Critical Playthrough

So I’m following the guide to try and get the Plat and I’m doing every trophy on standard difficulty before playing the game on Critical.

question is what do I have to do exactly to get the critical mode trophy to pop? Reading the guide for the trophy I find it a bit confusing as to what I need to do exactly? Can I do the secret episode on Normal or do I need to do it on Critical to get the Critical trophy?

• 1 month later...
On 12/12/2022 at 5:45 AM, FrostDragoon28 said:

So I’m following the guide to try and get the Plat and I’m doing every trophy on standard difficulty before playing the game on Critical.

question is what do I have to do exactly to get the critical mode trophy to pop? Reading the guide for the trophy I find it a bit confusing as to what I need to do exactly? Can I do the secret episode on Normal or do I need to do it on Critical to get the Critical trophy?

I did the same. Did 100% reports and all other trophies on Standard before doing the Critical trophy which was the last trophy I needed before the plat. I'm sure you already got the trophy but in case someone else is reading the thread I'll just throw an explanation.

To get the Critical mode trophy, you need to play Ven Aqua and Terra's campaigns on Critical and complete their main stories (i.e play all the way up to the Keyblade Graveyard and beat their respective story bosses of Vanitas, Braig and Venitas, Xehanort/Terranort). Then after you complete their campaigns, you have to do the final episode with Aqua (and make sure this is a separate save file as you don't want to overwrite your 3 character playthroughs). After you beat Terranort with Aqua on Critical, you should have the secret episode unlocked (which is pretty easy) and you must do that with Aqua. At the end of the secret episode after beating the giant Heartless lion boss, you should get the trophy. You do not have to do all the side content if you already did the 100% reports on Standard.

As for the difficulty, the story mode was actually not bad at all on Critical. The early game bosses were a bit annoying but if you spend an hour grinding a few levels and playing conservatively, you should be fine. I used Thundaga + Thunder Surges spam with all 3 characters, unlocked the important Abilities (Leaf Bracer, Second Chance, Defender, Thunder Boost etc) leveled them all up to level 40 and I didn't struggle much at all during the Critical playthroughs. Each playthrough took me like 8-10 hours but if you're good at the game, you can probably spend 5-7 hours on each playthrough.

Edited by Mad
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 17.1.2023 at 3:40 AM, Mad said:

I did the same. Did 100% reports and all other trophies on Standard before doing the Critical trophy which was the last trophy I needed before the plat. I'm sure you already got the trophy but in case someone else is reading the thread I'll just throw an explanation.

To get the Critical mode trophy, you need to play Ven Aqua and Terra's campaigns on Critical and complete their main stories (i.e play all the way up to the Keyblade Graveyard and beat their respective story bosses of Vanitas, Braig and Venitas, Xehanort/Terranort). Then after you complete their campaigns, you have to do the final episode with Aqua (and make sure this is a separate save file as you don't want to overwrite your 3 character playthroughs). After you beat Terranort with Aqua on Critical, you should have the secret episode unlocked (which is pretty easy) and you must do that with Aqua. At the end of the secret episode after beating the giant Heartless lion boss, you should get the trophy. You do not have to do all the side content if you already did the 100% reports on Standard.

As for the difficulty, the story mode was actually not bad at all on Critical. The early game bosses were a bit annoying but if you spend an hour grinding a few levels and playing conservatively, you should be fine. I used Thundaga + Thunder Surges spam with all 3 characters, unlocked the important Abilities (Leaf Bracer, Second Chance, Defender, Thunder Boost etc) leveled them all up to level 40 and I didn't struggle much at all during the Critical playthroughs. Each playthrough took me like 8-10 hours but if you're good at the game, you can probably spend 5-7 hours on each playthrough.

So play on standard do "100%" and then play on critical only the story content again = Platin ?

The guide write that you have to play on standard and later states "While if you play on Beginner, you can unlock the Secret Episode"

As i am right with the comments, just do everything on Beginner an then just do the story on crit for Trophy.

You have two options:

1) Start the story  for the three characters  on critical, complete all three of them, unlock and finish bonus episode on critical, then unlock and finish secret episode on critical (don’t overwrite any of these 5 save files), then cleanup everything on 3 new beginner save file.

2) Just do everything on critical

My advice is to do everything on Critical altogether, BBS is a broken game, mechanics wise, mobs will never be that problematic on critical, and the secret bosses will still oneshot you on beginner regardless of your level, you just need to exploit  iframes like your rolling in Dark Souls, and you can do that either through rolling/cartwheeling (Ventus/Aqua, Terra has a terrible dodge roll) or spamming Thunder Sirge (everyone has it), so, something like 4 curaga/ra, 4 thunder surge, leaf bracer, once more, second chance  and your preferred shotlock maxed out would be the optimal choice against those bosses (and stuff like Megaflare for mobs/levelling up).

Edited by farradono
  • Like 2