Can't Access Old Save Data

RoyalSimplicity

So I played through RE Village twice and made sure to make separate save slots in the typewriter for each of my completed data. Today after I beat my second run I decided to buy all the figures and concept art in the bonus shop store to unlock the two trophies attached to them. I remember seeing that you could back up save data somehow and go back to a save file beforehand to regain all your CP after this. So I went to where the data for RE Village was saved on my PS4 (under the "Storage", "System Storage", "Saved Data" in the settings menu) and deleted the most recent save files. I made sure to leave all of my previous save files from my two runs, and the save file I made right before I bought all the figures and concept art in the store. When I started up Village after this it did not seem to register that I had played the game before and I lost everything. None of my stuff was there from previous runs, and it only gave me the option to start a new game. However, all of the trophies I earned, and my previous saved data were still on my actual system. I looked up help online and tried to do upload my saved data that is still on my PS4 for Village to the PS Plus cloud then redownload it on my system hoping that would refresh the game but it still thinks that I've never played it before. My completed save data is still on my PS4 system and in my cloud but for some reason, I cannot get the actual game to register it is there. Is there something I am doing wrong? I've never done this with any other game before so I honestly have no clue what I'm doing. If anyone has any suggestions at all I would really appreciate it!

So far no one has replied but I figured I'd give an update. I tried deleting and reinstalling the game multiple times, and this morning I contacted PlayStation support and they said to do a Data Rebuild through safe mode. That didn't work either and the only other option they had was for me to do a hard reset however, I am in no way willing to do that for one game. Unfortunately, it seems I just need to accept the loss on this, I really enjoyed this game so I'll probably end up replaying from scratch. My previous save data is still both on my physical system and my cloud so maybe one day it'll fix itself. All my trophies so far have also stayed so there's still proof that I beat the game before. Thank you to anyone who read this and if anyone has any other suggestions please let me know as I'd still be open to trying more things! 

4 minutes ago, RoyalSimplicity said:

So far no one has replied but I figured I'd give an update. I tried deleting and reinstalling the game multiple times, and this morning I contacted PlayStation support and they said to do a Data Rebuild through safe mode. That didn't work either and the only other option they had was for me to do a hard reset however, I am in no way willing to do that for one game. Unfortunately, it seems I just need to accept the loss on this, I really enjoyed this game so I'll probably end up replaying from scratch. My previous save data is still both on my physical system and my cloud so maybe one day it'll fix itself. All my trophies so far have also stayed so there's still proof that I beat the game before. Thank you to anyone who read this and if anyone has any other suggestions please let me know as I'd still be open to trying more things! 

I don't know about RE Village, but some games create an extra file that stores all the information about the main save with settings, and it won't detect your saves without it

• Like 1

Thank you so much I didn’t even know this was a thing! Maybe that’s it but its weird because I only deleted new saves none of the old ones so I don’t understand why all of the saves would be affected lol. Thank you for your response!!

On 8/8/2021 at 0:27 PM, SnowxSakura said:

I don't know about RE Village, but some games create an extra file that stores all the information about the main save with settings, and it won't detect your saves without it

Thank you so much I didn’t even know this was a thing! Maybe that’s it but its weird because I only deleted new saves none of the old ones so I don’t understand why all of the saves would be affected lol. Thank you for your response!!

8 minutes ago, RoyalSimplicity said:

Is the game on the latest patch when you're trying to load your save? Have you tried running it on the 1.00 patch and see if it works there?

15 minutes ago, RoyalSimplicity said:

For some games there will be files often named "system", "settings" or "config". It's not unusual for these saves to be updated/overwritten every time you play the game, and not unusual for these files to actually contain the majority of your progress. If you deleted something like that, it might explain why your game doesn't seem to be recognising any pre-existing save. Your actual progress could have been in a "system" file, with your in-game saves also being tied to that file, and not being able to be recognised without it. You could try starting a new game to see if it creates a new system file. It's unlikely it will bring back your progress, but there is a chance it might. I know there's been two or three games throughout the years where this has been the case for me, where it's actually recommended to delete the "system" file when there's a game breaking glitch or issues with trophies unlocking.

The only other situations I've encountered like this, where a save is present but the game doesn't recognise it, is when the save or game are of different regions (saves are usually region locked), but unless you're suddenly playing with a different regional version of the game, I highly doubt that's the case in this situation.

8 hours ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

For some games there will be files often named "system", "settings" or "config". It's not unusual for these saves to be updated/overwritten every time you play the game, and not unusual for these files to actually contain the majority of your progress. If you deleted something like that, it might explain why your game doesn't seem to be recognising any pre-existing save. Your actual progress could have been in a "system" file, with your in-game saves also being tied to that file, and not being able to be recognised without it. You could try starting a new game to see if it creates a new system file. It's unlikely it will bring back your progress, but there is a chance it might. I know there's been two or three games throughout the years where this has been the case for me, where it's actually recommended to delete the "system" file when there's a game breaking glitch or issues with trophies unlocking.

The only other situations I've encountered like this, where a save is present but the game doesn't recognise it, is when the save or game are of different regions (saves are usually region locked), but unless you're suddenly playing with a different regional version of the game, I highly doubt that's the case in this situation.

That might be it then, after this happened I played through the beginning until I got to a typewriter to see if maybe I just needed to reach a save point to fix it but none of my previous saves were there either. I’m a little curious to see if maybe I beat the game again from scratch my other saves will come back but then again that doesn’t make a lot of sense either. I remember seeing a system file made whenever I would start the game to see if my old saves came back, I know I deleted a couple of those AFTER the game stopped registering my old saves cause I thought that maybe they were what was stopping the game from doing that. I don’t remember the exact saves I deleted originally that caused this but honestly now that you mention it one of them probably was a system save file. 

9 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

Is the game on the latest patch when you're trying to load your save? Have you tried running it on the 1.00 patch and see if it works there?

Yeah I think so, I just got the (I think) first update for the game yesterday and this happened to me on Saturday. I was actually hoping the update would somehow help fix this issue. 

Edited by RoyalSimplicity
Fixed response