Default and Modern filters in PS Classics

Rozalia1

Been playing Wild Arms 2 and noticed something interesting which I can't really find any information on. The game has 3 options which are Default, CRT Retro, and Modern. Now while I did game on a CRT a long time ago I'm not exactly nostalgic for it because I either was too young, didn't do it for long enough, or it's just simply something I'm not a fan of. That leaves the default and modern which have clear differences.

The modern filter is darker and more saturated than the default, whose brightness seems to eliminate a whole lot of shadows in the game. In fact even before you start the game you can notice something as on the default when the Media Vision logo disappears and the screen is black you can actually make out Media Vision still as it isn't completely black when it disappears, however under modern it goes completely black like the rest of the screen. The modern also seems to look like its the CRT Retro which I assume is trying to mimic how the games originally looked, just without having the CRT effect active. Looking up videos of Wild Arms 2 seems to present the picture that modern is indeed closer to how the game looked originally than the default is. So is the modern filter actually a retro filter? Or does it vary game by game?

Brighter stuff tends to look better to people I know, perhaps why the default is as it is, but playing it how it was originally certain has its own charm and value. What are people's views on these games? Do you prefer/use the default brighter image or go for the darker and more saturated modern?