How is this game with the latest patch installed?

• 2 weeks later...

I can't speak for the state of the game when it released because I didn't start it then, but as of now on my PS4 Pro (with SSD) it runs fine. Only time there is performance issues is when there is A LOT going on at once (I'm talking 12+ mechs plus fodder on the go at the same time) but these missions are few and far between (and I believe some might be tied to the DLC anyway), and it's only by a few frames.

Other than that, there's the jumping from planet to planet on the Starmap which is a very basic cutscene but can 80% of the time cause stuttering, and it's random by how bad it can be. I believe it does it more when in co-op.

Haven't got round to trying it on the PS5 yet. 

Overall though, my experience has been solid. No crashes or anything of the sort.

Edit: Oh, just a heads up - the game likes to auto save. A lot. And it doesn't seem to overwrite its own autosave files, creating a new one every time. This can be from loading into the mission map, after completing the mission (mission 'reward' screen where you can select salvage), and from travelling to each new planet.

As you can imagine, it will build up quite fast, so you'll have to manage your files from time to time depending how much you play. 

I tend to pause the game when in my dropship, select 'Load Game' from the menu and delete the autosaves from there after every other mission, or mission depending on how much travelling I've done between.

Edited by InjusticeReborn
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, InjusticeReborn said:

I can't speak for the state of the game when it released because I didn't start it then, but as of now on my PS4 Pro (with SSD) it runs fine. Only time there is performance issues is when there is A LOT going on at once (I'm talking 12+ mechs plus fodder on the go at the same time) but these missions are few and far between (and I believe some might be tied to the DLC anyway), and it's only by a few frames.

Other than that, there's the jumping from planet to planet on the Starmap which is a very basic cutscene but can 80% of the time cause stuttering, and it's random by how bad it can be. I believe it does it more when in co-op.

Haven't got round to trying it on the PS5 yet. 

Overall though, my experience has been solid. No crashes or anything of the sort.

Edit: Oh, just a heads up - the game likes to auto save. A lot. And it doesn't seem to overwrite its own autosave files, creating a new one every time. This can be from loading into the mission map, after completing the mission (mission 'reward' screen where you can select salvage), and from travelling to each new planet.

As you can imagine, it will build up quite fast, so you'll have to manage your files from time to time depending how much you play. 

I tend to pause the game when in my dropship, select 'Load Game' from the menu and delete the autosaves from there after every other mission, or mission depending on how much travelling I've done between.

Thank you for the info :). What are the controls and Mech handling like?

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.

Took me a while to get used to - you can control your Mech's torso separate to the direction you're moving, but its second nature now having played it almost daily since starting.

Keep in mind I have never played a Mech Warrior game with a controller, I only played on PC back in the day and that was years and years ago. ?

Your bumper/triggers are your weapon 'groups' (depending on how many you have on your Mech), and you can assign each group to any one should you prefer to fire certain weapon types with a certain button. This can be done during the mission via pause menu or in the Mech Bay on your Drop Ship.

R2 = weapon group 1

L2 = weapon group 2

R1 = weapon group 3

L2 = weapon group 4

X = Jump Jets

Square = interact with salvageable containers

Triangle = cycle through enemies within range/line of sight

Circle = actually don't remember if it does anything?

Your D-pad does various things, but mostly you'll be pressing up because that is where you might be giving commands to your Lance (AI team mates if any). Note that the friendly AI is hit or miss. Sometimes they'll listen to you if you ask them to target a specific enemy, other times it's best to have them just follow you and let them target whatever.

Right in the D-pad does 'Abilities'. All I recall using here is Airstrikes, and they're pretty useless. You can get these through the Negotiation stage of accepting a mission.

Down on the D-pad if I remember rightly can allow you to switch between other Mechs in your Lance if you wish, for whatever reason. You can also toggle between cockpit view and 'drone' (third person over the shoulder).

Can't remember what left on the D-pad does. ?

Pressing the Right thumbstick toggles zoom. X2 and x4 before cycling back 

The Mech handling is as you'd expect - they're walking tanks - the heavier ones are quite slow and clunky. You can get upgrades to make them faster, turn faster etc. but I never bothered.

As you may well be aware, some have Jump Jets, but in my opinion they're not worth the weight.

Oh, somewhere in the D-pad options you can turn off 'speed decay', which basically means when on if you let go of the left thumbstick you'll slow down, whereas if you turn it off, you can remain at top speed (or whatever speed you like) and release the thumbstick and it'll remain at that speed - cruise control if you will. Personal preference to consider.

Edited by InjusticeReborn
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, InjusticeReborn said:

Took me a while to get used to - you can control your Mech's torso separate to the direction you're moving, but its second nature now having played it almost daily since starting.

Keep in mind I have never played a Mech Warrior game with a controller, I only played on PC back in the day and that was years and years ago. 1f61d.png

Your bumper/triggers are your weapon 'groups' (depending on how many you have on your Mech), and you can assign each group to any one should you prefer to fire certain weapon types with a certain button. This can be done during the mission via pause menu or in the Mech Bay on your Drop Ship.

R2 = weapon group 1

L2 = weapon group 2

R1 = weapon group 3

L2 = weapon group 4

X = Jump Jets

Square = interact with salvageable containers

Triangle = cycle through enemies within range/line of sight

Circle = actually don't remember if it does anything?

Your D-pad does various things, but mostly you'll be pressing up because that is where you might be giving commands to your Lance (AI team mates if any). Note that the friendly AI is hit or miss. Sometimes they'll listen to you if you ask them to target a specific enemy, other times it's best to have them just follow you and let them target whatever.

Right in the D-pad does 'Abilities'. All I recall using here is Airstrikes, and they're pretty useless. You can get these through the Negotiation stage of accepting a mission.

Down on the D-pad if I remember rightly can allow you to switch between other Mechs in your Lance if you wish, for whatever reason. You can also toggle between cockpit view and 'drone' (third person over the shoulder).

Can't remember what left on the D-pad does. 1f914.png

Pressing the Right thumbstick toggles zoom. X2 and x4 before cycling back 

The Mech handling is as you'd expect - they're walking tanks - the heavier ones are quite slow and clunky. You can get upgrades to make them faster, turn faster etc. but I never bothered.

As you may well be aware, some have Jump Jets, but in my opinion they're not worth the weight.

Oh, somewhere in the D-pad options you can turn off 'speed decay', which basically means when on if you let go of the left thumbstick you'll slow down, whereas if you turn it off, you can remain at top speed (or whatever speed you like) and release the thumbstick and it'll remain at that speed - cruise control if you will. Personal preference to consider.

Thanks for the info :).

• Like 1

• 9 months later...