Shadowgate 1.03 update just released (now 1.04 update July 3 2020), Platinum/trophies now 100% working

drlight66

Alright, got the "cure banshee's curse in less than 500 turns on Master difficulty" trophy.  I played ahead without saving after that, just to see what all is different.  Some things i'm confused about and don't know what to do with some of the items that i have, i have a few guesses but not sure entirely.  

I also discovered a hidden special death for the first time, i think it was #8 or #9

Spoiler

the mouse one after inhaling the white vapor in the lab

, it's really cool that each one of these looks like they have their own special cutscenes lol.  

I feel like I'm super close to a good 6 or 7 accumulation trophies.  I should be super close to 45 unique deaths, 200 items, looking at 600 objects, solving 50 puzzles, consuming 22 items, wearing all equipment and using all spells.  There can't be that many new rooms either that i can go to that have torches in them to light up.  

When i do clear Master, i'll probably do a quick ironman/no saves/single session clear to clear out those 3 trophies, but i'm hoping with the command wheel that i don't accidentally choose a wrong command and die, i'll have to be super careful when i play.

Woohoo!  Made great, great progress today playing for 2 hours.  Earned 6 more trophies (I knew i was close!). 

- Talk to all skulls (i needed to do the black axe quest to speak to the creepy skull in that room AND i missed a big pile of skulls late in the game after having visited that room several times before, luckily i spoke to the one pile, had no idea it was one i actually missed though lol).

By doing the black axe quest, i got 4 more trophies out of that alone. 

-Examine 600 items (thank goodness i got that out of the way!, got it by looking at the different things in the room the black axe was in),

-solve 50 puzzles (there's 5 goblins i haven't killed so that'll bring me up to 55, i have to experiment with the armory to try and figure out how to kill those)

- black axe quest itself

- use all weapons (used black axe quest on myself, i still can't figure out what few other things i need to do to get the 45 unique deaths, i have to be only 1 or 2 deaths away from it

I should be just 1 or 2 edible consumables away from the 22 consumables trophy.  

On a sidenote: i love the insane amount of lore that was added to this game, it really creates a very interesting world with interconnecting stories and characters.  For example, how the black axe was rumored to have 

Spoiler

killed the great wyrm Analoth or something like that, and then when you find it the blade of the axe is embedded in the skull of a huge freakin' wyrm lol

Also, i can't emphasize enough just how crucial it is to have at least 3 different save files going on at once.  I hammered every single crystal up to the great chasm, but now i have to reload an older save to get enough crystals to pass the chasm, then i can hammer the rest of the crystals after that to hopefully get the angry dwarves trophy (EDIT: DON'T DO THAT, YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO PRY THEM WITH THE BAR!).  And then hopefully i can mine enough crystals to get the 200 items trophy, which i should be fairly close to i think although i haven't really counted.  

Also i discovered 4 more hidden deaths, one of which is way out of the way of the main game to get.  I actually knew what it was going to be because of the Zojoi art book for the game lol.  But anyway, I am so relieved to have finally talked to all skulls and most of all looked at 600 different items.  

And finally, once again the game system keeps track of everything you do during every playthrough and seems to record stuff if you die so not everything needs to be done in a single playthrough for accumulation trophies.

Edited by drlight66
  • Like 1

Alrighty, I've since earned 3 more trophies.  Use all spells, pickup 200 different items and burn all torches.  

I looked at a guide and now know what else I'm supposed to do.  I'm pretty annoyed that there's all these things that looked like they were part of puzzles but aren't, like how in the library the chairs and tables are dusty, but there's no way to use the broom on them and they aren't even part of the "clean all cobwebs and dust" trophy.  I mean really?

A lot of these puzzles i could've spent weeks and months trying to figure out and never would have.  Also, i found all hidden deaths, but i didn't do the final room one on Master mode so i'll have to do that again for the trophy to unlock i guess since the trophy specifies it needs to be done on Master, but that's no big deal, i wast just confused at first when i got them all but the trophy didn't unlock.  That final room hidden death cutscene i'm pretty sure isn't even mentioned as being a hidden death.

All of the remaining trophies should be easy, EXCEPT the "burn everything" trophy which looks like it's going to be a huge pain in the butt to get.  I wonder if for example if i have 4 gold coins for example if i need to burn all 4, or just one of each type of item?

• Like 1

Ranari Kai, i may have figured out what you need to do for the final trophy you need (Master Scholar).

Great news and then some bad news lol.

