Guide to circumvent autopop

MrFudge

If you’re like me and wish to preserve interesting features on this site such as ‘Fastest Platinum’, there’s a quick and easy way to do so when it comes to Destiny 2 autopop. 

It only takes 10-15 minutes and does not require deletion of data nor anything else that jeopardises your Destiny characters. 

This method can also be used if you’d like to re-earn the trophies legitimately. However please note that existing DLC purchases do not carry over. 

Step 1: 

First, view your current Fastest Plat so as to ascertain how long you must wait when it comes to Destiny 2. 

fQYVvm3.jpg

GNkye7W.jpg

In my instance, that was a little over two and a half hours. 

Step 2:

Create a Steam account. This can be done in mere minutes and with minimal fuss on mobile. You do not need to install Steam anywhere as this can be done online. 

If you already have a Steam account you can simply use that. 

If you own an Xbox you can use that instead of Steam. 

Step 3: 

Login on Bungie Net and proceed to the Cross Save section. Here you can link and authenticate your new Steam account. 

You will then be asked which account you wish to activate with Cross Save. 

t75iMYi.jpg

As you can see, my PlayStation account had three Active Characters since I have been using it for 3 years. Meanwhile my brand new Steam account had 0 Active Characters since I had not even installed Steam nor Destiny 2. 

Step 4:

Choose to activate Cross Save with your Steam account. 

Do not worry about your existing characters on PlayStation. Cross Save does not delete them. They are merely temporarily inaccessible up until the moment you deactivate Cross Save, as seen in the image below. Cross Save simply allows you to use a set of characters from one platform (Steam) on other platforms (PlayStation). 

Ensure you correctly choose Steam, as once you later deactivate Cross Save there’s a three month waiting period before it can be reactivated. 

Bungie will ask whether you really want to activate an account with no Active Characters. 

OeNo3dl.jpg

Be sure to fully read the prompts provided to you by Bungie, particularly regarding the purchase of Silver, so as to understand the process. 

Confirm your decision to use your Steam account. 

Step 5: 

Cross Save is now active. 

t2PoEYe.jpg

You can now start Destiny 2 on your PS5. Since your Steam account has no characters tied to it, you will be beginning anew with character creation. 

The moment you select your Class, the ‘Long and Winding Road’ trophy will pop. 

Gh8bIbO.png

244Z50O.png

Now that you’ve popped a single trophy, the timer on PSNP will begin since ‘Fastest Platinum’ is determined by the gap between your first and last trophy. 

You can close the game now. 

Step 6: 

Now simply wait for a period of time longer than that of your Fastest Plat. For me that was 2 hours 34 minutes. 

Once the time has passed you can go back to Bungie Net and deactivate Cross Save. You might have some trouble when typing your username for the security check, in which case try accepting cookies, using different browsers, and waiting a minute or two. 

After that, start Destiny 2 on PS5 again. Your old characters will be available and as soon as you select one, the rest of the trophies will pop. 

The overall time will be longer than that of your Fastest Plat, leaving your profile unsullied. 

0tmQwnf.jpg

8TW2f0f.jpg

Edited by MrFudge
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

This is EXACTLY what I was looking for! Thank you so much for making a detailed guide on this!!  I wish there was more coverage for avoiding instant autopops for other games like Rogue Company. These account unlinking shenanigans seem so risky...and so hard to know exactly what's gonna happen if you decide to unlink something.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 08/08/2022 at 10:20 PM, Sydoki said:

This is EXACTLY what I was looking for! 

Lmao when I was initially looking up this issue I actually came across a post of yours and I was hoping you were gonna be the answer to my prayers lol. Glad to help. 

And yea it’s a pain. Even Bungie forum users were of no use when it came to an answer. Thankfully Bungie themselves explained the process thoroughly and so I was pretty confident in my plan once devised. 

• Like 1