Nerd! Tips

RNumbers

Having recently (finally) completed my Rad journey, I thought I would share some tips for what will likely be the last trophy for many. Rad is a Top 10 game for me, so even though this trophy is very grindy I had a lot of fun with it. The grind ended up being less intimidating than I thought thanks to a few of the tips mentioned below. Of special note is that you can be one item short and still pop the trophy.

Rather than address each section I will just provide a few important tips.

1. The Devolution Quirk is a huge help for getting many Exo and Endo Mutation combinations you might not have earned through normal play. Don't sweat this section till you get that.
  2. Bummer Endo Mutations can (kind of) be farmed by speed running to 2-1, which always seems to have the broken Mender Altar that gives you a shot at these. That being said, the last one of these was my "missing item" at the end. You can apparently restart the map once to re-roll what you get so every run gives you at least 2 shots at it.
  3. Many Synergy Consumables/Mutation Shots/Endo Mutations (those that require a specific Exo Mutation) can be gotten easily by rolling the appropriate Exo Mutation by Devolution, getting the "Boost" item from an early alpha, boss, or chest, then turning that in to a sacrificial altar for the appropriate Mutation Shot -> Endo Mutation. This is probably the #1 tip I have to offer as these would otherwise be very RNG dependent.
  4. The "Final 14" Consumable items can be farmed by speed running 1-1 and 1-2 looking for the skeleton. Took me many tries, but I combined this with the 2-1 Bummer Endo Mutation run to get my last few items. You can also look for the Gyaruga artifacts if you still need those.
  5. Lore altars can kind of be farmed using the save backup method in the guide, but note that I found that each altar would cap out at ~5 new entries and from then on just repeat. Don't expect to get all 10-15 entries from a single altar. You're better off trying to find as many as you can during normal runs and then farming just the last few. Note that World 2 Lore altars are usually in caves that are easily overlooked.

Hope that helps someone, although sadly the game appears fairly dead by now.

• Like 3

I was under the impression that the final 14 consumables were patched in with an update after the release and are not required for the Nerd. I've also seen some posts on forums confirming it - but as you can imagine I can't be sure it's 100% the case.

Any tips for Gyaruga artifacts? What's the best/fastest way to check if World 2 levels even have arcade machines?

Edited by Sydoki
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Sydoki said:

I was under the impression that the final 14 consumables were patched in with an update after the release and are not required for the Nerd. I've also seen some posts on forums confirming it - but as you can imagine I can be sure it's 100% the case.

Any tips for Gyaruga artifacts? What's the best/fastest way to check if World 2 levels even have arcade machines?

From my experience the final 14 items are counted/required. My last few missing items were some of those and the Ravenous bummer endo mutation. My trophy popped with only the endo mutation still missing.

The only way I know to check for arcade machines is just to run the level. From what I've seen it will ALWAYS be on a little island connected by tunnel, which is also true of the skeleton for the final 14 items. So my method was to rush to the 1-1 tunnel entrance (there will always be exactly one), check out all exits (there will always be at least one), and then move on and do the same on 1-2.

Actually on my last run the island was connected by a bridge AND a tunnel, but the point still stands.

Edit: To clarify, arcade machines are World 1, not World 2.

Edited by RNumbers
  • Like 1