Disc won't read despite others reading fine

I have had two copies of 3D DOT GAME HEROES, both failing to work on my PS3 slim (Model #CECH-3001B). I have tried most things software related on my PS3 to fix this, rebuilding the database, formatting (wiping) the system, trying the game with and without the update, etc. The hard drive has been also swapped with the firmware reinstalled and still this game shows up on the XMB but when I try and start it gives me the 80010514 error saying it can't be read. Every other PS3 game I have works fine and some look worse in terms of scratches and still are fine. I know its not the disc because I've had two different clean copies not work.

Has anyone else had problems with their copy of the game or is my disc drive potentially in need of repair or replacement?

It sounds like the laser is on its way out and needs replacing but I would try cleaning it first, before doing anything drastic. If that doesn't work, you could well be looking at just being extremely unlucky and ending up with multiple busted copies of the game.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.