Wendy's final quest and Recipe Expert info

Whirled03

Finishing Wendy's questline and getting the Recipe Expert trophy is potentially the most stressful thing to do in the game, particularly if you're trying to pair them together (which makes sense to). This is primarily because in order to cook all of the recipes, you need a tremendous amount of ingredients. Some of these ingredients are quite rare; Instant Potatoes, Flour, and some of the seafood (e.g. Squid) can come in very limited quantities. When I got the trophy, I had only seen Instant Potatoes a total of 3 times! And I had basically cleared almost all of locations where ingredients were found.

Given the extreme lack of information about the game in general (let alone trophies) I decided to write a bit of a mini-guide to provide some information on what really helps to tackle this trophy. One important thing to point out is Wendy's inventor recipes (e.g. Mulled Wine) and Event recipes (Blue Blitzer, Birthday Cake) are not required. The drinks (Tea, Coffee, Energy Juice) are also not required, and obviously any of her other recipes, such as the bait, are not required.

• Sidenote - I suppose it is possible that the drinks might be required, but this would have to assume that the data is carried over per playthrough. I do know I made all of the drinks, and the inventor recipes, in a separate playthrough, but I did not make any of them on the playthrough that I got the trophy.

If you're going to make a serious attempt at the Recipe Expert trophy, here's what is strongly suggested:

• The Snowmobile from Maggie's questline
  • Finishing Christophe's questline, with these AKO upgrades:
    • Radar at maximum (I would say this is required). Cell Batteries are hard to find, but I did find some in the Mako Logistics building to the SW of the Church. There are some Cell Batteries at BirdTec HQ.
    • Signal with at least 1 upgrade
    • Drill at maximum
    • Battery with at least 2 upgrades
    • Storage at max (which should be pretty obvious)
    • Remember to actually finish the questline, by getting the Firmware maxed out.

I'm not 100% sure if you need to finish Christophe's questline to enter "AKO only" areas, but I remember trying at one point with only the "manual AKO" ability, and I got a message saying I needed an upgrade. Between Maggie's, Wendy's, and Christophe's quest, you should still have plenty of time, provided you don't make a point to collecting the 1000 RP Trinkets and completing Radio Towers/Substations/BirdTec Vans, and you're not running around wasting time otherwise.

Some Church upgrades to shoot for while you collect other things:

• Furnace level 2
  • Best beds (Felt I think)
  • Wooden Door

The Furnace is nice to get to 2 so you don't have to worry about coming back to fuel the fire while you're out looking for ingredients, and the Beds help to increase the Energy regain of your team. The Wooden Door has kind of a dual function, since it at least gives you a small chance to defend against Scavengers, while providing slightly less fuel consumption for the fire.

With all that said, here are some directions to hit all of the Ships (I think there's a total of 4); all of the Ice Blocks that contain seafood, as well as some regular Containers for ingredients. Before starting out, here's what you may want to bring with you:

• 1 or 2 Campsite Tents (you will get 1 more if you follow my directions). Put these down when your inventory is full so you can use the AKO deposit box to get more room.
  • 4 C4 (or Handmade Charges)
  • Optional - 5 Lockpicks (there's a Military Crate we'll go by that is locked)

As for the directions:

