How to restore my old savefiles?

CatHasTrophies

Good morning!

Because I have no idea how this savefile-cheating works people are talking about in their disputes, I am afraid of restoring my old savefiles.

To not make any mistake, I hope you can answer me some questions.

Back in 03/2020 I decided to buy a Samsung SSD for my PS4 Pro for faster Loading Screens in Monster Hunter World.

In 09/2019 I did the platinum trophy of Borderlands 3 and for whatever reason, the savefile was not uploaded to the cloud.

Yesterday I wanted to start Borderlands on PS5 and couldnt find any savefile. I turned on my PS4 to check if its on the console, but the earliest savefiles are from 05/2020, so I'm pretty sure the savefile will be on my old HDD.

My husband (no trophy hunter, so he doesnt care about timestamps if something happens) told me, that I cannot put the old storage into my PS4Pro, because they have different operating system versions on it (is that such a problem?). I was thinking about putting it into a PC, transfer the Borderlands Savefile on a USB and transfer it onto my PS4, to upload it into the cloud - or directly onto my PS5? Is this possible and legit?

Another question is: Does it make any difference that I had a PSN-Namechange in between? I used my free namechange somewhere in spring of 2021.

Thank you for any information!

Sorry for my bad english!

Edited by I-CatHasTrophy-I

Unless you have a hard copy of that save backed up to a USB drive or saved it to the in-game cross-save cloud, it's gone forever so you will have to start over from scratch. Also, the Hard Drive is mated to the console it's installed in and will be forcibly erased if you try to install it into another one. The PS4 and PS5 encrypt the Hard Drive using a proprietary encryption method, thus no PC will be able to read the data or even recognise the Drive is there so that option is out. Borderlands 3 isn't affected by name changes so that won't affect your saves at all. Whichever way you look at it, you are 100% screwed I'm afraid.

Never rely solely on one backup method, else you are asking for trouble as you just found out the hard way - always make dual backups to both the cloud and a USB Drive, that way you have 2 chances to recover from a gaming disaster.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.