Tackling 100%

Jelti_2

So, I recently got this game and I'm thinking about how I should approach 100%-ing this game.

What I usually do is just go through the game while doing all the side content as I stumble upon it, avoiding the main story for as long as possible. I also don't replay games for that reason - The Witcher 3 is one of my favorite games, but after doing everything in that game, the chance I'm ever going to replay it is slim. I usually deal with NG+ just for the trophies.

My idea is this - first playthrough just to get through the story, no side content. Second playthrough for NG+ where I play the game the usual way, going through everything, with the added benefit of getting the Champion Tokens to buy all the DLC stuff. Third playthrough for NG++ on Ultra Hard. Finito. This also allows for a save file from that NG+ playthrough that is ready for the expansion that is complete and ahs all the best weapons.

Does this make sense?

1 hour ago, Jelti_2 said:

My idea is this - first playthrough just to get through the story, no side content. Second playthrough for NG+ where I play the game the usual way, going through everything, with the added benefit of getting the Champion Tokens to buy all the DLC stuff. Third playthrough for NG++ on Ultra Hard. Finito. This also allows for a save file from that NG+ playthrough that is ready for the expansion that is complete and ahs all the best weapons.

Yes, I think that is the best way to earn all of the trophies. It doesn't make much sense to do the optional content on your first playthrough since you'd have to do most of it again on NG+ anyway to earn the Champion Tokens.

After completing all of the side content on NG+ you should take some time to fully upgrade your best weapons/armor. I went into Ultra Hard with most of the legendary weapons upgraded but sadly neglected my armor before starting the playthrough. The extra bit of defense would probably have made some of the later fights a bit easier.

Also don't forget to do your Ultra Hard NG++ playthrough on a seperate save file since you can't lower the difficulty on UH and would have to do another partial playthrough to access the upcoming DLC (or play it on Ultra Hard).

2 hours ago, Jelti_2 said:

So, I recently got this game and I'm thinking about how I should approach 100%-ing this game.

What I usually do is just go through the game while doing all the side content as I stumble upon it, avoiding the main story for as long as possible. I also don't replay games for that reason - The Witcher 3 is one of my favorite games, but after doing everything in that game, the chance I'm ever going to replay it is slim. I usually deal with NG+ just for the trophies.

Does this make sense?

If your planning on prioritising trophies on your first playthrough for this game don’t, it’s a fantastic game, just let yourself be immersed and enjoy the world your in, isn’t that the point? Play the side content, do it all, I’m not entirely sure anything is missable, double check a guide, note anything missable for trophies and make sure to check that off, but beyond that forget the trophies and enjoy the game the way it’s supposed to be enjoyed, the trophies will naturally pop anyway by doing just that, I’m semi retired so take it from someone who’s kinda ruined really good games cos ‘trophy hore’ mode was enabled, enjoy the good games when you play them or you’ll regret it one day, that would be my best advice to anyone on this site, I personally did everything you can do and listened to every snippet of dialogue the game had to offer, I loved every second, no game is ‘perfect’ but this is pretty damn close, a few combat elements could be refined but I’m not one to nit pick over such quality, hope you enjoy it as much as I did