PSA: The Brook Wingman XE Rocks! - Easily Replace Your DS3

baboon_overlord

Thanks I've been looking for another alternative to the knock off ps3 controllers. I was using ds4 on the ps3 for a bit but some games weren't compatible my other ps3 controllers are starting to suffer from analog drift making some games unplayable. Anyways I'll  take a look at it thanks :) 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/03/2022 at 11:40 AM, mizzcreed said:

Thanks I've been looking for another alternative to the knock off ps3 controllers. I was using ds4 on the ps3 for a bit but some games weren't compatible my other ps3 controllers are starting to suffer from analog drift making some games unplayable. Anyways I'll  take a look at it thanks :) 

My pleasure, glad I could help. I know my post was long, but it took about two hours of searching to find an alternative to the Chronus Zen so wanted to share here.

I found my first problem with it, but I don't really understand why it happened. I was playing Tomb Raider 2013 to finish off the remaining trophies for the Plat and noticed that the diagonal top left on both the left and right analogue sticks didn't work on the multiplayer. Tried those positions for the sticks on Alpha Protocol, MGS: 5 TPP and Enslaved: Odyssey to the West and all good. I know they work perfectly for Sleeping Dogs as I wouldn't have been able to do the karaoke without the left stick top left diagonal analogue, so it's perplexing.  

I am absolutely loving this with Metal Gear 5 (and with every other game I have played so far except for Tomb Raider MP, but it didn't matter since I was solo boosting/boosting). 

Edited by baboon_overlord
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...

I had this for roughly 4-5months now and here are my thoughts on it :).  The device works great but there are a couple of minor things with it,

1st. you cant turn the ps3 on with it which really isn't a big deal

2. It does disconnect randomly, it only really occurred when I left the controller for a while. the controller didn't need to be charged or anything like that but it was a simple fix just needed to unplug the stick from ps3.

That's really the only issues I had with it but I would still highly recommend it. It's a lot nicer playing with ps4 controller xD.

• Like 2

I don't understand why you'd complicate things?

You can already pair your DS4 easily with the Playstation 3 and use it with a wireless connection.
Only functions that are missing, are the rumble and home button. Are you buying adaptors because these functions work with it?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, janzor88 said:

You can already pair your DS4 easily with the Playstation 3 and use it with a wireless connection.
Only functions that are missing, are the rumble and home button. Are you buying adaptors because these functions work with it?

There are a few games that don't work for it. star ocean 4 for example you can only use the right stick nothing else.

Edited by chaoticescape
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, chaoticescape said:

1st. you cant turn the ps3 on with it which really isn't a big deal

2. It does disconnect randomly, it only really occurred when I left the controller for a while. the controller didn't need to be charged or anything like that but it was a simple fix just needed to unplug the stick from ps3.

That's really the only issues I had with it but I would still highly recommend it. It's a lot nicer playing with ps4 controller xD.

Hi chaoticescape,

Yes, I agree, switching on the console isn't a problem. I've got my TV set to switch on via HDMI when I turn the console on, it really isn't important. 

As to your other point, I bought some 3m USB cables for my PS3 and PS4 and I play wired all the time now. Honestly, the cables are so long it doesn't really feel any different to playing wirelessly. At first I was playing wirelessly and had the same issues you describe, but since playing wired, it works 100% of the time with no problems.

23 hours ago, janzor88 said:

Hi janzor88, this is isn't over-complicating things, it's making them WAY better. Not having rumble is crap, plus not having a home button is quite disastrous, especially if you don't have a working DS3/DS3 clone.

If you read my OP then you will see all the advantages to using this, it replaces the DS3 perfectly. Literally the only drawback is that you can't switch the console on with it. Given the cost of replacing DS3s, how unreliable third-party joypads are and how well built the DS4 is compared to the DS3, it's a no brainer. Over time, this will save you a small fortune (plus I personally prefer the DS4 anyway).

So to answer your question, yes, this device give you all the functionality of the DS3. For me it's a must have (and I haven't even looked into the possibilities of what else it can do yet).

22 hours ago, chaoticescape said:

There are a few games that don't work for it. star ocean 4 for example you can only use the right stick nothing else.

Hi again, have you tried it wired? As I stated above, the only game I had an issue with was Tomb Raider 2013 (and that was quite a minor problem).

Edited by baboon_overlord
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, chaoticescape said:

hello :) ,

I haven't tried using the wired yet but I may look into it. as for 2nd quote that was using the ps3's built-in function for syncing up ds4 controller I should have made that clearer xD.

Ah... OK, so your comment regarding Star Ocean 4 was using the DS4 with the PS3 Bluetooth functionality. Got it.

Yeah, Sony really screwed up, it's kind of outrageous that you need to buy a third-party device to get what should have been easily achievable with a firmware update on PS3 to make the DS4 fully compatible. Given how tiny the circuit boards are, they could probably have made the DS4 compatible by default anyway.

Do try wired, as I say, since I went that route I haven't had any issues at all. It works 100% of the time. Get a decent 3m cable with a braided jacket, you can't go wrong.

• Like 1