Leveling systems

SPelaez94

I am playing the witcher 3 and I realized I didn´t like how the leveling system works. I don´t mean how you spend the points you get when yo lvl up, but how  you gain xp. So I started thinking about how games did their leveling up and most games give almost all of the xp wither by doing quest (like the witcher) or by killing monsters (ni no kuni, rainbow moon), between those two I prefer the latter. But what I believe is the best way to give you xp is by doing things (Skyrim). Here you lvl up just by doing what you like and you don´t need to do quest or kill monster to lvl up. Furthermore, the more you do something the higher your skill in that is, so every enemy you hit (or hits you), you feel you are gaining something. I would like your opinions.

I hate Skyrim's leveling system. It took away anything that makes it a "Role Playing Game". You couldn't level up if you didn't do all the dumb stuff, that maybe you didn't want to for your character. If I'm a mage, why do I have to level my pickpocket skill, or bow skill, or heavy weapon skill, etc.

Killing enemies and completing quests to gain exp is my favorite method. You can play however you want, kill however you want, do whatever quests you want and still level up. It offers way more freedom, and there is a reason it's used in most RPGs.