How much will I be dealing with Dream Eaters?

I played this game back on 3DS at release. I don't remember much, but I vividly recall absolutely hating the Dream Eaters. It's the only KH game where I never bothered getting anywhere near 100% completion.

This game is next on my list of KH games to 100%/Plat but I'm genuinely debating skipping it if I'm spending, say, a third or more of my time dealing with the Dream Eaters. As someone who put up with Re:CoM level grinding and BBS completion, you'd think I'd be ecstatic about a much shorter grind, but I'm really do dislike Dream Eaters so much that I will let it keep me from playing this game and just move on to 0.2. ?

Like the previous poster said, they are a main game mechanic, if not the main game mechanic that defines this KH title.

They are your party members, your primary way of getting stronger and learning new commands and abilities, and a key element of the story. If you don't want your character to lag behind during the game, you will be fusing and caring for new ones constantly to learn what abilities you can from them. Completion then, involves fusing every single unique sort of them and learning every ability in the game, so the postgame has a heavy focus on them too.

This is still KH, so the biggest focus is on bashing things with your keyblade, but the Dream Eaters are so interwoven into the game's story and character progression that you can't just pretend they're not there, unless you're trying to do a challenge run and seriously handicap yourself. And for completion, as mentioned, you have to complete your collection of them.

I love this game and suggest you try it anyway, but yeah.

Edited by LilIelaps

Thanks for the responses. I guess I should've been more specific in my wording though. I do remember that they are my party members and that using them in combat is unavoidable, so that part I'm fine with.

I was more wondering how much time I'd be spending dealing with them in terms of grinding and mini-games for completion. If it's just a matter of fusing them and getting abilities by leveling them up in battle, that's fine! But I also vaguely remember some sort of annoying pinball minigame with grating music and unnecessary petting mechanics so if that's how I'm fusing and leveling them up and that takes a huge chunk of my play time, I'd rather not go through that. If it was just for some completion mark in the journal though, I'll suffer through the 5-10 minutes or however long it takes to just get it out of the way.

Edited by GigaZettaSlow