Silver and Game Sharing

Sir_Bee

Mrs. Bee and I have gotten back into Destiny 2 and we ended up buying the Legacy DLC and the base Witch Queen DLC.  This worked like all other DLC we have encountered, I could buy it under my account, download it to the PS5 I play on, and then also download it to the PS4 she plays on as it is set to my main system.  It took a re-download of the main game on her system to recognize the DLC, but it has been working since.

We are now considering getting the Witch Queen dungeon, or buying a season pass.  My question is this.  Will that same process work when buying Silver (the in game currency) from the PS store?  IE. I buy a pack of 1000 silver on my account, and then download it to both my PS5 and her PS4 so we can both purchase the season pass or dungeon?  For reference, I do not play on my account on a PS4, so I believe this would be the same situation if I was on a PS5 and a PS4 myself.  If that does not work, is there a way to make it work without needing to buy double the silver?

13 minutes ago, Stevieboy said:

The yearly expansions are able to be gameshared, like Forsaken, Shadowkeep, Beyond Light and Witch Queen. However, silver and the mid year season passes are tied to the account that bought them and are not able to be gameshared.

Hmm, that sucks.  Thanks for the answer.

I guess that means no season passes or extra dungeons for us.  Oh well, I could rest easy knowing we saved that money.

EDIT: Not that I am doubting you, but I read the text at the bottom of the page when trying to buy one of the DLC packs, and it has the same warning as on the season pass silver pack (https://store.playstation.com/en-ca/product/UP0002-CUSA05042_00-D2S18BDL00000001). 

That text reading "One-time license fee for play on account’s designated primary PS4™ system and other PS4™ systems when signed in with that account."  If i were to take that at its word, gamesharing should not work at all.  I wish that it was made more clear as to how exactly this works.

Edited by Sir_Bee
added more information.

17 minutes ago, Sir_Bee said:

Hmm, that sucks.  Thanks for the answer.

I guess that means no season passes or extra dungeons for us.  Oh well, I could rest easy knowing we saved that money.

EDIT: Not that I am doubting you, but I read the text at the bottom of the page when trying to buy one of the DLC packs, and it has the same warning as on the season pass silver pack (https://store.playstation.com/en-ca/product/UP0002-CUSA05042_00-D2S18BDL00000001). 

That text reading "One-time license fee for play on account’s designated primary PS42122.png system and other PS42122.png systems when signed in with that account."  If i were to take that at its word, gamesharing should not work at all.  I wish that it was made more clear as to how exactly this works.

I had been given Destiny 2 deluxe edition code when the game was released, but it was a US code, so I had to redeem it on my US alt. I was able to play it fine on my UK main. When Forsaken came around, I gameshared that from a US friend and was also able to play that on my UK main. However, Bungie changed things with the release of Shadowkeep. A few friends of mine who I was raiding regularly with all chipped in to buy me Shadowkeep deluxe edition which contained all the mid year season passes for my US alt so I would be able to play it, but my UK main would only recognise the Shadowkeep main DLC, and not the mid year season passes due to those being tied to my US main. I then had to buy silver on my UK account to then buy the individual mid year season passes to be able to play the content from them.

I hope that clears up how I know it works. Unless Bungie have changed it again, which I don't think they have, then it should work the same way.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevieboy said:

I had been given Destiny 2 deluxe edition code when the game was released, but it was a US code, so I had to redeem it on my US alt. I was able to play it fine on my UK main. When Forsaken came around, I gameshared that from a US friend and was also able to play that on my UK main. However, Bungie changed things with the release of Shadowkeep. A few friends of mine who I was raiding regularly with all chipped in to buy me Shadowkeep deluxe edition which contained all the mid year season passes for my US alt so I would be able to play it, but my UK main would only recognise the Shadowkeep main DLC, and not the mid year season passes due to those being tied to my US main. I then had to buy silver on my UK account to then buy the individual mid year season passes to be able to play the content from them.

I hope that clears up how I know it works. Unless Bungie have changed it again, which I don't think they have, then it should work the same way.

I appreciate the thorough explanation.  I wonder if Bungie made the season pass and dungeon keys purchasable with Silver for that reason.  It sucks, but if we are still playing come Lightfall, maybe we just bight the bullet and pre-order the full annual pass.  Will have to see what the rest of season 18 and 19 bring.

Just now, Sir_Bee said:

I appreciate the thorough explanation.  I wonder if Bungie made the season pass and dungeon keys purchasable with Silver for that reason.  It sucks, but if we are still playing come Lightfall, maybe we just bight the bullet and pre-order the full annual pass.  Will have to see what the rest of season 18 and 19 bring.

I think the main reason for changing it was introducing the cross play option, so you could play on whatever platform and transfer your progress and the content you owned across those platforms. They then had to tie content to your account for that to be a possibility. The only issue with it is you still have to buy the main yearly expansion on each platform you play on as that's the only thing that doesn't transfer over, which is a bit silly.

• Like 1

Just now, Stevieboy said:

I think the main reason for changing it was introducing the cross play option, so you could play on whatever platform and transfer your progress and the content you owned across those platforms. They then had to tie content to your account for that to be a possibility. The only issue with it is you still have to buy the main yearly expansion on each platform you play on as that's the only thing that doesn't transfer over, which is a bit silly.

Now that you mention it, I guess that does make sense.  Still don't have to like it ...