Question about accessing late game region (spoilers)

imminent_jargon

I'm having trouble reaching the region that uses the Halingtree secret medallion. I have both halves of the medallion, but when I approach the lift I don't get the prompt to "show secret medallion." 

Is there another step that I'm missing? I've spoken with the phantom who hangs out near the lift, but there's no other NPCs in that immediate area (I think there used to be a witch, but there isn't one now). I've also travelled up and down the lift a few times to see if I needed to reset or spawn anything, but nothing seems to change. 

For background, I've defeated the Fire Giant and rested at the grace beyond where you fight the giant, but haven't accepted the invitation to proceed beyond that. I've also done the Renna quest and the Lichdragon sequence with the deathbed lady. 

There are a few guides and posts online that describe needing both halves of the medallion, but none seem to explain what else might be needed, or if there's something that might lock a save out of the region beyond the lift. 

Edit: I figured it out. Mods can delete this if they like

Edited by imminent_jargon