Having Difficulties in Setting Up Monitor Audio

Fiercethetear

Hello guys. So I bought a 2012 model Lenovo Monitor today, as it was quite cheap. Though I am having great difficulties setting up the video and sound. While I managed to get an HDMI to DVI device (the monitor does not have an HDMI port), I think this blocked the audio, because whenever I go to audio settings and select HDMI, I am greeted with the message "This HDMI" device cannot be used for audio output".

So I watched this video https://youtu.be/x6Uo-3S8Fyk?si=GHJdc7MWLne1Yfhc. I am going to buy these peripherals in the image I have attached below, can anyone who went through this process confirm whether or not they will work? Or any other recommendations for audio? I have a 3.5mm jack headset and I want to get audio from there, not through speakers or anything.

r/PS3 - Having Difficulties Setting Up the Monitor

r/PS3 - Having Difficulties Setting Up the Monitor

Sorry for the enormous pics btw lol, don't know how to make them smaller.

Edited by Fiercethetear
  • Like 1

You could try a HDMI to VGA adapter that has a 3.5mm jack, that's how my older consoles are hooked up to a monitor. Got mine from BestBuy.

Or a HDMI audio extractor and get a DisplayPort to HDMI cable. Your speakers would then plug into that and not your monitor.

Edited by SophieSoftware
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, SophieSoftware said:

You could try a HDMI to VGA adapter that has a 3.5mm jack, that's how my older consoles are hooked up to a monitor. Got mine from BestBuy.

Or a HDMI audio extractor and get a DisplayPort to HDMI cable. Your speakers would then plug into that and not your monitor.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/354122578539?hash=item527359ba6b:g:2AoAAOSwTvlissPb&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8OdHVsCw3WpGcv4xZkMuLByM1b7Mp%2BLIKJgkLs9jH9i7kDx1PsPdfMgbS%2FlGOw7sKnMzz15LwvPv4gediCg0pZNKoT%2BhSmFgp2SkcdXUSZL60ykxM%2F6W4652SZDUiNK0S5BS1ohwhVBrLKyH5gBH67TR7MZ3KKiksT24Yv8DPs6YcJxU%2FSv%2BQES0mackGreFCVFyOGh%2FvM5ECxN8ReGUdukBRm4XIBgXrrxsOOL%2F1AY5IqvVGnCSB4WMiK5TcTdPgHacKWFsJBDpc9BjuaED3SMLCnqplxIuH6jWgMLMDqwwmBEaFvz5xyF%2B1DhHk61hag%3D%3D|tkp%3ABFBMyPi_qp1j

Is this what you are referring to? Good advice, nobody mentioned this before.

Guys over there in the PS3 subreddit also mentioned using "Display Port to HDMI Port" (display port being one on the very right) and then putting your headphones in the 3.5mmm port on the monitor.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Fiercethetear said:

Yeps something like that. Close to what I've been using on PS3/4/5. Only thing with PS3 is your gonna have to adjust your console audio settings. Had to set mine to AAC 

Hm that might work too. Though some monitors have a 3.5mm jack for connecting a PC to it via a male to male 3.5mm cable so it can play sound through the monitors built-in speakers. So I'm unsure if it would pass audio through from the DisplayPort to HDMI cord then through the monitors 3.5mm jack. Worth a try though.