Any good?

MMDE

This trilogy was first released for mobile, but it's not very apparent from the games themselves. They were never free to play, but paid, so there's no trace of free to play elements. The games have you progress from fight to fight, earning xp and gold, which can improve your hero and help you raise an army. The battle system is turn based tactical RPG, but instead of the normal square grid, it's hexagonal. The battle system is very much like Heroes of Might & Magic, but there's no town building. You need to play all three games on hard, never change the difficulty, which can be pretty difficult / tiresome. Each fight is a struggle, and you should max out your possible party. The second game also has some missable trophies (you may lock yourself out of a spell by leveling incorrectly). There's some okay / decent guides on steam. The game is pretty easy on easy, but yeah, on hard, many fights feel like you won't be able to finish it. If you run out of a fight or die, you may still get some xp and money, which might be the only way to get more money to purchase more party members if you spend your money unwisely. Each game is longer and kind of a progression of the previous in terms of gameplay elements and enemies. The game is by the same people as who did Spaceland, which is a pretty similar game, but that game is more linear and have you replay levels to meet various requirements and beat on different difficulties, and just a small party. After each battle, your entire team is restored, but the more causalities you get, the less money you earn.

Was it any good? It wasn't bad, it wasn't great. If you want some challenge, it definitely delivers that. Takes like 15-25+ hours, where the last game takes definitely the longest, and is more open.

I streamed the entire game, in case you wanna see what it's like or you get stuck etc. Some fights might be difficult. I was particularly happy with what I did against the very last boss in the third game. I recommend you use the "boost" you can buy at the very last boss. I didn't in the third game, I used it at what I thought was the last boss, but was the second to last instead, which is why I'm so happy about what I did against last.

Edited by MMDE

3 hours ago, AJ_-_808 said:

@MMDE

Do you know if there's any benefit from completing a campaign on normal before hard?  Does anything carry over?

Nothing carry over. I had to replay second game due to leveling incorrectly. I replayed second game because I didn't get all the Ice spells, i put points into getting extra gold instead. The replaying to get all the ice spells took like 1 hour, so not a huge issue (video part 4, 7 hours 20 mins to 8 hours 20 mins).

Never change the difficulty, like don't change it to normal and then back to hard, even if you never move or do anything else. The game ask you if you wanna lower a lot too, so make sure you never change it. I know if you ever change it, two of the trophies are void.

Edited by MMDE

6 hours ago, MMDE said:

Nothing carry over. I had to replay second game due to leveling incorrectly. I replayed second game because I didn't get all the Ice spells, i put points into getting extra gold instead. The replaying to get all the ice spells took like 1 hour, so not a huge issue (video part 4, 7 hours 20 mins to 8 hours 20 mins).

Never change the difficulty, like don't change it to normal and then back to hard, even if you never move or do anything else. The game ask you if you wanna lower a lot too, so make sure you never change it. I know if you ever change it, two of the trophies are void.

I accidentally started on normal and had to restart on hard.  For the trophies "use X actively", I assume there's a hidden counter?  Do you know roughly how many times the skills have to be used for it to pop? I feel like I use fire arrow whenever it's available and nothing popped for it yet.

1 hour ago, AJ_-_808 said:

I accidentally started on normal and had to restart on hard.  For the trophies "use X actively", I assume there's a hidden counter?  Do you know roughly how many times the skills have to be used for it to pop? I feel like I use fire arrow whenever it's available and nothing popped for it yet.

IIRC, it's like 3, 5 or 10 for each. It's detailed in the steam guide. There's no good guide for the last game though. I never struggled to get any of the trophies though.