what the hell?

Really suprised nobody mentioned this earlier, BUT the loading times... 

Seriously what is wrong with all those Unity games on PS4 popping like crazy? Can't developers see Unity runs very bad on PS4 hardware?

Examples? Syberia 3? Loading new areas over one minute. Dreamfall Chapters? Same, and no progress bars, just black screen of doubt. République? Switching between cameras (in the same area!) takes 4-6 seconds (!).

Here in Pathfinder: WOTR it is the next level of ridiculousness. I like the story so far, and that atmosphere of classic RPGs like Baldur games had, but there is this one big issue. You just sit. And wait.

Loading simple 3D map of the city? 49-50 seconds. New area 70-72 seconds (!). Imagine you have to go from point A to B (in a quest for example), but on the road there is a ,,random encounter''. So let's see: exiting A area (loading city 3D map): 50 s + moving to destination..... BANG! -> random unavoidable encounter: 70 s -> one enemy to kill, bang, 5 seconds, continuing on the main road, BUT WAIT! Loading city 3D map (50 s), following the main road (whew! no more random encounters... sometimes there are two) -> entering new area (70 s of loading time)... done.... we are standing before the entrance to, say, a ruined house. Entering inside -> black screen of nothingness: 6-7 seconds... WE DID IT ? Uh-oh... the enemy is a mad alchemist sending two.... trunks which are very hungry, with big angry maws. I do a quick save (8 s). We fight. We die. Reloading save..... 50 seconds...... and so on and so on. And in this game you die. A lot. 

It's insane ???. And to think we will have a hell lot more of random encounters and backtracking (because for instance I forgot to take an item from a previously visited location). It's very off-putting. I mean how many teas one can have during one day? lol

P.S. Yes, I'm recycling all the left over items to be ,,destroyed'' by the game. I left no ,,loot''. It does not help at all.

P.S.S. Why is it when I put a potion on my characters' belt I still have to put it manually in the quick bar? And wtf it's only one potion while I have 4 on my belt? Do I have to to put every single potion on my belt and every single on the quick bar for every single character?
P.S.S.S. Why my horse I following me into the inn? Even when I go to sleep it stands before me lol... is there a stable somewhere? Ridiculous to make a horse walk on the staircase indoors.
P.S.S.S.S. Suppose I found new equipment for my companions, but from the safe place (the inn) I cannot rearm (or give potions) to them? No, I have to exit the whole area, load the 3D city map go to any other location (but most likely it is going to be a random encounter), redistribute the stuff between companions and get back to the inn. A simple task takes around 4 minutes. Come on....

Some games are not meant to be played on the gamepad. Or the consoles. Oh.... the sense of regret...?  I should have bought BGI&II for PS4. Surely 2D RPG games ought to work fine on PS4. What am I saying? Anything not built on Unity's rust bucket of an engine is working fine. Many massive 3D games, e.g. Resident Evil 2: Remake work flawlessly, the game loads RPD area in less than 30 seconds and there is not a single loading screen until the next WHOLE chapter. And the precinct is huge. Japanese really know how to make a good engine.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2023 at 4:51 PM, Aluminium_Sirius said:

Really suprised nobody mentioned this earlier, BUT the loading times... 

Here in Pathfinder: WOTR it is the next level of ridiculousness. I like the story so far, and that atmosphere of classic RPGs like Baldur games had, but there is this one big issue. You just sit. And wait.

Loading simple 3D map of the city? 49-50 seconds. New area 70-72 seconds (!). Imagine you have to go from point A to B (in a quest for example), but on the road there is a ,,random encounter''. So let's see: exiting A area (loading city 3D map): 50 s + moving to destination..... BANG! -> random unavoidable encounter: 70 s -> one enemy to kill, bang, 5 seconds, continuing on the main road, BUT WAIT! Loading city 3D map (50 s), following the main road (whew! no more random encounters... sometimes there are two) -> entering new area (70 s of loading time)... done.... we are standing before the entrance to, say, a ruined house. Entering inside -> black screen of nothingness: 6-7 seconds... WE DID IT ? Uh-oh... the enemy is a mad alchemist sending two.... trunks which are very hungry, with big angry maws. I do a quick save (8 s). We fight. We die. Reloading save..... 50 seconds...... and so on and so on. And in this game you die. A lot.

