PS3 disc drive making rattling noise

Lady Lilith

So a few days ago, I had Borderlands 2 in and was just on the XMB, and I noticed that the disc drive was making sort of a rattling noise. I took the disc out, and it stopped. I don't hear it at all when I play digital games, which is what makes me think it's the disc drive. Today I was playing Jak 2, and I couldn't play the game for long because the rattling noise got so annoying to hear.

Now my question is, is this a problem that can be fixed, or will I have to get a new PS3? If I do, will I need to purchase another 1TB hard drive? Even if I got the 500GB model, I'd be running out of space.

this may sound dumb but bear with me. i thought i had the same problem because at first i had the same loud rattling noise while i was playing a game then i checked out my fan underneath and i realized the fan was getting caught underneath the ps3. i feared the the worst but it ended up being the fan.

Well, I cleaned the vents some with compressed air and adjusted it some, and it's a little better. Could just be it's getting old, I guess. I can barely hear it ingame anymore, and it doesn't happen at all on the XMB anymore. Worst case, I just turn on subtitles and play music, or turn the volume up.