General discussion on e-sports. (mostly league of legends based point of view))

Skylitemoon

Soo what are your opinions on E-sports? They are definitely growing amazingly quickly, just to give you an insight:

- League of Legends exceed 100,000 twitch wievers on non-tournament/league days with a few popular streamers only.

- on it's official league days it peaks up to 400,000 wievers!

- more people tune to watch e-sports overall than some professional sports.

- Faker, one of the most popular players earned over 600k $ in 1 year (~700 counting the most recent winning in Korea's Pro League)

- Counter-Strike has been an e-sport for around 15 years, making the longest standing competitive online game

Two main servers are Europe West and North America, the comptetivness there is crazy, same for Korea.

Diamond is the highest league, while Challenger = 50 TOP players from the region.

I have reached Diamond 1 with 96 points out of 100, that being said I got to know some of the professionals and make friends with a few of them.

Their salaries are *cough* well, can't release the exact numbers, but they are 5 number digits per player ^^'

There are guys who earn 500k+ $ a year, a.k.a team owners (currently there are only a few of them in the world).

Schedule of a pro player is usually 8-12 hours practice a day with other proffesional teams, then 2-4 hours of solo practice.

2 days a week, a league is hosted with 8 best teams of each region, where 4 games are played; that continues for 10 weeks, in Spring and Summer.

Autumn = tournaments and World Championship, where teams from all regions, starting from South East Asia, going through China, Korea, Europe, South America and ending up with North America compete for the World Champions title.

There are currently 110+ champions in the game, however only 66%~ of them get used regularly due to being stronger than others, durr.

The game is easy to grasp on, however the further you go, the harder it becomes, making the learning process almost endless.

And it's hella lot fun, been playing since 2010, still not bored, every match is different and the game is quite newb-friendly, those two things has most likely (IMO) lead it to such popularity.

Hope I didn't bore ya :lol:

I've never played League of Legends but I do play a lot of Magic:The Gathering and I can see the similarities, even tho Magic has the duality of being paper and electronic.

I don't really have much opinion on it. 600k a year to play video games is a staggering figure tho.

Maybe there was a typo in the bible and Jesus really said "blessed are the geek..."

I've never played League of Legends but I do play a lot of Magic:The Gathering and I can see the similarities, even tho Magic has the duality of being paper and electronic.

I don't really have much opinion on it. 600k a year to play video games is a staggering figure tho.

Maybe there was a typo in the bible and Jesus really said "blessed are the geek..."

HAHAHAH man, this is so signature worthy.

Anyways: just one thing is i'm not really sure if they qualify as actual sports. Maybe it should be renamed to something else, but I dunno man:

an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

I have nothing against people playing in a highly competitive field and making $$$ out of it, but a different name is needed.