The loading times are a lot more bearable when played on a PS5. They're still about 10 seconds for a new area, and quick save still takes a few seconds, but it's not as bad as you described above. Now I do realize that telling you (and others) to get a PS5 just for this game is insane, but at least it's something.

It's insane 1f616.png1f62b.png1f629.png. And to think we will have a hell lot more of random encounters and backtracking (because for instance I forgot to take an item from a previously visited location). It's very off-putting. I mean how many teas one can have during one day? lol

P.S. Yes, I'm recycling all the left over items to be ,,destroyed'' by the game. I left no ,,loot''. It does not help at all.

I've been looting everything and selling them to the same vendor for 3 chapters now. The loading times haven't changed much. I hope you aren't destroying stuff that's worth fair bit of gold or any unique items...

P.S.S.S.S. Suppose I found new equipment for my companions, but from the safe place (the inn) I cannot rearm (or give potions) to them? No, I have to exit the whole area, load the 3D city map go to any other location (but most likely it is going to be a random encounter), redistribute the stuff between companions and get back to the inn. A simple task takes around 4 minutes. Come on....

As for the inability to redistribute equipment in safe areas (where the character selection is just your MC) enter equipment menu, then select one of other party members. They don't show up in the initial party-member-select menu because they're not actually in the active party (top left), but are a companion. It's a little counterintuitive, sure. You can also have them cast spells (see my post about the tavern defense event).

P.S.S. Why is it when I put a potion on my characters' belt I still have to put it manually in the quick bar? And wtf it's only one potion while I have 4 on my belt? Do I have to to put every single potion on my belt and every single on the quick bar for every single character?

The limit of 1 potion per belt slot is normal. Your belt has 5 slots, and only one potion fits in this slot. That you have to manually add them to the action bar is kinda annoying, I get that. If you ever find a metamagic wand and equip it, be sure to add it to the action bar, because it's "on" by default.

P.S.S.S. Why my horse I following me into the inn? Even when I go to sleep it stands before me lol... is there a stable somewhere? Ridiculous to make a horse walk on the staircase indoors.

That's actually just plain funny. Probably to allow the player to change equipment for the mount. Plenty of classes get mounts (and there's even an item that grants you one).

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Aluminium_Sirius said:

I suppose you cannot undress/remove the Trickster mask after you have chosen that mythic path?

I too went Trickster path and I haven't found a way to change it. Not even a goggles item replaces it.

16 hours ago, Aluminium_Sirius said:

Do you know any information regarding on when will they bring photo mode?

My guess is it'll arrive at the same time as the long-awaited texture upgrade. I have no basis for this assumption.

Most up to date info you can find here.

• Like 1

Well, in the mean time I did this:

P.S. I used to be Chaotic Evil to the core, but recently changed to Chaotic Neutral, thus such wondrous outcome. My girl is seeking redemption (that’s my favourite theme in art, be it films, theatre plays, books or music).

Edited by Aluminium_Sirius

On 3/29/2023 at 0:45 PM, Aluminium_Sirius said:

Well, I don’t think they’ll be issuing any new patches anymore. Few days ago they closed their own official forums and on top of that, the game’s now on very hard sale (-60%), so they’re aware they ran out of luck, and there is no more value in the product. That‘s what I think.

It's been on sale before, and I know the forums have been closed once too, to great surprise to the community.

I believe the reasoning behind it is that Owlcat is more active on the Steam forum and/or Reddit.

Patches are still rolling out for PC, and consoles often follow shortly after.