Packing Heat trophy guide in 2023

Cpt-Redding

I cannot seem to get this trophy while fulfilling all the "requirements" stated in the guide and various Forums online as it since the guide was written the game has changed a fair bit so i want to know if anyone who has recently earned the trophy could share exactly how. 

I had read you needed to use a Year 1 Exotic weapon (i used Invective and Truth) but i have done that and no trophy. I also read somewhere else it needed to be to LL 365, again done that and no dice. Currently i am trying a theory that you need to upgrade an exotic blueprint from Year 1 but lets see. 

Any help would be much appreciated by me, and hopefully others coming after me!

I got the trophy, check my comment near the bottom for how!

Edited by Cpt-Redding

This is what the PSNP Guide says (it was updated in 2019, which is 2 years after the last patch was released for D1):

To fully upgrade any weapon, you have to earn experience. After enough experience, you can unlock upgrades for that weapon, most of which require purchase. This trophy wants you to use an Exotic weapon (not an Exotic armor) and fully max it out in experience and purchase all upgrades. There are no Exotics that can't be upgraded, so that's not a concern. Any weapon type counts, whether Primary, Secondary, or Special.

It should be noted that you can earn lots of experience through using Motes of Light, which you should have a ton of by the time you get your first Exotic. In your inventory, "use" the Motes of Light to earn experience on all of your equipped gear. It's all visual, though, so it's unclear how many Motes you'd need to use to go from 0 to fully upgraded on an Exotic. Just make sure to keep checking back to see if you maxed out the weapon yet. Other experience methods work as usual, of course, like bounties and Crucible and Vanguard tasks.

Note: Legacy Year 1 Exotics (Level 20 or below) need to be "ascended" using an Exotic Shard to bring their attack level to 170 to count as "fully upgraded". You do not need to ascend Year 2 or Year 3 Exotics. For ascending Year 1 Exotics, you can earn Exotic Shards by playing the Weekly Nightfall Strike playlist (requires Rise of Iron DLC) or by dismantling other Exotic items.

24 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

This is what the PSNP Guide says (it was updated in 2019, which is 2 years after the last patch was released for D1):

Yeah this is the first guide i followed but seemingly there have been changes since it was written as my Year 1 exotics have no option to "ascend" and all start at a much higher light level than 170. Thanks though!

Does give me the idea that i can try getting an exotic below 170 on a separate character and then go that way.

Edited by Cpt-Redding
spelling mistake

Update! I got the trophy!

So I did not have to ascend the weapon even though it was a Year 1, or build it from a blueprint and in the end it was quite simple and something i had ignored assuming it did not affect me.

Context, i do not own Rise of Iron and most of my exotic weapons had a visual upgrade that i could not unlock i assume as it was tied to the DLC. I therefore had to find an exotic weapon without the visual upgrades path.

In the end i used the Univeral Remote and the upgrade path had no cosmetics. Previously i had tried with Truth, Dragon's Breath, Trespasser and Invective, a mixture of Year 1 and non weapons and their upgrade paths all had cosmetic upgrades. I do not think LL matters either despite some rumours online saying so, but my Universal Remote was 359 when i upgraded and i did it with Motes of Light.

Anyway, a long story that i hope helps someone in the future as it was difficult finding accurate information on this trophy in 2023. I will upload photos of the upgrade path that worked and didn't work to Imgur when it stops crashing on me.

• Like 3