Inferno Climber - Conquering the impossible

fbdbh

Fellow explorers, Soulslike-fans & mazochists - Inferno Climber is a tough metroidvania soulslike and I feel like it's very underappreciated. It's janky, almost incomplete, weird and incredibly hard - but I fell in love with it. The game is currently on sale, so if you like niche, odd, N64/PS1-style games, now would be the time to give it a fair chance.

I have been writing a guide for over a year now, and I would like to get all the help I can. I suspect that this game doesn't have too many missables, probably none (except if you kill NPCs or don't buy items from a certain vendor). Still, there are tons of secrets and there are no complete guides on the internet. At all. Hence the low platinum percentage.

I wanted to open up this thread to get some conversation going, maybe get some help mapping out the more obscure Treasure Chests, and to send out a signal to retro Zelda / Dark Souls fans that this game is not only infuriating, but actually pretty engaging.

Are there maybe others who found at least some fascination with this game, or is it just me? :D 

Edited by fbdbh
  • Like 4

On 28/4/2022 at 11:41 AM, fbdbh said:

Fellow explorers, Soulslike-fans & mazochists - Inferno Climber is a tough metroidvania soulslike and I feel like it's very underappreciated. It's janky, almost incomplete, weird and incredibly hard - but I fell in love with it. The game is currently on sale, so if you like niche, odd, N64/PS1-style games, now would be the time to give it a fair chance.

I have been writing a guide for over a year now, and I would like to get all the help I can. I suspect that this game doesn't have too many missables, probably none (except if you kill NPCs or don't buy items from a certain vendor). Still, there are tons of secrets and there are no complete guides on the internet. At all. Hence the low platinum percentage.

I wanted to open up this thread to get some conversation going, maybe get some help mapping out the more obscure Treasure Chests, and to send out a signal to retro Zelda / Dark Souls fans that this game is not only infuriating, but actually pretty engaging.

Are there maybe others who found at least some fascination with this game, or is it just me? :D 

Just bought the game, I watched some gameplays and even if the game isn't polished for some reason catched my attention and ended up watching more and more until I make my decision to buy it.

So I haven't checked yet but there's no guides or useful info about this little game? If you have some tips or tricks you can share with me I would really appreciate it, started to follow you here bro, hopefully we can talk more about this game that for some reason isn't played by many yet.

Edited by NajiLionheart

7 hours ago, NajiLionheart said:

Just bought the game, I watched some gameplays and even if the game isn't polished for some reason catched my attention and ended up watching more and more until I make my decision to buy it.

So I haven't checked yet but there's no guides or useful info about this little game? If you have some tips or tricks you can share with me I would really appreciate it, started to follow you here bro, hopefully we can talk more about this game that for some reason isn't played by many yet.

Thank you!

Until I find a way to share my partial guide...

The basics:

1. Practice in the Graveyard of Origin, acquire dash, arrive at Mountain Base. If you find the game hard, you can always go back to the graveyard to farm items, XP and just get better at the game. 
  2. Resistances and poise will be better with time, bear with it.
  3. Experiment with the different classes. If you die, another character has to go back to the corpse with a Death Contract (which can burn up if you are burning)! Because of this, I suggest you backup your save to the cloud each time you enter a dangerous area. This could save time with annoying backtracking. The game instantly autosaves at death!
  4. Do the trials under Mountain Base
  5. Do not attack NPCs!
  6. Be mindful of hunger, food rot, other status effects.
  7. Practice the controls, switching weapons and using items mid-combat, because it's unintuitive, and the game doesn't pause. But it will click with time.
  8. The game will get better and more manageable with time, but not easier.
  9. There are a lot of secrets!

Forest area:

1. Guardian Forest, find the skeleton NPC, the bow & arrow place, hit switches with arrows (some are hidden)
  2. Second part: stick to the right, find the cooking station
  3. Stick to the left this time, there's a guard post that is tough, but the Forest Passage Key is here.
  4. Green Abyss: navigate upwards to the moving platforms, reach around completely to find the boss key
  5. Boss will split into smaller jellies, weak to salt fruits.
  6. Forest Hunter heals from poison, for exploration he might be the best choice here, but stick to Royal Knight when it comes to raw combat / boss. 

Tree colletible trophy (pour water on them 3-4 times until fruit appears, you can shoot down fruits):

• Graveyard of Origin – From the beginning, turn left immediately. There’s a river nearby as well if you need water.
  • Guardian Forest – Behind the rusted gate. Grab the Oil Drink from the chest behind the Castle gate (hit the switch with an arrow). You’ll find the rusted gate close to the portal to Green Abyss, just in front of the teleporter pad if you’re coming from that way.
  • Green Abyss – Starting from the portal, go straight ahead, look underneath the towering rocks. Among these, look for a sign and the tree behind it.
  • Golden Road – Coming from Mountain Base, immediately next to the teleporter.

---------

Other guides I found useful, but they are not complete:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=729476345

This video series is a dead end, but it shows some neat secrets in the first two-three areas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz3MK9W0B1w

Edited by fbdbh
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been waiting for someone else to talk about this game more! I’ve done the whole sweep of all available info on the game, which is lacking as you say. I’d be happy to contribute in general, because I think better information would make the game a lot more accessible. It has that perfect low budget Japanese Indie Game feeling to it and I fell in love with the game on Switch. It runs fantastically better on PS4, which I bought during the sale.

• Like 2