PS5 Backwards Compatibility Issues

Elegy

I wanted to post this here so that it can get a bit more visibility as I didn't find anything on the internet regarding this and it caused me some grief to figure out on my own.

I originally installed Dark Devotion on my PS5 and it works and plays fine ostensibly.  No issues playing the game at first.. but after about 6 hours with the game I died and then the game crashed loading the Filthblood HUB area.  I didn't think much of it but I did unlock the library by talking with the librarian in the Temple on that run.  After I reloaded the game, I tried to enter the library and was immediately hit with a falling animation.  All buttons ceased to function except R2 which made the character fall downward faster, but nothing else would work.  I ended up having to just close the game and go back to the dashboard.  I restarted the game and retried.. same issue, an infinite falling glitch upon entering the library.  Tried to do a full run through the game, I revisited the library afterward and infinite falling issue again.  Given that it happened 100% of the time for me I started to suspect that it was a PS5 incompatibility problem and downloaded the game on my PS4 and also downloaded my save data from the cloud.  I tried to enter the library on the PS4 and it worked fine and I was able to get in there and interact with the NPCs.

So long story short.. I do not think that the library works when playing this game on the PS5.  This will make the platinum unobtainable unless the game is played on the PS4 as there are trophies that require talking to an NPC in the library.  Maybe someone else has a work around or different experience, but I am no longer going to spend time trying to figure it out on the PS5 as I just switched over to playing it on my PS4 (base model not Pro).

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

Can confirm that as of 7/23/22 this is still an issue. Anyone else experience it, or have a workaround short of finding a PS4?

EDIT: I got it working. When entering the Library, tap up and then do not press anything until the room fully loads. If you see the “permanent falling” animation, without touching anything else, hit R1 or L1 to do a dodge roll. You’ll “fall” to the “lower level” of the library floor, and can go about your business. If you move or try hitting anything else before the dodge roll, it will usually result in getting stuck and having to close out.

Oddly, after doing this a few times to test it, I discovered that I didn’t always get stuck in the perma-fall animation. About every fifth or sixth time, it would behave normally when I went into the Library. ??‍♂️ Dunno why. But hopefully if anyone else is having issues, this helps.

EDIT #2: Discovered that some of the “Lost Rooms” (specifically The Hearth and The Glade) also had similar “infinite fall” entry issues; same fix worked, just dodgeroll to either side without touching anything, you’ll be fine.

Edited by Ashande
Problem fixed.
  • Like 1