The good news is that i just earned 6 tough trophies to unlock over the course of 30 minutes, including MASTER SCHOLAR =)  I surprisingly got it by using the bar on one of the blue crystals in the catacombs, so i wonder if using a bar on each crystal counts as solving a major puzzle each, because i'm almost certain that i had used the bar on previous blue crystals when going for the "obtain over 200 items" trophy. 

The only other puzzles i can think of that i solved that aren't mandatory for any of the other trophies or game completions are blacksmithing the dirk (heat up dirk with a big source of fire such as the lit bowl that you need to use the hammer on to get the hook, hit it with the hammer twice and then pour water on it) and relighting an extinguished torch (but not completely burned out torch) with either an already lit candle or a source of fire (an already lit torch on a wall included) when the torch has gone out such as if pouring water on it, or using a brand new torch in the bag on a source of fire to go from the "you're torch is out" moment to fully lit room. 

Or even using different skulls in the pumpkin quest room such as the rat skull, i don't know if each type of skull put in the ritual circle counts as a different thing or not though i'm almost certain some of the different skulls when looked at count as new item looked at.

Oh, and i had also used the torch to unfreeze Yorick after freezing him with the blue mist in the lab so maybe that counts as a major puzzle as well?

Also using the bar to pry skulls put in the opening doorway at the very beginning of the game may count as solving a puzzle too though i dunno about that.  But those are the only things i can think of that might count as major puzzles, everything else is required for the other trophies which you've earned....

EjicJOrWsAA8azQ?format=jpg&name=4096x409

I also earned..

- the boon companion trophy (i dunno how anyone is supposed to figure out the library book part of it without looking it up)

- 22 consumables trophy (i drank the frozen blue mist in the lab and didn't get the trophy, then couldn't ever remember eating a mushroom so i ate that and the trophy popped lol),

- all special hidden deaths trophy (turns out that the exploding Yorick trick is considered a hidden death despite not getting the cutscene treatment,

- kill 9 goblins trophy

-and...all recipes in the lab trophy (on Master).

The REALLY bad news though is that when going for the angry dwarves trophy, i smashed the white crystal in the secret room.... and didn't realize that i only had one save file of before i did that... and saved over that save file with a later save file where i had smashed the white crystal.  So.... yeah, i can't make it past the chasm and i need to start a whole new game =( 

So it'll likely take me about 2 hours to get back to where i want to be, i think anyway, now that i've gotten almost all accumulation trophies over and done there's a lot of things i can skip and not have to do anymore, plus i know exactly what to do up to the catacombs so maybe it won't be that bad.  But i'm still gonna have to play through the game at least one more time after that because i don't know anything about what's new past the chasm on Master as i haven't made it past that yet.

Edited by drlight66
  • Like 2

Really good news and some minor bad news.  The bad news is that I'm dumb and misread the requirement for the dwarven miner crystal trophy.  I could have sworn the trophy was to smash all of the crystals with the hammer, not to actually obtain them.  I wasted so much time smashing crystals going for this trophy rofl.  I thought it was weird too to have to smash them because there's more crystals on the other side of the chasm but you need the crystals to cross the chasm, so you'd have to do two separate saves in order to do the trophy.  So anyway... yeah i wasted a ton of time being dumb about this trophy, but the good news is I have a save at the mummy king's room ready to go into the catacombs so i just have to go through them and pry them all loose to get the trophy.  There shouldn't be that many that i haven't already obtained either and i think most of them are on the other side of the chasm, so i should be able to get this trophy pretty easily.

Also, i was slighty wrong about my progress ending saves, i must've thrown the white crystal into the lava and then saved, because i tried to smash it earlier and the game said it was too hard of a material to break.

The really good news is that I got 5 more trophies, including finding 100% location/notes, which i got after finding the first of the "hidden in the dark" relics.  That trophy had me confused too because the demon statue by the lava, Yorick is like "Wow, this looks like some sort of ancient relic, i wonder what it does", so i thought that was related to the trophy but instead it's finding those two hidden items in the dark in what is an incredibly cryptic puzzle.

So i got...

- find 100% of locations/notes

- find the two relics from another time

- beat the game on master without killing goblins

- beat the game on all three difficulty modes

- good housekeeping which i got super quick by sweeping the first rug that i ended up burning instead so many times

The only two tough trophies i have left to do are to burn everything and find the last few unique deaths.  For burning everything, i noticed that scrolls that contain mandatory spells can be burned, which of course halts game progress, but since they can be burned and they disappear after learning the spell, that's gonna be one big "quick load" over and over again thing i'll be doing.  I dunno if i need to throw anything in the lava as part of that trophy, i don't think so but i'm going to burn everything i haven't already burned in previous playthroughs including those scrolls.

