Xbox Live Users Suffering Compromised Accounts Related to FIFA DLC

Wade_VC

It seems Sony is not the only one being attacked these days. A number of Xbox Live users are reporting having their accounts compromised, with unauthorized purchases and game time related to FIFA 11 and FIFA 12 then being made from those accounts. Many of the users are finding out via emails to the accounts tied to their Xbox Live Gamertags.

“Yesterday, my live account got hijacked and charged just over $100. Specifically, two large purchases of points followed by the download of FIFA 12, which had 2 achievements unlocked for the game, and every MS point spent on Gold Premium Packs and DLC," one reader told Ars Technica.

One reader over are the Consumerist actually watched the hacker using Microsoft Points in real-time.

“I watched from my computer as the account went from 10,680 MS Points down to 70. There is nothing on XBOX Live Market Place that is under 120 points ($.99) so I am sure they left it at that and are moving on to the next victim,” he wrote.

A number of the purchases seem to FIFA Gold Premium content packs, which contain in-game players that can be traded to other users. The packs come in a random assortment when you purchase them – like baseball cards – so the hackers could be using the attacks to collect their “ultimate team”. Eurogamer reports that the issue may be related to accounts tied to EA servers, with EA support being tricked into handing over Xbox Live information.

This has been an issue rolling across sporadic users for the past few months now. Wonder when a fix will come from Microsoft or EA? On the other hand, EA must be pretty happy about the FIFA DLC revenue coming in.

Source: Industry Gamers