1. A good place to start is the Lighthouse. While you're there, use AKO's Signal for 2 Dig Spots, for some Fish Scraps. There is one just south of the Lighthouse's entrance, and one to the northeast.
  2. When you have those, follow the coastline north and you should get to Ice Block #1, on the coast, which holds various seafood (octopus, squid, etc).
  3. Head directly east from Block #1 (onto the frozen water) and you should see a mass of snow on the water, making an "island" of sorts. On this island is Ice Block #2.
  4. Head directly south from Block #2 (a very short distance) and you'll hit Ship #1, and Ice Block #3 right next to it.
  5. Head direct west from Ship #1 to get back to the coast. Chances are you'll see the tail of an airplane sticking out of the water, that's where you want to go next. If you don't see it, it's almost directly west of Ship #1, and slightly south. It's basically a gigantic mass of airplane debris and ice, so it should be easy to spot.
  6. At the airplane debris, head to to the eastern side; you should see a turbine, and Ice Block #4 right next to it.
  7. From Block #4, head south, and you should hit the coast almost immediately. In the water nearby, should be Ice Block #5. For reference, the Ice Block should be at the point where the coastline curves to the west.
  8. From Block #5, follow the coastline south, and a very short distance away should be Ship #2, with Ice Block #6 located on the coast a very short distance southwest of the entrance to the Ship.
  9. From the Ship #2's entrance (not from the Block), head directly west and you should encounter a C4 Container. Just west of that Container (within walking distance) should be another Container, but it's open, so no C4 is needed for it.
  10. In this vicinity with these 2 Containers, look around the north/northwest, and you should see an impassable crevice/faultline/whatever they are. If you follow this to the west (staying on the north side) you'll reach a Military Crash Site. There's a body here with a Rock Poster (1000 RP Trinket) a Campsite Tent, and a MRE. There's also a Military Crate (needs a Lockpick); this has a Military Radio in it, which does not seem to have an apparent use, so don't bother to pick it up (I don't think it's a Trinket).
  11. Head directly south from the Military Crash Site (go east, back to the containers to loop around the crevice) and you should reach a BirdTec Van that should appear towards the east. The Van doesn't have anything next to it, it's just in the middle of the snow, so if you hit the coastline again, you went too far south (or potentially too far east).
  12. From the BirdTec Van, head directly west and you should hit the Chitty's Flower Depot building. Here, look for an opening in the south fenceline, stop here for the next direction.
  13. Head directly southwest from this opening in the fenceline (don't zigzag, go straight) and in a very short distance there should be a pile of containers in the snow. One of them is open for some free ingredients.
  14. From the open container, keep heading west, and very shortly you should see a C4 Container. This might also unlock the "Container Terminal" location when you go to open it.
  15. Directly south of the C4 Container is Ship #3. To get there by Snowmobile, head west a bit to loop around the rocks, or just walk there directly, it's not too long of a walk.
  16. Once you're done, head back up to the C4 Container and follow the coastline to the west. You'll go northward for a bit, then more westward. Once you hit some more airplane wreckage, stop when you see a blue wing sticking out of the ground.
  17. From this blue wing, head directly north, and you should see a pile of rocks. Just to the west of the rocks is another C4 Container.
  18. From the Container, continue west (if you run into rocks, move to the south of them to get by, and continue west). Eventually you should see a crane in the camera view, which is where another Container Terminal is. At this Terminal, next to the Crane, is another C4 Container.
  19. Head south from this Container and get back on the frozen water. Maneuver your way around the various ice blocks, but continue to head south. Eventually you should see a giant red propeller sticking out of the water, and nearby is Ship #4.

And you're done. If you need more Fish Scraps for some reason (you should only need 2), there are 2 more Dig spot locations, way in the SW corner of the map. Since it's kind of a pain to get there, I would recommend just following this link:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/468000/discussions/0/1471967615846008981/

The 5th post has a screenshot titled "Two more dig spots..." which you should be able to follow just with some basic exploration of the SW area of the map. The area in the screenshot is a small "snow island" in the water. For reference, in the screenshot with the radar, the houses to the south is an area called "Elm Street". If you do get to the Dig location, there is another C4 Container to the northeast.

You will certainly need more ingredients (like Salt, Sugar) than what the directions give though. Always check the kitchen area of Houses (if they have one); there at least 2 other Diners besides the ones that Wendy forces you to go to; Gas Stations frequently have ingredients as well. There are at least two "Parking Lots", one is (I think) in the far S/SW, and has 3 C4 Containers surrounding it, and 1 C4 Container inside the Parking Lot itself. The other Parking Lot is in the east (iirc), but I don't remember if it had any Containers.

You will need at least 1 Bear Ribs (raw) and 1 Deer Ribs (raw), but an easy solution to this is to set Blane to the "Hunter" role. He regularly comes back with these. You will need multiple raw meat ingredients, so I would recommend keeping the cooking (via the fire) at a minimum. When I assigned Wendy to cook, I usually gave her the "Quick Worker" role, and stayed inside the Church, managing other things, while she finished. Wendy can get injured frequently with Quick Worker, so it's ideal to have some Bandages and Painkillers stocked before assigning it (you can buy them from Traders).

One final note is that I read there is a thing called "Salt Crates" in some of the Substation areas, but I honestly never found one in all the areas I explored (I will admit I didn't go everywhere though), but it's something to potentially keep an eye out for.

Edited by Whirled03
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

All solid tips. I would also suggest waiting on doing recipes til after you are able to craft the Fish Pie so that your seafood recipes unlock. If you want to craft recipes I suggest doing those that tend to not be light on resources and are usually the first few listed. 

Powdered Potatoes & flour really really frustrated me as I gave up on a play through because I couldn't find the potatoes after searching for quite some time. I had one recipe left and that was Peach Cobbler (flour) and I nearly ran out of days on that til I got lucky and found some by the lighthouse section. I did find Powdered Potatoes in one of the store rooms of one of the gas stations so always search those thoroughly.

Also suggest writing down the recipes as you do them so that you don't accidentally do them twice and waste resources. I'm glad I went back and finished this game.