My Tips To Reach Golden League

This doesn't just work for SFV, but a lot of these tips work across ALL fighting games. Great guide in general @Xx-KingOFDark-xX!

The hardest part of any fighting game is not learning your character, it's learning the match ups of all the other characters. It's why personally, I think it's good to at least try every character and have a general understanding of how they work. For example, knowing Zangeif has troubles navigating through fireballs and zoners is helpful or knowing that Ken playstyle pushes the offense and plays more aggressive than someone like Dhalsim.

A lot of this is learned through playing, but it's important to not get frustrated at the beginning. If you find yourself struggling with a particular match up, lab it.

Unfortunately, the netcode and my dogwater internet can't handle me going for this trophy. Otherwise, I would go for it.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

This doesn't just work for SFV, but a lot of these tips work across ALL fighting games. Great guide in general @Xx-KingOFDark-xX!

The hardest part of any fighting game is not learning your character, it's learning the match ups of all the other characters. It's why personally, I think it's good to at least try every character and have a general understanding of how they work. For example, knowing Zangeif has troubles navigating through fireballs and zoners is helpful or knowing that Ken playstyle pushes the offense and plays more aggressive than someone like Dhalsim.

A lot of this is learned through playing, but it's important to not get frustrated at the beginning. If you find yourself struggling with a particular match up, lab it.

Unfortunately, the netcode and my dogwater internet can't handle me going for this trophy. Otherwise, I would go for it.

That's true about the learning the other characters. 

However, I did not touch on it too much because in the case of SFV, many players up to super gold just throw obvious unsafe  moves (your heavy kicks, tatsus....etc), jump a lot and have just the one fightingplan (flowchart). Which why I put a lot of emphasis on learning your character. For just learning the basics and having a 55% - 65% winrate will be enough to get you to gold. With AA, punishes and figuring out the flowcharts. Especially considering, you only fight gold players when you reach ultra silver. And all the bronze and silver players do all the shenanigans and nonsense I mentioned. 

15 hours ago, x49ersblitzkreig said:

Holy hell that's a lot to read but amazing guide mate.

Thank you very much. That really means a lot. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

A bit of an update.

I have managed to reach platinum using the same tips above.

When you reach Ultra Silver, you begin to fight people in gold. With gold players, there are two types of players.

25% of the time you will fight actual good players who make the occasional mistakes. You just have you outsmart and outplay them, and they will be more of a challenge you have to overcome.

The other 75% are just players who reached to gold and even platinum depending on BS most people don't know. Either they have perfected a string of attacks and combos and you just have to break their "flowchart" and they will be helpless. Bringing us back to point 3 above. Or just using random attacks that are rare to see and hence not able to counter.

Like this Vega player below. He beat me once using Vega's flying moves. I watched a quick video on what to do and faced him again. I haven't perfected the timing on punishing his moves since I never went into training for it but it got the job done. Once I broke his "flowchart", he basically turned into a bronze player who doesn't know what to do. Even ragequit when I bested him a 3rd time.  My V-trigger parry also helped, so if you character has a parry skill that will do a lot of work.

One thing I learned is some players are just reacting to your character moving to do their moves. Like when I baited the Vega player below at 1:33. When they just reacted to my V-skill and I dashed back to punish them. So a good trick is bait and punish. 

Same thing applies all the way to platinum. One important thing I need to emphases is KEEP CALM AND OBSERVE. I'm not using many combo with Alex and 75% of what carried me to platinum is blocking and figuring out people's habits. Do they jump after I block their moves, do they always dash and throw, they always press low HK after their combo. Stuff like that and then it's just catching them from their habits.

Another helpful tip is keep an eye on what V-skill and V-trigger a player uses before the match. So you would not be caught off guard. I knew this Vega player's flower v-trigger so whenever it was full. I kept jumping to avoid it or blocking when I'm afar as I knew he liked to throw it randomly or on wake-up.

This is a video of me reaching Platinum.

One thing to note where which relates to point 1.D above:

D. Learn some set-ups on people you throw to the ground. Like I said above, when someone is waking up from the ground, they are at a disadvantage ( red ). Meaning if you press a well-timed poke as they're waking up and they press a button, you'll get a counter or a crush counter. From which, you launch a combo. Once you condition them and they start blocking, you begin throwing them or command grabbing them. And people up to gold LOVE pressing buttons on wake-up. The amount of crushing counter I got, just from learning Chun's and Alex's wake up set-ups was astonishing.

I had already faced this Rose player before, and hit them with multiple HP crush-counters until they learned to block. Once they were conditioned to block on wake-up, I just started command grabbing them.

Also, I already got hit with Rose's V-trigger and learned she's always plus (blue) when active. So this time I just blocked and waited for an anti-air until the V-trigger ran out.

Edited by Xx-KingOFDark-xX
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I realized I never explained what a flowchart is. It's basically a string of moves and actions that a player will only do and nothing else. You figured it out and they're done.

As you go higher in the ranks the flowchart will become more difficult to counter but it will always have a weakness you can use to break it. Even if it is a single -3 move on block that you can punish with a 3 frame light attack.

Here's the usual flowchart of a Ken player that I hope will do a better job explaining it.

spacer.png

Edited by Xx-KingOFDark-xX