? Did you happen to see anything stuck to the button? You'd be surprised just how much a tiny foreign object can obstruct the movement. I'd thoroughly inspect under the button for any debris... food, fingernail clipping, etc...

As far as the new case goes, it can't hurt to try changing it out for $14. You may take care of the issue during the changeover without even realizing it. You could do the same thing (for free) by replacing your current cover with itself. LOL... that sounds dumb but, take it apart as if you are changing the cover. Separate the appropriate pieces and then put the "new" cover back on it. Can't hurt right?

yeah i already tried that. i took it apart a total of three times in the past two years, trying to fix that issue. i always checked if there is anything stuck under the button but i could never find anything. i always cleaned all the buttons with rubbing alcohol.

yeah i already tried that. i took it apart a total of three times in the past two years, trying to fix that issue. i always checked if there is anything stuck under the button but i could never find anything. i always cleaned all the buttons with rubbing alcohol.

Damn! Not sure what to say about that. Maybe there's an actual PSP veteran here that will chime in for you... Sorry I couldn't help :(