Also with my save file at the mummy king's room, i should be able to get the "beat master in under 1000 turns trophy" as i think i'm right around 900 there, and i haven'ts spoken to Yorick despite having hints turned "off" so i wonder if i can get the no hint trophy too.

Also, gotta say that i'm super disappointed that the final boss room is no different on Master than the other difficulties.  One action and that's it, i was expecting something complex.

Edited by drlight66
  • Like 1

Earned 4 more trophies, just have 3 trophies left plus the Platinum =)  The only tricky trophy I have left to get is the Pyromaniac trophy, which i think i can get by burning all of the spell scrolls which can only be done on Master.  The downside is that I'm going to have to do a bunch of quicksaves/quickloads to get this done which is going to be a pain. This also means i'm going to have to do one final playthrough once i get that in order to beat Master mode on ironman mode and in one session.  But if i can get the Pyromaniac trophy, then basically I've got the Platinum lol.

Just earned...

- Master Necromancer,

-Seven Angry Dwarven Miners (note to self: pry the crystals, DON'T DESTROY THEM WITH THE HAMMER, derp) lol.

- Beat Master in less than 1000 turns

- Beat Master without hints (i got this and the 1000 turns trophy by loading an older save file on master before i started talking to Yorick)

Regarding Master Necromancer, i had to look up what the last few deaths were that i missed.  I did the electricity elemental one with the cape on which i never would've figured out, thought i had it, then did the Talimar timer trophy and thought i got it because my controller started to shake (in Shadowgate every time you earn a trophy the dualshock will rumble) but instead that was just a part of the death itself.  So looked up the other deaths, turns out that there's two different deaths from getting killed by the goblins in the barracks even though in both instances they bumrush you and turns out that the final death i was missing was getting zapped by Talimar after talking to him three times in teh final room, which i personally think is ridiculous because i had been zapped by him already in that same room when trying to hit him!  So, whatever.

On a side note, nevermind what i said about using Yorick on the book in the library as part of the Boon Companion trophy, as he says repeatedly during hte 2nd half of the game that Elyren's Stand is one of his favorite poems, and there's a book in the bookshelf of that, so that makes sense, i just never noticed.

I also pryed with the bar several eggs from the Egg Chamber room which i did unexpectedly when messing around lol.  Can't find any purpose for them at all, other than that they would've helped out with the 200 items trophy and look at 600 diff objects trophy which i already earned.  Thought maybe there was some sort of hidden death or something to do in that room but i guess not?

EkB44CCWAAAApOh?format=jpg&name=4096x409

• Like 1

WOOHOO!  ?  I FINALLY GOT THE PLATINUM TROPHY!

Regarding the Pyromaniac trophy, oddly enough I got it after burning the regular flute with my torch and having burned all of the spell scrolls (you can only burn spell scrolls with the torch on Master mode, but of course you'll want to quicksave before burning each one, quickload afterwards and then learn the spell and proceed).  I did throw tons and tons of stuff into the lava flow and the bubbling tar in the fire drake room, I don't know if those contributed to the trophy but I specifically remember having thrown the flute (not the broken flute but the regular flute) into the lava flow before, so it's weird to me that i would get the trophy after burning the flute, but this is where i'm uncertain about the trophy, i had just burned the last spell scroll Ascencur with the torch like 5 seconds before burning the flute, AND like i said i know for a fact i had already thrown the flute into the lava flow.

So regarding the Pyromaniac trophy, unfortunately I can neither confirm nor deny if throwing stuff into the lava flow/fire pits (fire elemental room, fire drake room) factor into this trophy or not.  I don't remember throwing the dragon eggs into the lava flow/fire pits though so it's possible that the trophy is only for things that can be burned by the torch itself.

EDIT: However, I just saw this on the Steam page so it looks like the trophy is only for things that can specifically be burned by the torch.  In fact, I wonder if throwing things into the firepit/lava flow instead of using the torch on them doesn't count... my recommendation would be to just worry about whether the torch will burn it or not.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=632382438

It took me like 2 hours to then speedrun Master mode on ironman mode/single play session.  I was super careful when quickusing something to make sure i didn't accidentally choose the wrong item when having to defeat enemies, since you have to hold the analog stick and it's easy to move the stick and then accidentally select a different item or command right as you press the use button lol.

