The Nightfall 100% Retrospective & Trophy Tips

Drag-On-Detritus

When I first saw this trophy list pop up it spoke to me. I checked out a video & it looked... tolerable so when it came out I didn't think twice about bawking over the price & waiting for a discount. That discount happened recently so I picked this up & got it done over the last few days. No one on PSN had the 100% yet so when the last trophy popped a sinking feeling in the stomach followed as I knew I'd be making a thread like this.

What's the deal with this game then? (asked no one). It's a German made walking sim with a couple of retro games included. Unfortunately there aren't any horses or work vehicles involved. The voice acting is pretty unique but not in a way that's all that amusing. I dunno if I'd call it a horror, thriller or what. The 'villain' is of the John Wane Gacy variety. It's pretty gross TBH. If you don't know who John Wane Gacy is he's the bloke who did the artwork for Acid Bath's 'When the Kite String Pops'.

Yeah bit of a tangent here but halfway through the game I picked up a note which was an invoice from 1969 for a child's tricycle & it was $80. I had to look up how much that is with inflation, turns out that's over $500 in today's money and while fixating over this thinking I've found something really amusing the second half of the note revealed that trike to be a gift from the neighbourhood chomo clown & it was the biggest downer. There's just no fun allowed here.

On to the retro games then, that's what I was primarily interested in anyway. They're a very basic Atari style. Pheenyx is a 2D shooter like Space Invaders, Galaga, Pheonix etc. It's playable enough but I have an affinity for 2D shooting so of course I'd think that. Fragman on the other hand is a Pacman style game with awkward controls. I like Pacman a lot but Fragman really sucks. 

Something I found out about those high score trophies is they don't stack so first time playing Fragman for real I get 10k points & only that trophy popped. Played again & got the 20k & only that. It had been an hour & a half already spent on this awful shit & I had to load it up a third time to get the 5k points, I was so over it I died at 1k & had to start over a fourth time.

I wouldn't say those retro games are hard but you have to play each of them for a full hour with no reprieve just to get the 50/20k trophies & even if you get those the first time you'll have to replay the games again for the lower score trophies. It takes that long because points don't accumulate that fast as there aren't any score multipliers. You can get extra points in Pheenyx by shooting the wings off the bird enemies before shooting the middle (a whopping 10 extra points per wing) and in Fragman you get something like 25 points for every ghost eaten.

Fragman has to be the one & only time I ever wanted to use an analogue stick in a 2D game. If you're not sort of grinding out the diagonals it's hard to navigate the character through the maze. No way I was going to do go through that on a pad so I used an Arcade (Seimitsu) stick to save my thumb and had no issues. 

What about the walking simulator part then? Well it doesn't need a guide as such. You just walk around the house & in the various rooms until something happens & then a note appears, you read it & the chapter ends. The game only saves when you complete a chapter & it saves each chapter as a separate save. The menu/interface when loading a save is possibly the worst I've ever seen. This might be a good time to mention the loading times which are obscene. It takes well over a minute to load a chapter each time & the counter hangs for what seems like an eternity which doesn't inspire confidence.

There are a couple of times throughout the story you'll have to do something deliberate & it's not completely obvious. One of the chapters there'll be a flashlight pulsating occasionally in the neighbours window & you'll have to do the same. Another chapter you'll find a 'thenightfall' cartridge. Put the cart in, start the game & run to the table to pick up a key. The items you need in the last chapter are a bit that way as well. One is in the box in the garage & the other in the master bedroom dresser (the one the vibrator's in). You have to read notes to make those items spawn. 

The last trophy I had to do involved playing the '14' commodore 64 demo discs. This was giving me grief. I thought I had missed a couple & loading a previous save didn't seem to help so I deleted the save & played half the game again this morning only to find out there are actually only 12 discs in the ps4 version. I wasn't playing some of them long enough, a few of them look like they're glitchy but the program will eventually start if you leave it. I often feel a bit dumber after doing trophy lists but this one left me feeling straight up brain-dead. At least I can hopefully save a bit of time for the two people who'll play this in the future.

There's a good video on youtube showing the spawn location of notes you can use if you get stuck (I didn't use it but probably should have)

Finally, I'll leave the locations of all discs & the earliest chapter you can get them here:

Chapter 3 - Triage 4 (Top Drawer above vibrator in master bedroom)

Chapter 4 - Our Darkness (Upstairs Bathroom cupboard below twin shelves)
                 - Triage 5 (Bottom drawer in kids room with computer)

Chapter 5 - Triage 3 (In kids room to the right of simon says)
                 - Fallout (Single Drawer in lounge room to the right of the fireplace)

Chapter 6 - Triage 2 (Top Drawer in kids room with computer)
                 - Electric (In the same room on a book to the right of the computer)

Chapter 7 - 2nd Realty (On bed in kids room with computer)
                - Slow, Deep & Hard (In the kitchen cupboard below left sink)
                - Triage (Back of the music room top drawer)

Chapter 8 - Industrial Revolution (In the garage on top of a box sitting on the shelves)
                 - Execute Overdrive (Towards the back of the right drawer at bottom of dresser in the dining room, to the left of the fireplace)

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
On 15/09/2020 at 6:56 PM, Cosmokeeper said:

Thank you very much for this! I just noticed that this game has a physical version in the EU and just bought it so these tips will surely come in handy :) Much obliged 

You're welcome & thanks for the kind words of encouragement here & on PSN. That was much appreciated. I think it's great you're going for this 100%, definitely not the usual walking sim experience this one. I wish you the best of luck with it!

I've uploaded that video I mentioned of the last 15 minutes of the 50,000 point run in Pheenyx. It's not the most exciting gameplay but I was on the last life for half the run & didn't take risks. Shows the main strat of shooting then moving (since rapid fire doesn't work well when moving). While it's all pretty simple it's a full hour of doing this. I somehow didn't mind haha.