One with the Shadows Glitched?

IntrepidHunter

So, I am trying to do the One With the Shadows Quest, which is return the Thieves Guild to former glory by doing the radiant quests for Devlin & Vex. You do the 5 quests in each major city (Windhelm, Winterhold, Markath, and Solitude) and then get the "special quest" from Devlin to curry favor with a powerful family in that city to bolster the guild's presence there. And, I got my first three without a hitch. 5 in, got the special quest, completed. But Solitude, I have done 14 quests for now that have been completed, and I am not getting the special quest for that very last one. 

Is anyone else having some similar sort of issues? 

I've seen two potential fixes for this - 1: Stay away from Devlin for 31 days and the cell can reset, or 2: hit Devlin with a weapon a few times can also 'reset' him, but neither of these is guaranteed on the console versions. I'm trying these now and will update if one works for me. 

Worse, I know that the unofficial patch, which is a mod, can actually fix this, but of course, adding a mod disables the trophies. Which is really what I'm after. 

Any insight, or anyone sharing my frustration, please feel free to add to the topic.