PS3 Disc Drive Repair Issue

JoshC17

It's a long shot but I have been repairing a disc drive on a PS3 Slim. I know I needed a new laser as it wouldn't slide along the rail, so I bought a new laser unit (the same model). It now reads discs but every time I try and put a disc into the drive, it's very stiff and doesn't take the discs until it's about half way into the drive. It will then accept the disc fine and play. The same thing happens with the eject. It ejects about half way then struggles to eject the rest. I have held the eject button which will recalibrate the drive and still nothing, so I'm guessing it's the small motherboard inside the disc drive (bottom left). I think that's the part responsible for taking the disc in and out of the drive? I just wanted to check if someone else had a similar issue before attempting to change that part.

(I can always upload a video if needed)

1 hour ago, JoshC17 said:

It's a long shot but I have been repairing a disc drive on a PS3 Slim. I know I needed a new laser as it wouldn't slide along the rail, so I bought a new laser unit (the same model). It now reads discs but every time I try and put a disc into the drive, it's very stiff and doesn't take the discs until it's about half way into the drive. It will then accept the disc fine and play. The same thing happens with the eject. It ejects about half way then struggles to eject the rest. I have held the eject button which will recalibrate the drive and still nothing, so I'm guessing it's the small motherboard inside the disc drive (bottom left). I think that's the part responsible for taking the disc in and out of the drive? I just wanted to check if someone else had a similar issue before attempting to change that part.

(I can always upload a video if needed)

Did you replace the entire drive, or just the laser pickup? Did you reset the mechanical arms on the drive when re-assembling it together? 

3 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

Did you replace the entire drive, or just the laser pickup? Did you reset the mechanical arms on the drive when re-assembling it together? 

Not the entire drive, just the laser unit (the unit in a rectangle shape) as I couldn't find just a motor part on eBay. I did the same thing on another PS3 and worked like a charm. I switched the small board out with another one but still the same problem. I think it might possibly be the replacement deck that's causing the problem which is a bit annoying. All the arms are reset I'm sure, otherwise it wouldn't take the disc in the first place. It's very jittery in and out of the drive too. 

8 minutes ago, JoshC17 said:

Not the entire drive, just the laser unit (the unit in a rectangle shape) as I couldn't find just a motor part on eBay. I did the same thing on another PS3 and worked like a charm. I switched the small board out with another one but still the same problem. I think it might possibly be the replacement deck that's causing the problem which is a bit annoying. All the arms are reset I'm sure, otherwise it wouldn't take the disc in the first place. It's very jittery in and out of the drive too. 

If you have the old deck, I'd recommend just swapping the new laser over to it