PS4 (1216B) Fan Whine Fix

Martain2

Hi guys.

As some of you may know my current PS4 (1216B model i believe) has recently been annoying me with what i believe to be coil whine.
After reading up this seems to be common in all but the first version of the PS4 released from 2013-mid 2015 and seems to be coming from the PSU (Power Supply Unit) at the back of the PS4.
I was wondering if anybody could suggest any physical fixes to this at all such as hot glue to stop the coils vibrating so much? I've had a look online and unfortunately the PSU in various types of PS4 are different models and thus not interchangeable so changing it is not an option unless a replacement PSU might not have the same problem.
_________
Edited by Martain2

I had a quick google for you. This thread might help?

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/slight-buzz-sounds-coming-from-ps4-in-standby.748139/

TL;DR: Try "tapping" the PSU (I'm not sure what this means... a physical tap on top of the console? Or is it an electrician's term?), or try disabling the function where it charges controllers while in Rest Mode/Standby.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, StrickenBiged said:

I had a quick google for you. This thread might help?

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/slight-buzz-sounds-coming-from-ps4-in-standby.748139/

TL;DR: Try "tapping" the PSU (I'm not sure what this means... a physical tap on top of the console? Or is it an electrician's term?), or try disabling the function where it charges controllers while in Rest Mode/Standby.

Cheers for the feedback Stricken, the problem described in that thread sounds a little different to mine (buzzing in standby rather than a high pitched whine whilst on) but i think i'm best to open it up and take another look at the PSU to see if anything looks loose.
If anybody else can give some help i'd appreciate it.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

After looking into this a bit further (by opening up the PS4) it would appear the sound is actually coming from the fan/heat sink vent rather than the PSU at it stops completely if i temporally stop the fan whilst in game.

I have one of the Nidec fans installed and with the exception of this whine there is no excess noise coming from it, does anybody know if it could be something like the bearings and easily fixed with a fan replacement?