NBA 2K23 Causing PS5 to Turn Off

TheDXJC56

So I was able to get through all the basic intro to myteam stuff with no problem, but when I tried to start a game in domination twice I've had my whole PS5 shut off and reboot as if I unplugged it from the wall both times. Literally NEVER had this happen EVER before and my PS5 was really hot afterwards. Based on some minimal research it looks like there is a common issue with this game causing the whole system to overheat. Figured I'd make a PSA for anyone else that was considering deleting half their storage to download this game since it's free this month that it might be an issue worth considering first.

Also if anyone else has experienced this and can reaffirm what I'm saying or knows any work arounds for this issue that they can contribute that be great!

I had the same issue a few weeks back with Fortnite and Dead by Daylight on PS5, from my understanding it only occurs when playing PS5 games and is an issue with airflow to the power supply

A lot of people online had suggested that moving the console from vertical to horizontal would fix the issue, for me this only worked for a few days until it started happening again (I have multiple pets and live in a dry climate so for me dust is always a big issue) probably for most people the issue would probably be remedied by just vacuuming out the dust catcher holes but ultimately, for me, I had to take the fan out and was able to notice that there was a lot of dust blocking the air intake holes that lead to the power supply in the bottom of the console and cleaning that out fixed the issue (which I believe is more likely to occur if the console is vertical but idk)

Edited by AshtonCakeTTV
Clarity
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, AshtonCakeTTV said:

I had the same issue a few weeks back with Fortnite and Dead by Daylight on PS5, from my understanding it only occurs when playing PS5 games and is an issue with airflow to the power supply

A lot of people online had suggested that moving the console from vertical to horizontal would fix the issue, for me this only worked for a few days until it started happening again (I have multiple pets and live in a dry climate so for me dust is always a big issue) probably for most people the issue would probably be remedied by just vacuuming out the dust catcher holes but ultimately, for me, I had to take the fan out and was able to notice that there was a lot of dust blocking the air intake holes that lead to the power supply in the bottom of the console and cleaning that out fixed the issue (which I believe is more likely to occur if the console is vertical but idk)

Thanks I did some vacumming and the system runs great, i had some mesh around so I placed over the fan intake to prevent the heatsink from getting more dirtier faster.

There wasnt a lot of dust and hair, but its crazy how much a little can do on the PS5!!! and some people want the PS5 to be smaller and slimmer ?, gonna get hotter so much easier then! 

I've been having the same issue the last couple weeks. It doesn't happen with any game other than NBA 2k23. I've deleted and re-installed, cleaned out my console, save data, cleared cache, and even reset my PS5. Can't find a fix. I can finish short games like triple threat or clutch time in myteam but every time I get to the 4th quarter of a 5 minute quarter game my PS5 crashes like I unplugged it from the wall. Impossible to keep progressing in the jordan challenge, the mycareer story trophies or unlimited myteam trophies.