Is this game safe to play? Hard Crash

DaTruthAboutCats

I've been playing Returnal for maybe a couple of hours. I'm in a random area playing and the game shuts my whole PS5 off. I've played other games for way longer. And I've never had it crash on me like that.

So is this something I can continue to let happen again? Or should I just let this game go until a patch or something happens?

15 minutes ago, DaTruthAboutCats said:

I've been playing Returnal for maybe a couple of hours. I'm in a random area playing and the game shuts my whole PS5 off. I've played other games for way longer. And I've never had it crash on me like that.

So is this something I can continue to let happen again? Or should I just let this game go until a patch or something happens?

Its not the game per'se but the system overheating, you just appened to be playing Returnal when your PS5 had built up so much dust.

This will keep happening if you dont clean your system, you will need to take off your covers and do so.

Going forward, try to do this regularly or it will keep happening

32 minutes ago, Optinooby said:

Its not the game per'se but the system overheating, you just appened to be playing Returnal when your PS5 had built up so much dust.

This will keep happening if you dont clean your system, you will need to take off your covers and do so.

Going forward, try to do this regularly or it will keep happening

Nonsense, the PS5 displays a warning before overheating and even lets you do a controlled shutdown.

Returnal was quite buggy when it came out, including hard crashes. It should be pretty stable right now (I had one crash in 80ish hours) and make autosaves every room you finished. I'd definitely keep trying unless the crashing becomes extremely common.

1 hour ago, NewDust said:

Nonsense, the PS5 displays a warning before overheating and even lets you do a controlled shutdown.

Returnal was quite buggy when it came out, including hard crashes. It should be pretty stable right now (I had one crash in 80ish hours) and make autosaves every room you finished. I'd definitely keep trying unless the crashing becomes extremely common.

I wish it was mate and im not going to try and accuse you of being wrong as I keep an open mind.

Its happened to me before twice with no warning and others as well if you spend some time researching.

If the system does give you a warning, then perhaps that is since an update has rolled out or maybe it's suppose to but doesn't always, maybe depends on the circumstances. I cant explain why it didnt for me and others, you will have to take that up with Sony or just keep calling me a liar I guess, but im just trying to help.

The OP is also additional proof, they clearly didnt get a warning message otherwise they would have said that "My system is overheating during Returnal".

Im not saying its a fix TC, but removing the covers and cleaning the dust worked for me. Hopefully others that it has happened to can chime in also.

Edited by Optinooby

10 hours ago, NewDust said:

I did not get a warning. My PS5 just shutdown for about 10 minutes and I had to unplug it, because it would not start by remote or manually. Once I plugged it back in, it started but had to rebuild itself. Didn't take very long.

And once that happened I was back at the starting screen, and it brought up an error prompt that "was sent to Sony". And it was an error with its own code.

After debating on replaying Returnal, I finally took the chance and to my surprise I was still in the cycle from what kicked me in the first place. 

Looked up this problem online and others had it happen to them a couple years ago. There's been a supposed patch that keeps this from happening but the PC port is having a ton of issues.

I deduce it's the game and system not working properly together. But I did put my PS5 in a more ventilated area on my entertainment center. The system was pretty warm. But I'm not sure if it was abnormally that warm or not.

• 7 months later...

To avoid creating another thread, I'll post here, yesterday for the first time my PS5 crashed playing Returnal but i went to the error reports and said it was software related, dont have the exact code right now but after googling it everything pointed out to a software issue.

Game froze, was able to go to the dashboard and then screen went black. PS5 restarted rebuilding databse.

Edited by mephisto3dg

• 2 weeks later...

The game itself is prone to crashing.. maybe 1/10 runs it crashed on me. It either freezes while going through a portal to another Biome, or crashes randomly with the report error pop up.

It's not bad enough to feel put off from playing, but it does really suck when it crashes late in a good run.

Edited by uzrmd
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, uzrmd said:

The game itself is prone to crashing.. maybe 1/10 runs it crashed on me. It either freezes while going through a portal to another Biome, or crashes randomly with the report error pop up.

It's not bad enough to feel put off from playing, but it does really suck when it crashes late in a good run.

Yea I haven't played it for about 6 months or so. But I remember it crashed my PS5. The game would freeze and you couldn't get the system to the home screen. So all you could do was unplug it. Which I hate doing.