Want More Oddworld Games? Buy New n' Tasty

Parker

The Oddworld creator says that if New n' Tasty reaches 500K sales he'll make a brand new Oddworld game while 250K sales would be enough to make an Abe's Exoddus remake. 

The creator of the Oddworld series said today that 250,000 units of Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty need to be sold in order to fund an Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus remake. Lorne Lanning also said  that another quarter million units in sales should be enough to develop an entirely new installment in the franchise.

"I don't think it's anything less than a $5 million title," Lanning told Eurogamer. "So to Kickstart it I think would be a little deceptive and a risk. But if we sell half a million copies [of New 'n' Tasty], that's not going to be a problem."

He said that, while he could theoretically develop the Abe's Exoddus remake with "a couple million," a brand new game would require much more in terms of expenses and resources.

"If I'm doing a new Oddworld game, I'm not going to do it for $2 million. I might do it for five or six," Lanning said. "People keep asking me, 'Why don't you Kickstart Oddworld? You could get at least $1 or $2 million.' And I'm like 'What would I do with a couple million on Kickstarter? On a new Oddworld title?' Not much."

The Oddworld series has been confined to HD remakes of older titles ever since the near-death of the IP, which IGN covered in an extensive feature two years ago. It took developer Just Add Water months longer than expected to port Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath, an original Xbox title, to PC because of the vast array of hardware specs to account for; fan backlash and vitriol almost killed the franchise.

But Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD sold more than the original game did on Xbox, ranking among the best-selling PSN titles of December, 2011. And as for future sales of New 'n' Tasty, Lanning is optimistic, despite the title's $30 price tag.

"This game will play better, look better, and you'll have more fun for more hours of play than games you're paying $60 for," Lanning said today. "That's a promise. And I can say that with absolute confidence. If this [game] had a publisher, the price would be higher and they'd be calling in triple A."

Source: IGN

I really hope they reach their goal. I love Oddworld and would love to see a brand new game. They'll be getting a sale from me day one. 

Parker