Some questions

I am considering getting the game, now that it's on sale right now. 

I have a few questions before i do so though:

1. I will never get the "emperor"-trophy, but how hard are the other trophies in the game? The "complete all quests/caves" trophies generally have a low %-rating. Is it because they are *hard* or because there are too many of them?

2. I prefer to play games alone. Is this possible at all in this game? Can i do dungeons alone? 

3. If i dont plan to do that "emperor"-trophy, how long should i expect to play if i go straight for the trophies (which i propably wont do, but i want to know anyways) ?

4. Is it possible to do everything on 1 character?

Thank you in advance!

1. Caves/quests are quite numerous so thats more likely reason for low percentage. Everything is soloable without problems. Fishing trophy is annoying grind.

2. Normal versions of dungeons are soloable in some extend but faster to clear with pug via group finder. No need to communicate with others if that's something you dont like. 

3 no opinion on emperor trophy. Havent tried it. 

4. Everything can be done on single char. Using multiple chars gives some variety though.

Hey to answer your questions above

1. Emperor isn't difficult, it's just a time sink. If you look through previous topics on this forum, someone had a very easy build to make that you could take to the under lvl50 server which resets weekly. When weekly reset happens, log in, build your points up by repairing the walls and doors of keeps (these give huge amounts of points), capture resources and keeps. Youll probably even get it without even killing another player (no joke). With how cyrodiil works, mainly one faction will claim the map  log off and another one will come on. Just make sure you're ahead in 1st place when your faction is on and you'll coast through to the emperor. Although be warned you're looking at a good 5-7hrs of play on day 1, and that's if no one else in your faction is also fighting for emperor on reset, if so you'll need to negotiate with them in the text chat. I would not recommend going for this first as you'll need a good degree of knowledge on how a chosen build and rotation work.

On the subject of caves/delves, they're incredibly simple and will just be a part of completing one sector of the tamriel map. They have a boss you need to kill to complete the delve, some will have an easy side quest that is normally just grabbing the quest and talking to someone in town for completion and all of them have a sky-shard. It's low completion due to how long it takes to finish one factional side of the map.

2. Majority of the game can be done solo except dungeons and trials. Trials are a 12 person activity that can't be match made with randoms into. You can make a group for them by going to the end game area "Craglorn" and typing in text chat, e.g. if you're doing sunspire: "Lf 1t 2h 8dd nSs", or whispering to someone advertising for a trial group. Dungeons can be matchmade into, however I would advise joining a dungeon specific guild in eso and forming a group with them. Easiest role to play is a healer, as you will have an easier rotation to complete and will not need to worry about boss dps or taking agro from boss' and enemies. Base game dungeons are incredibly easy due to nearly ten years of power creep, however the dlc ones on veteran, especially the last pack on the first list can be brutal without a good team. You will also need to be around champion rank 400-500 to get the required extra perks that will help you go far.

Quests can all be done in solo, they're easy and kinda relaxing. Main quest is well written and has some interesting twists, and some side quests reward careful listeners by giving tips or giving you an option to persuade or intimate npc's. Although you can also breeze through them easily if you cba. Only other thing thats solo only is maelstrom arena, which you will need a very good build to get through.

3. You're looking at a time investment of around 500-1000 hours, with or without emperor. 500 or less if you know what you're doing, more if you don't. For reference, I have over 1000 but that's because I like going for ingame achievements and also the second list of trophies, my friends who are first list only are almost done and sit around the 600/700 mark.

4. As previous commenter mentioned, all can be done on one character. There is a new feature in rhe game called loadouts which lets you create multiple roles for your character, so you can develop a dps character alongside an alternate build you can swap to for either healer, tank or stealth for dark brotherhood/thieves guild.

While you also didn't ask for it, here is a quick checklist I'd recommend following to get into eso:

1. Play the base game quests and enjoy it. Have fun learning the game. Utilise "eso uesp map" online to have an interactive map that tells you where locations, skyshards quests, bosses etc are on the map. Apply the trait training to your gear to maximise your levelling and skills levelling.

2. Get eso+. Saves you money on dlc in the long run, access to the craft bag and also crowns which you can save to get assistants such as a shop you can pull out to sell stuff on the fly  or a bank to store your goods and other things.

3. Get into the crafting roles, these will make upgrading your gear for end game a lot easier, and will require less materials to upgrade. Watch a video on this, as you'll also be learning weapon and armour traits on the fly.

4. Complete your factions' areas and quests, alongside main story and the base game dungeons (you csn check achievements in game for which ones are base game). Id recommend doing the fishing on an area by area basis as its long and boring. There are champion points skills you can get later on whixh will increase chances of catching rare fish and also give you faster reel in times.

