Collector questions (online)

Squeek111

My question is, everyone talks about the map where you can do runs and see where all the items are.

But as far as I understand you can only activate 1 collection at a time? Or am I wrong?

Because when I try to open up a second map from Madame Nazar, it nullifies and deletes the first one that was activated.

Or can you pick up items anyway?

You can collect everything available. The maps you get from Madame Nazar only give you indicators to certain items, and opening up a different map from her will remove the indicators from the previous map and only show them from the current map. You don't actually need those maps for anything other than having a few indictors in-game to easily find some items.

The map people usually refer to is this one: https://jeanropke.github.io/RDR2CollectorsMap/

Edited by Stevieboy
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Stevieboy said:

You can collect everything available. The maps you get from Madame Nazar only give you indicators to certain items, and opening up a different map from her will remove the indicators from the previous map and only show them from the current map. You don't actually need those maps for anything other than having a few indictors in-game to easily find some items.

The map people usually refer to is this one: https://jeanropke.github.io/RDR2CollectorsMap/

Ok! I thought they were needed for the items to appear.

Do people pick up everything, or have a special route with just a few of the collectables/sets?

Thank you very much for a quick reply btw! :)

10 minutes ago, Squeek111 said:

Do people pick up everything, or have a special route with just a few of the collectables/sets?

It's hard to have a set route as the items have different spawns each day, and you'll more than likely have to cover the whole map anyway. The 4 sets of tarot cards, family heirlooms, antique alcohol bottles, birds eggs (providing none glitch on you), and flowers all have certain set spawns on the map each day, so those are probably the best ones to go for. You can actually find 3 complete sets of flowers every day too, as each flower has at least 3 spawns, although 2 of the flowers only spawn from 10:00 PM to 5:00 AM in-game time, so that would bring the total to 10 complete sets to find, presuming none of the eggs glitch on you (as that can happen, with the egret and spoonbill eggs being particular offenders).

The rest of the sets are more randomised, with the jewellery sets having some items with set spawns on certain days, and others being completely random. The fossils, arrowheads and coins are all completely random spawns, so you might never actually complete any of those sets.

My personal recommendation would be to definitely go for the 4 sets of tarot cards, family heirlooms and antique bottles each day, then add in the flowers and aim to pick 3 of each one if you have time to spare. I'd only add in the eggs if you wanted to collect more due to their propensity to glitch, and the requirement of the varmint rifle or bow for some of them. You might need the metal detector and spade for some of the heirlooms, but the tarot cards, antique bottles and flowers can all be collected without needing anything.

• Like 2

On 2023-07-25 at 2:43 PM, Stevieboy said:

It's hard to have a set route as the items have different spawns each day, and you'll more than likely have to cover the whole map anyway. The 4 sets of tarot cards, family heirlooms, antique alcohol bottles, birds eggs (providing none glitch on you), and flowers all have certain set spawns on the map each day, so those are probably the best ones to go for. You can actually find 3 complete sets of flowers every day too, as each flower has at least 3 spawns, although 2 of the flowers only spawn from 10:00 PM to 5:00 AM in-game time, so that would bring the total to 10 complete sets to find, presuming none of the eggs glitch on you (as that can happen, with the egret and spoonbill eggs being particular offenders).

The rest of the sets are more randomised, with the jewellery sets having some items with set spawns on certain days, and others being completely random. The fossils, arrowheads and coins are all completely random spawns, so you might never actually complete any of those sets.

My personal recommendation would be to definitely go for the 4 sets of tarot cards, family heirlooms and antique bottles each day, then add in the flowers and aim to pick 3 of each one if you have time to spare. I'd only add in the eggs if you wanted to collect more due to their propensity to glitch, and the requirement of the varmint rifle or bow for some of them. You might need the metal detector and spade for some of the heirlooms, but the tarot cards, antique bottles and flowers can all be collected without needing anything.

Ok! Thank you so much for the information :)

Do you by any chance know what the daily rotation is? I thought I found it, but it seems not to be the correct time, because last night when I played all of a sudden alot of items changed place, and I dont know when it did.

34 minutes ago, Squeek111 said:

Ok! Thank you so much for the information :)

Do you by any chance know what the daily rotation is? I thought I found it, but it seems not to be the correct time, because last night when I played all of a sudden alot of items changed place, and I dont know when it did.

The interactive map I linked above refreshes at midnight UTC time, so I assumed that to be it. The in-game daily challenges have a different refresh time though, so it's hard to tell if the map refresh time is actually accurate or not. I was usually done with my collecting before the map refreshed, so I can't confirm it's accuracy regarding the time.

Edited by Stevieboy
  • Like 1

If you want a route, that map can auto-generate one for you if you scroll down for a bit.

I used that for a few long days of collecting, and while it ain't perfect it's a great help; just filter out everything you don't want to pick up beforehand. Then you might want to adjust the route a bit if there's an offroad way to get to another place faster, but then you just choose to generate the route again after marking something as picked up. You can also generate a route with "less important" items not marked, then make them visible again just in case there's one very nearby your location, but combining these two strategies might make it a bit cumbersome.

I remember doing some clean sweeps of all items on the map, and that usually took 4-6 hours of playtime. Of course, sometimes items are placed in very far-away locations so just one item might take a good while to get to while others are lumped together.

Other than that, Stevie said the important stuff on what to focus on, and I fully agree with it. I remember digging stuff up was pretty good exp even without getting the full sets, but I did most of my collecting during a monthly event and maybe that was part of what had increased exp gain? But overall even without the full sets the exp builds quickly and most importantly reliably with just collecting stuff.

On 7/25/2023 at 5:20 AM, Squeek111 said:

The best part about this method is, you get XP for every little thing you collect. So you can just collect everything in one area and move on to the next. Whether you go through the entire map in 1 cycle or complete any sets in that 1 cycle doesn't really matter as you could just collect the new collectibles when it refreshes and you could complete sets then. 

You can also check to see if you're close to completing a set and you could prioritize collecting those items first. 

By the time you complete a set and sell it to Madame Nazar you'll probably have leveled up a few times already. You can get to level 50 in less than a week no problem.