Weird issue with game audio through hdmi

cy1999aek_maik

I have been dealing with a weird issue on ps3. The sound through hdmi works fine in the xmb, but it stops when in game. The 'key tone' of the xmb works(when scrolling through the menus) and when I stay hovering on one of the games the game soundtracks play as usual. But when I enter a game, netflix or prime video, it doesn't output any audio. Not if I bring up the xmb either. I have to quit the game for audio to return. This happens with multiple games, multiple hdmi cables and multiple hdmi channels on my screen. However, when I switch to the ps2 red yellow white cable the sound comes through fine. The problem with that is I have to play in a shitty resolution, my screen doesn't allow me to play the hdmi video with the 'pal' audio. I've tried to reset the audio settings, I've tried holding down the power button so the ps3 re-registers the hdmi cable. This is very odd, the only solution I can think of is trying to get a hold of a 'component' cable which seems to be capable to output 1080p. Has anyone encountered this bizarre issue? I apologize for the badly formatted wall of text, I typed this in a car lol

Did you try checking the sound settings on your PS3 and make sure it's on HDMI?

It might be that you have checked on surround sound while you don't have it.

Or another suggestion on reddit:

For those who have this problem go to sound settings chose hdmi and then unselect all the others that are selected leave only those that are in grey which are required also when you have the option to choose between manual and automatic I recommend to choose manual then it will tell if you want to accept it say yes and start your game again the sound will be there 

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS3/comments/77jna6/playstation_3_will_play_sound_when_on_menu_but/

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kolm said:

Did you try checking the sound settings on your PS3 and make sure it's on HDMI?

It might be that you have checked on surround sound while you don't have it.

Or another suggestion on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS3/comments/77jna6/playstation_3_will_play_sound_when_on_menu_but/

This post is a gift from god. For anyone in the future having the same issue this is exactly what I did to fix it:

1. Went to system settings and turned 'Control for HDMI' OFF

2. Went to sound setting and turned 'Key Tone' OFF

3. In sound settings, go to audio output settings, hdmi, manual then uncheck as many boxes as possible and save settings. 

It kinda hurts losing the key tone but I'd rather have game sound

1 hour ago, cy1999aek_maik said:

This post is a gift from god. For anyone in the future having the same issue this is exactly what I did to fix it:

1. Went to system settings and turned 'Control for HDMI' OFF

2. Went to sound setting and turned 'Key Tone' OFF

3. In sound settings, go to audio output settings, hdmi, manual then uncheck as many boxes as possible and save settings. 

It kinda hurts losing the key tone but I'd rather have game sound

Happy it already helped! :)

Out of curiosity: Is step 1 and 2 required? I think the Reddit post meant to uncheck as many boxes as possible in your step 3 only. And not what you did in step 1 and 2.

Can you try first turning key tone on again and if that still works?
And after that the 'Control for HDMI'?

The 'Control for HDMI' setting is used for communication between tv and PS3. So the tv can turn on the PS3 if switched to the right channel and the PS3 can turn on the tv when the PS3 is turned on. Both PS3 and TV need to have the setting on for it to work and each TV brand has it own name for the function. I use it for PS4 and PS5 because older PS3's (I have a FAT 80GB model) don't support it.
More on it: https://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/ctrlhdmi.html

Edited by Kolm

2 hours ago, Kolm said:

Happy it already helped! :)

Out of curiosity: Is step 1 and 2 required? I think the Reddit post meant to uncheck as many boxes as possible in your step 3 only. And not what you did in step 1 and 2.

Can you try first turning key tone on again and if that still works?
And after that the 'Control for HDMI'?

The 'Control for HDMI' setting is used for communication between tv and PS3. So the tv can turn on the PS3 if switched to the right channel and the PS3 can turn on the tv when the PS3 is turned on. Both PS3 and TV need to have the setting on for it to work and each TV brand has it own name for the function. I use it for PS4 and PS5 because older PS3's (I have a FAT 80GB model) don't support it.
More on it: https://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/ctrlhdmi.html

I'm not sure about the control hdmi setting. However when I turned key note on it seems to mess up the sound. I'm hesitant to test more because I've been struggling with it for a couple days. Others in that reddit post have solved this issue with the key note setting as well,that's where I got the idea from. It is definitely weird and random. I mean, the sound was working fine one day and stopped the next without me updating the firmware or messing with any settings. 

1 minute ago, cy1999aek_maik said:

I'm not sure about the control hdmi setting. However when I turned key note on it seems to mess up the sound. I'm hesitant to test more because I've been struggling with it for a couple days. Others in that reddit post have solved this issue with the key note setting as well,that's where I got the idea from. It is definitely weird and random. I mean, the sound was working fine one day and stopped the next without me updating the firmware or messing with any settings. 

Can you remember if anything on your TV changed? Either changed a setting or the TV got an update.
In that case the TV in combination with the 'Control HDMI' setting might be the culprit.

Just now, Kolm said:

Can you remember if anything on your TV changed? Either changed a setting or the TV got an update.
In that case the TV in combination with the 'Control HDMI' setting might be the culprit.

Ah of course, that would make sense. I am not very aware of what is going on with my tv, whether it updates or not. It is some obscure local brand and I don't pay attention. I think it is connected to the wifi so that might have happened. 

On 17-4-2023 at 8:12 PM, cy1999aek_maik said:

Ah of course, that would make sense. I am not very aware of what is going on with my tv, whether it updates or not. It is some obscure local brand and I don't pay attention. I think it is connected to the wifi so that might have happened. 

It being an obscure brand might already be enough ?

But at least you got it to work :)