I also experimented with a bunch of different things to see if i could find any easter eggs or hidden things that no one has reported before, but nope.  I did go back through the library to reread a bunch of the excerpts and saw the excerpts that gave pretty clear hints about creating the cold vapor, freezing/shattering yorick, finding the items in the dark of the catacombs and finding the bent key, all of which i looked up, d'oh, oh well.  Some hints were right in front of me and i just blew it lol.

EkRUhOqWkAEy0JU?format=jpg&name=4096x409

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Hello Shadowgate fans, i revived this topic to ask a question.

Currently trying to get the Survivalist trophy and i found a list from a fellow Greek on Steam which has 27 items that are edible/drinkable. My problem is that i already used "eat" in 24 or 25 of them (noting that i did that, others in different playthroughs or using the quicksave/quickload method) and the trophy still didn't pop 

So my question is, does it have to be in 1 playthrough? The "Water" from different rooms were drunk both straight from the source AND through a vial/bottle. What am i missing? The only thing I didn't eat from the lost are, the MEAT cause i already gave it to the Wyvern at this point, and the ROOTS from Lakmir's hidden door. I'll have to get those in my next playthrough since i did everything else and it didn't pop yet.

Thank you in advance, to whoever sees this and replies! ??

15 hours ago, BlackPhantom1394 said:

Hello Shadowgate fans, i revived this topic to ask a question.

Currently trying to get the Survivalist trophy and i found a list from a fellow Greek on Steam which has 27 items that are edible/drinkable. My problem is that i already used "eat" in 24 or 25 of them (noting that i did that, others in different playthroughs or using the quicksave/quickload method) and the trophy still didn't pop 

So my question is, does it have to be in 1 playthrough? The "Water" from different rooms were drunk both straight from the source AND through a vial/bottle. What am i missing? The only thing I didn't eat from the lost are, the MEAT cause i already gave it to the Wyvern at this point, and the ROOTS from Lakmir's hidden door. I'll have to get those in my next playthrough since i did everything else and it didn't pop yet.

Thank you in advance, to whoever sees this and replies! 1f605.png1f601.png

Hi!  For each playthrough, even ones you don't finish, the game keeps a hidden "stat tracker" of stuff that you do throughout every playthrough and I think so long as you've saved your latest progress and haven't uninstalled the game, the game will keep track of everything you've ever done.

Let's say for example for the "find and light every torch" trophy, say you lit every torch in the game except for the one in the 2nd room of the game right after the first room where you find Yorick's skull and open up the door that has the skulls lining the top of it like an arch.  If that's the only torch you haven't found and lit, then if you start a new playthrough and light it, the trophy will pop.  (also i'm not sure but i think for that trophy you're supposed to light the torches without taking them, but i could be wrong).  

So for the Survivalist trophy, as long as you saved your progress and don't uninstall the game, then you can go back to a previous save, or start a new playthrough, whichever is more convenient, and eat the remaining things that you haven't eaten yet and you ONLY need to eat the remaining things to get the trophy.  Also, i'm not sure how reliable the Steam guides are, but you can also try and "eat" every weapon.  I know you can swallow either a torch or the dirk or sword like a carnival freak lol, though i don't know if those count towards the trophy or not..  Also, i think eating the different things you can make in the lab is also required for the trophy.

Edited by drlight66

Thank you for replying.

I'll copy paste his list from the Steam guide so you can tell me if u remember if there are more or not.

Taken from the guide itself:

"Root (Entrance)

Ice Chip (Cellar)

Water (Cavern Lake)

Water (Waterfall)

Water (Hideaway)

Water (Sewer)

Water (Wizard's Den)

Mushroom (x3, Wizard's Den)

Mud (Courtyard)

Water (Courtyard)

Moss (x2, Well)

Flower (x2, Well)

Mug of Goblin Ale (x2, Guardroom)

Deep Purple Vapor (Laboratory)

White Vapor (Laboratory)

Cyan Vapor (Laboratory)

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ Vapor (Laboratory)

Black Vapor (Laboratory)

Dead Flowers (Battlements) seems to no longer be a valid option

White Teardrop Flower (x2, Summit)

Water (Landing #1, West Tower)

Purple Potion (Prison)

Meat (Strong Room)

Bread (Strong Room)

Kane (x2, Store Room)

Vines (on stairs, Landing #3, South Tower)

Roots (on door, Landing #4, South Tower)"

The only ones i haven't used "eat" are "MEAT" and "ROOTS on door Landing #4, South Tower"

All these i already eaten, were done in a single playthrough but by using quicksave/quickload trick and dying a few times in between to skip traveling times. 