5. Look up a good build and rotation for your character that is updated to this year. Look at what gear sets you need, food/potions to craft and how your rotation works. To get your rotation optimal it will take a number of hours of practice to get it even above 15k, with dps needed for maelstrom sitting at around 20-25k deltiasgaming has by far the best builds for each character, and he also has it spread out for new starters, dungeons, arenas, trials and pvp. He will most likely recommend getting mythic items although if you plan on not doing the second list you can ignore these and instead add in whichever item is missing to complete two 5x gear sets for their bonuses.

6. Do the dlc stories. Not too bad, world bosses you may need help as some are designed for multiple players. Just ask in zone chat for help if you get stuck. Dark brotherhood and thieves guild are the only time gated and skill gated dlc's, and have a few annoying trophies.

6. Do the dlc dungeons on normal first and practice your chosen role. Matchmaking with randoms should be fine, they're not too bad on normal.

7. Do the dlc dungeons on veteran. Make sure you're above 400 champion points and join a dungeon based guild to have the best chances of doing these. Some of the misc trophies sound awful, but all of them can be cheesed (I might write a guide on that some other time).

8. Do maelstrom arena on normal and veteran. Veteran is brutal as irs solo and tests your knowledge of your build, rotation and boss mechanics. However, you do get checkpoints after you kill each room's boss so you can spread your time over multiple days and not lose progress, so long as you don't abandon the repeatable quest you get from it.

9. Take all the knowledge that you've learnt, stsrt a new character and mid-max it to around level 30-36 max with an emphasis on focusing only on pvp related skills. Use your other character to craft a pvp set for this character and do the emperor trophy. You've got this.

10. Do battlegrounds,  it's an annoying pvp mode with two trophies. It'll take some perseverance however sometimes you're lucky and it has a weekend dedicated to a specific mode. You'll want capture the relic for the capture trophy, and I found king of the hill the easiest to get 3k points as I just focused on capturing points and healing my team which gave a ridiculous amount of points.

11. Plat and 100%

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It's an enormous time sink. If you just focus on the trophies rather than the MMO/guild stuff it actually could be done a bit quicker but you will need a good 4-man team for dungeons and likely join a guild for 12 player content. But I agree that the 100% could set you back up to 1,000 hours. Meta builds change with each update but right now the arcanist class is pretty strong across DPS, tank and healer classes. At the start world bosses will kick your ass but by level 50 you'll start beating most of them down solo. But for the best chance of doing all in the game with a build it would probably be 64 magicka 64 sorc/arcanist glass cannon DPS. Tanks and healers have a tougher time with veteran content and usually get blamed for all squad wipes.

Expect lots of grinding for fishing, dolmens, world bosses quests and skyshards. Pick a "State" and complete everything required for saviour for that state - complete your home faction states, beat the story and then start on the non-faction states. There is a new NPC companion that can cut down time on fishing - but yeah takes a Loong time.

Difficulty wise there are a quite a few trophies that you need to look out for: dungeons and arenas. Some have difficult dungeon related feat trophies (such as don't touch lava in bloodroot forge, don't get hit by siege fire in Falkreath hold etc).

The DLC dungeons on veteran are all very tough - the majority of the base game dungeons can be soloed with a good self-sustaining character and reasonable damage output and just tank and spank (but some have multiplayer mechanics to open doors or free people caught in killshot mechanics by bosses). Lots of good gear to help with set ups. The dungeon finder to pair with randoms for dungeons is quite horrendous. Expect to run into instances of poor team set up solo builds, fake healer and fake tank builds not even close to their role which makes these almost impossible. It's not even easy with 2 good players with knowledge of the mechanics. Experiences vary but IMO they are getting harder with each new release. However, people in the ESO community are generally very helpful in overland content if you are stuck or need aid.

Maelstrom and Vateshran veteran Arenas can be done with primarily DPS toons but it is very difficult for tank and healer builds as DPS damage checks do occur and if you aren't doing good damage the mechanics will just beat you. Since I main as a tank - this will be one of the last things I'll get around to as my DPS tops out at 10K on a trial dummy lol so the Maebrooga green circle of 1 shot death kills me every time.

Trials are 12 man dungeons and thankfully there are no Veteran or speedrun/survivor trophies with these.

ESO + is worth it for the craft bag alone let alone the crowns you get each month but most of the store items bought with crowns are just cosmetic. Plus you can access all DLC except the newest one (Telvanni Peninsula/Apochrypha unless you buy that edition)

Get into crafting as soon as you can and do your daily crafting endeavors to build up resources and gold.

Learn your build, skill rotations and resource management and try the veteran content once you are at 400-500 champion points as they can make a big difference.

Do the PvP last with a new character below level 50 - people are getting emperor all the time.

It is great though.

Edited by Shady_Wombat