My thoughts on Cyberpunk 2077 on Older Gen Consoles

Rook_MoonHammer

I was very hesitant in writing this as I was always on board the Cyberpunk 2077 train. Have been since the tabletop. 

When I picked up Cyberpunk 2077, it was for my PS4. I figured that it would be easier for me to actually get into the game as early as I could without having to worry about the PS5 shortages and there is no way in hell my PC would run it anytime soon. 

I got into the game prior to the first major patch. I was one of the lucky few who only had crashes come in the single digits. I'm not going to sit here and waste anyone's time. Is the game playable? Yes. Is it playable without bugs? Well, no. 

If you don't mind some graphical downgrades (Stutters, meshing issues, frame rate drops, etc), then you should be able to enjoy a decent, if not majority, of this game. Especially now that CDPR has been hard at work trying to turn this into a decent gem of a game. Especially in vehicle handling. 

Some major glitches are still there. Quests bugging out, trophies not unlocking, etc. And even worse, there are reports that even after patching your game, it is not guaranteed to work at 100% until you start over a new game. Yeah, that part kinda sucks. 

Would I say that it's worth the entire $60 that I spent on it? No way. But could it be down the line, sure. It's definitely playable in its current state if you can forgive some of the things I listed above though. 

Now if anyone wants to hear me rambling about CDPR and their ongoing struggle, feel free to keep on reading below. From this point on, the game state review is currently over. 

In a way, I kinda feel sorry for CDPR. Fans wanted this game. Granted, it came at no fault to anyone but CDPR. I think that's really where a lot of the issues come in. They hyped this game up waaaaay too early. Fans were hooked and they wanted it. They couldn't deliver on a full game at the time, despite fans wanting it ASAP. 

Does that mean we as fans are to blame? A little. CDPR is not without blame themselves, but the way I look at it, the fanbase for this game did get a little impatient. CDPR did say that the game was not finished. Mix that with Covid issues with development and I think it really took its toll. 

In the end, I really think this game has a chance to be something great. Akin to how Fallout 76 or No Mans Sky is now. Nowhere near being perfect upon release, but really showing the dedication of the people who worked on it from the beginning to turn it into something that I'm glad to own. 

Hope this helps someone in deciding to pick it up. It's worth it, and it will get better from here. 

Good luck convincing people that it's, even in some small way, their fault lol.

It's definitely not the consumers fault that they knowingly released a game that didn't work.  People would've moaned if they delayed again but it wouldn't have been anywhere close to what did end up happening.  Though I don't think any amount of delaying would've really helped tbh.

That being said, people need to take a chill pill and realize that no one is forcing them to buy these games.  Especially not before or on release day.  Adopting early is going to be a risk with literally any product in any industry, a risk that people need to accept if they're going to do it.  Developers are human, businesses put money before quality, nothing is ever perfect right out of the gate.

21 minutes ago, Rook_MoonHammer said:

In the end, I really think this game has a chance to be something great. Akin to how Fallout 76 or No Mans Sky is now.

I feel like a story-driven single player game like Cyberpunk doesn't have the longevity to re-invent itself and win people over like those MMO's and pure sandbox games.  Most people won't go back once they finish the story.

Edited by Dreakon13

1 minute ago, Dreakon13 said:

Adopting early is going to be a risk with literally any product in any industry, one that people need to accept if they're going to do it.  Developers are human, businesses put money before quality, nothing is ever perfect right out of the date.

Personally, I didn't even think to bring this up. But it is a great point. Just (almost every) Assassins Creed, Coming in early (especially to a huge story-driven) game like this, You are bound to run into a lot of problems. 

2 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Good luck convincing people that it's, even in some small way, their fault lol.

I'm not directly saying that it's the consumer's fault. There are a lot of moving pieces in the release of a game of ANY caliber. In this situation, a lot of factors led to what we are currently dealing with. is it all one party's fault though? No. 

2 minutes ago, Rook_MoonHammer said:

Coming in early (especially to a huge story-driven) game like this, You are bound to run into a lot of problems. 

Cyberpunk's issues are on another level and definitely shouldn't get a pass, more complex games have released in better states.

But generally speaking, this is a possibility early adopters should prepare themselves for and temper their expectations accordingly.

7 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Cyberpunk's issues are on another level and definitely shouldn't get a pass, more complex games have released in better states.

You're completely right. My only focus for writing this was to highlight the game as it is now to inform others on whether or not money was either spent well or if it is worth picking up at the moment. There are still a decent bit of issues that need to be addressed. I just hope that CDPR continues in their efforts to fix them instead of worrying about DLC this early.