Most likely I'll have to make a whole new playthrough dedicated for this cause I'm not seeing it pop any time soon... ?

16 hours ago, BlackPhantom1394 said:

Thank you for replying.

EDITED DOWN so my reply isn't so huge

The only ones i haven't used "eat" are "MEAT" and "ROOTS on door Landing #4, South Tower"

All these i already eaten, were done in a single playthrough but by using quicksave/quickload trick and dying a few times in between to skip traveling times. 

Most likely I'll have to make a whole new playthrough dedicated for this cause I'm not seeing it pop any time soon... ?

I think you can also eat pumpkin seeds from cutting open a pumpkin but don't remember if that's correct or not.  Also, as I mentioned, you should try eating a lit torch, the dirk (i think that's the sword you start out with) and the sword.  You can try and eat a bone (any bone, doesn't matter, just try it once).  I don't know if these actually count towards the survivalist trophy but attempting to eat them does have your character perform unique actions.

I think you can also try to eat the magic thorn or whatever is it that's hanging from the ceiling past where Lakmir is meditating.

Edited by drlight66
  • Like 1

On 22/7/2022 at 5:44 AM, drlight66 said:

I think you can also eat pumpkin seeds from cutting open a pumpkin but don't remember if that's correct or not.  Also, as I mentioned, you should try eating a lit torch, the dirk (i think that's the sword you start out with) and the sword.  You can try and eat a bone (any bone, doesn't matter, just try it once).  I don't know if these actually count towards the survivalist trophy but attempting to eat them does have your character perform unique actions.

I think you can also try to eat the magic thorn or whatever is it that's hanging from the ceiling past where Lakmir is meditating.

Thank you again for your time. Before going into the catacombs, i started checking everything in my inventory to see everything that has the "eat" option and for some weird reason, the trophy popped when i ate a mushroom even though I'm 100% sure i ate all 3 in a previous playthrough. 

Can't complain tho, since I'm finished with that one as well now! ?

Now the most "difficult" one that's left, is the Lightbringer. Do i have to find all the torches in each difficulty individually?

Edited by BlackPhantom1394

15 hours ago, BlackPhantom1394 said:

Thank you again for your time. Before going into the catacombs, i started checking everything in my inventory to see everything that has the "eat" option and for some weird reason, the trophy popped when i ate a mushroom even though I'm 100% sure i ate all 3 in a previous playthrough. 

Can't complain tho, since I'm finished with that one as well now! 1f601.png

Now the most "difficult" one that's left, is the Lightbringer. Do i have to find all the torches in each difficulty individually?

No, but you should be aware that there are a lot of torches on Apprentice difficulty that are removed from the other two difficulties, so you'll want to make sure to play through Apprentice at least once and burn each torch since there's a lot of them.  However, there are a few rooms that are only accessible in Journeyman and Master difficulties which i think* have a few torches, but as i think about it... i don't think the laboratory, djinn riddle room, the extra rooms in the mines except for maybe the one with the broken standing mirror, the goblin armory, and the giant bone dragon rooms have any torches.  So maybe all of the torches can be found on simply Apprentice difficulty?

Also, i personally think the burn all objects trophy is the toughest and most annoying, since you have to quicksave and quickload a lot to get it, especially with the various scrolls.  

HEY, I JUST LOOKED UP YOUR TROPHY PROGRESS AND SEE THAT YOU GOT THE PLATINUM!  GREAT JOB!  ?   You just earned one of the toughest Platinums to get in the PS4's library!  

One thing I really like about going for the Platinum is that almost every single you do while playing the game slowly adds up. Even just experimenting with different actions and objects, or failing and dying all leads to trophy progression lol.  The game itself is pretty short but it's the trophies that really make the game worthwhile and fun.  The devs, aside from taking a year to fix all of the bugs did a great job with the port, it looks really good, is very user friendly, the action wheel is quick and easy to use and the game's UI is simple and friendly.  

I'm hoping someday the game gets a PS5 native 4k port, though I doubt it'll happen.  Since it's a game all about looking at the screen, playing at 2160p compared to 1080p and enhancing the game's awesome art would be super cool.  I'm also really annoyed that the LimitedRunGames PS4 physical only includes patch 1.02 on it, but it's patch 1.04 that allows the game's Platinum to be achievable.  So if they did a PS5 port and did a physical, i'd def buy the game again.

Edited by drlight66