How do I start a 1v3 match?

I am playing on version 2.01 on a Ps5 and have 2 controllers at my disposal.

Whenever I go to arena>gladiator and turn on teams, I can only ever select which team my controllers are on, not which team the bots are on. The bots always select teams randomly, which means I always end up with a 2v2 match. I have tried pressing every single button on my controller and nothing worked. I searched on other trophy/achievement websites and read through the FAQs, looked through dozens of youtube videos, and checked review sites, but I never found an answer on how to do it.

According to the guide you can complete all trophies with just 1 controller, and I have also found similar confirmations on other websites. (like: https://www.trueachievements.com/forum/viewthread.aspx?tid=771980)

I also found this on the EU ps3 version in the mini trophy guide thread:

On 10/26/2018 at 11:19 AM, whittle181 said:

Thanks for the mini-trophy guide again.
I just want to point out that this game does not require 4 controllers to 100%
You can reassign them on both the PS3 & PS4 versions after individually selecting your player on the character select screen.

I tried figuring out how to do this but to no avail.

Can anyone help me with this?

I am at my wits' end.

Given the length of the grind for this game, being pretty much the whole time until you get to 100%, I recommend having 4 controllers present. However, at the time I did flOw on ps4 (has a local 4P trophy) I used the method noted above.

On PS3 (I’m not certain because I’m used to seeing PS3 games pausing with a popup mandating reconnection of the controller) you would hold the PS button and change the number assignment on controller settings. I got away with using a PS Move Wand for the 2P trophy in Eat Them! as I didn’t have another DS3 available. Ultimately you switch the number assignment back to 1 once you’re ready to start and all players are onscreen.

On PS4, you would turn the controller off, then turn it back on. The system will ask who is using this controller, and you would select the next user profile (you’ll also find out that on PS4, local MP games tend to unlock trophies for all users involved instead of just P1). Afterward, switch the controller back to your own profile.

Definitely do not deal with bots while grinding In Space We Brawl, you’re already doing something crazy to begin with if you have 4 controllers (it took me a week I think).

• Like 1

Thanks so much for your response, I appreciate it!

I don't mind grinding this game that much. I like putting on live-streams or youtube videos to listen to while doing some mindless gaming. This game is definitely going to take me more than 20 hours, but I don't care. I'll only be playing against bots for the 25 1v3 wins, other than that it'll just be me and 1 idle controller.

Also, if anyone else playing on PS5 comes across this thread and wants to know how to use only two controllers:

(You can choose to use other profiles instead of guest users if you want. Trophies will pop for all users, not just the user that achieves the trophy)

• Go to your prefered game mode and turn on teams.
  • Press x to join, but do not select your ship and weapon for the first player until another controller has connected, because this will start the 3 second countdown to start the match and the game will ask you to select bots, which you do not want.
  • Turn on the second controller, choose add user then quick play. Join the game, select ship and weapon.
  • Press the playstation button to bring up the control center (on your second controller), and scroll over to accessories (the dualsense icon with the battery).
  • Select your controller and choose "Turn Off"
  • Turn on your controller again, and when asked who's using the controller select add user, then quick play.
  • Join the game and select both the ship and weapon.
  • Repeat last 4 steps.
  • Now choose teams, which involves turning your controller off again, but select the guest profiles this time. (guest 1 is the red player, guest 2 is the blue player and guest 3 is the yellow player) Once teams have been chosen, the brawl will start after you choose the location.

I tried getting it to work with 1 controller just to see if I could, but I ran into a problem. When I used only 1 controller and turned it off and back on again, my PS5 won't ask me who is playing and as such could not choose a guest profile. I couldn't find an option in the PS5 settings to change this, so it looks like if you're on ps5 that you'll need at least 2 controllers for the 100%.

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/07/2022 at 4:10 PM, TheEvilPenguin07 said:

I am playing on version 2.01 on a Ps5 and have 2 controllers at my disposal.

Whenever I go to arena>gladiator and turn on teams, I can only ever select which team my controllers are on, not which team the bots are on. The bots always select teams randomly, which means I always end up with a 2v2 match. I have tried pressing every single button on my controller and nothing worked. I searched on other trophy/achievement websites and read through the FAQs, looked through dozens of youtube videos, and checked review sites, but I never found an answer on how to do it.

According to the guide you can complete all trophies with just 1 controller, and I have also found similar confirmations on other websites. (like: https://www.trueachievements.com/forum/viewthread.aspx?tid=771980)

I also found this on the EU ps3 version in the mini trophy guide thread:

I tried figuring out how to do this but to no avail.

Can anyone help me with this?

I am at my wits' end.

Thanks for quoting me. Can't remember much about this game other than to say it's the worst PS Plus title ever given away in its 12 year history.