Which ending is considered the 'true ending'?

Hello! I'm new to the series, so apologies if this is a dumb question. Just as the title says, is there and ending out of the 5 that is considered to be the 'true ending'? I read that in Automata Ending E is mostly considered to be the true ending, but was just curious which ending is considered to be canon for Replicant? 

No spoilers please! I want to experience it all for myself :)

There is no "true" ending.

Yoko Taro's game's all have multiple endings, and every ending leads to different things. All are canon.

For example: Drakengard 1 has 5 endings. 1 of them leads to Drakengard 2, and another leads to Nier Replicant. Some of his games have endings that lead to books or plays. They're all the "true" endings, they just all happen to lead to different stuff.

That said: Ending E leads to Automata, so if you choose to believe any of them are more "true" than the others, it's that one.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, CommodoreKD said:

Yoko Taro's game's all have multiple endings, and every ending leads to different things. All are canon.

For example: Drakengard 1 has 5 endings. 1 of them leads to Drakengard 2, and another leads to Nier Replicant. Some of his games have endings that lead to books or plays. They're all the "true" endings, they just all happen to lead to different stuff.

That said: Ending E leads to Automata, so if you choose to believe any of them are more "true" than the others, it's that one.

This is very helpful, thank you! 

22 hours ago, CommodoreKD said:

While this is true, in NieR's case ending D directly leads into E which is not only based on the novel that added a bunch of backstory for characters and tied it to Drakengard, but it was the original epilogue. Yeah, Taro considers all endings canon since he pulls stuff from all over the place while not restricting himself to doing different stories if he wants to tell them down the line, that's why Father and Brother are both canon, but in NieR's case it's made pretty clear that Ending D is where things have finality and a continuation and ending D follows into Grimoire Nier/Ending E. Plus A through C end fairly abruptly with no explanations or in C's case with an open end that doesn't give you a satisfying conclusion. Grimoire Nier/Ending E both give you that proper finale for the story which is not present in any other ending.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, soliunasm said:

While this is true, in NieR's case ending D directly leads into E which is not only based on the novel that added a bunch of backstory for characters and tied it to Drakengard, but it was the original epilogue. Yeah, Taro considers all endings canon since he pulls stuff from all over the place while not restricting himself to doing different stories if he wants to tell them down the line, that's why Father and Brother are both canon, but in NieR's case it's made pretty clear that Ending D is where things have finality and a continuation and ending D follows into Grimoire Nier/Ending E. Plus A through C end fairly abruptly with no explanations or in C's case with an open end that doesn't give you a satisfying conclusion. Grimoire Nier/Ending E both give you that proper finale for the story which is not present in any other ending.

Okay, I think I'm starting to understand now. I don't play many 'multi-ending' games, so your explanation was very helpful.