Info about the Wizardry games

The purpose of this post is not to serve as a guide to obtain the trophies, but to clear some confusion and share the information I gathered while investigating these games and where and how to buy them, in an effort to save a lot of hassle to however many will be interested in these games from this point forward. I know they are very old games but it's bound to help someone out there.

First of all, there are two different Wizardry games on PS consoles (with trophies), and only one of them got localized to english (and only the ps3 version). I say this because in their game pages here on psnprofiles they have the same name and almost the same release dates. That is not accurate information. And I don't blame whoever did this because they are very similar games of which there's not much info about on the internet and there are thousands of games to track.

So, the first game released is Wizardry: Torawareshi Tamashii no Meikyū (ウィザードリィ 囚われし魂の迷宮), was sold digitally on JP PSN on December 9, 2009, later localized to english as Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls. It released as a digital only game on May 16, 2011 or June 1, 2011 (conflicting sources) for NA region and on December 7, 2011 for PAL regions (EU). That's on ps3, but it was then ported to the Vita on December 3, 2015 (JP PSN store only).

The second game is Wizardry: Torawareshi Bōrei no Machi (ウィザードリィ 囚われし亡霊の街), meaning: Wizardry: Town of Imprisoned Spirits, released ONLY IN JAPAN, on January 27, 2011 on ps3, ported to Vita on February 5, 2016 (JP PSN store only). This game is listed here as if it had released on ps3 for NA and EU regions, and has the name of Labyrinth of Lost Souls. This is wrong, it was only released on Japan and has a different name.

The Vita version of Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls has its trophy list on english, but it was only released on JP. I thought the Vita port was localized because of the english trophies, but it's not, only the ps3 version is.

At first, months before typing this, I didn't thoroughly check the information about the games, I didn't see the series tab here, clearly stating that they are different games, and I got confused and thought they were the same game due to having the same release dates and the same japanese name (I didn't pay attention to the different kanji, only the romanji names). I mistakenly assumed the english lists were the localized version and the others were the JP versions.

Now, if you want to buy them, first thing you'll notice is that there is no Vita physical versions, or at least I couldn't find them anywhere. So digital it's the only way. There's a bundle with both games and all of their DLCs for 5200¥. 

The PS3 English version is digital only, 7€ or 10$. I found two different physical versions for ps3 on ebay, but there's actually three (only the japanese versions are in physical format for both games):

- The one that says FULL PACKAGE is the first game with an expansion that didn't come to the west called "The Red Shadow of the Sister", Shūdō On'na no Akaki Kage (修道女の赤き影). So it's only Labyrinth of Lost Souls and the expansion.

- The second one is the TWIN PACK, which includes both games but it's missing the 2 DLCs of Town of Imprisoned Souls. You will have to buy them separately. 

- And finally there is Wizardry: PERFECT PACK. It includes both games, and all of the DLCs, including the expansion of Labyrinth of Lost Souls. 

They are expensive so digital may be the best option. You can buy the digital version of Town of Imprisoned Souls with its DLCs for 3400¥.

Sources and useful links:

https://psprices.com/region-jp/search/?q=wizard&platform=PSVita&content_type=

https://psprices.com/region-jp/search/?q=wizard&platform=PS3&content_type=

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wizardry

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wizardry:_Labyrinth_of_Lost_Souls

Edited by tony_snake_24
Grammar
  • Like 1

Regarding Japanese physical releases of the PS3 editions, I would like to add that there is a "Perfect Pack" that was released December 8, 2011. This includes both games with all of their DLC as well as an additional dungeon that, AFAIK, is otherwise unobtainable. Used copies are very expensive (¥11,000+).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cckerberos said:

Regarding Japanese physical releases of the PS3 editions, I would like to add that there is a "Perfect Pack" that was released December 8, 2011. This includes both games with all of their DLC as well as an additional dungeon that, AFAIK, is otherwise unobtainable. Used copies are very expensive (¥11,000+).

Thank you, I didn't find that one listed on ebay. Seems to be the physical equivalent of the Vita digital bundle sold for 5200¥ I talked about here, as that one also includes both games with all dlcs, except that it's for the PS3. I don't know if the Vita digital bundle has that exclusive dungeon.

6 hours ago, cckerberos said:

Wait, the Perfect Pack doesn't include both games according to the first wiki link above. 

"A retail release with the game and the expansion titled Wizardry: Full Pack was released for the PlayStation 3 and iPhone in Japan on July 6, 2011"

"A retail release with the game, the expansion and extra items sold individually as downloadable content titled Wizardry: Perfect Pack was released only for the PlayStation 3 in Japan on December 8, 2011"

And for some reason I skipped the second retail release, sorry about that. I'll update it.

2 hours ago, tony_snake_24 said:

Thank you, I didn't find that one listed on ebay. Seems to be the physical equivalent of the Vita digital bundle sold for 5200¥ I talked about here, as that one also includes both games with all dlcs, except that it's for the PS3. I don't know if the Vita digital bundle has that exclusive dungeon.

Wait, the Perfect Pack doesn't include both games according to the first wiki link above. 

"A retail release with the game and the expansion titled Wizardry: Full Pack was released for the PlayStation 3 and iPhone in Japan on July 6, 2011"

"A retail release with the game, the expansion and extra items sold individually as downloadable content titled Wizardry: Perfect Pack was released only for the PlayStation 3 in Japan on December 8, 2011"

And for some reason I skipped the second retail release, sorry about that. I'll update it.

The publisher's website has a chart showing what's included with what:

graph_large.jpg?TB_iframe=true&width=900

The row in yellow is the Perfect Pack, so it definitely includes everything.

(That they felt the need to post this chart shows that they definitely need to rethink their release strategy)

Edited by cckerberos
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, cckerberos said:

The publisher's website has a chart showing what's included with what:

graph_large.jpg?TB_iframe=true&width=900

The row in yellow is the Perfect Pack, so it definitely includes everything.

(That they felt the need to post this chart shows that they definitely need to rethink their release strategy)

Thank you for the help! I'll update the post.

I assume the edition below the Perfect Pack is the Twin Edition. So it's in fact missing the 2 dlcs (scenario 2 & 3) 

Edited by tony_snake_24