Part 3 theory crafting [SPOILERS]

3 minutes ago, Am4z1n9_AZ said:

Again where did I say it was the real Sephiroth? I'm familiar with the FF7 plot.

Context is key. I said how the delivery of the scene made no sense. They could of told the same puppet story but better with Cloud passing 'Sephiroth' the black material in a logical way rather than the route they took.

Personally, I have no problem with the scenes and again this isn't a thread to nitpick scenes we're here to theory craft.

On 3/26/2024 at 1:11 AM, GB-Red-Eye said:

So, my theory is that she's dead and what Cloud is seeing is either his imagination, or she's in the lifestream and he can see her because he has her materia unlike all anyone else.

In my opinion, Cloud really did save Aerith, but the Whispers intervened and two timelines were created: one in which Aerith is alive and another in which she is dead as in the original game. Supporting this theory is also the rainbow effect seen in the scene, as well as when Zack survives or when he goes to save Biggs. This is Biggs' role in the story: to show that fate cannot be changed. Another proof that Cloud lives parallel in two different timelines is that he is the only one who can see the rift in the sky in the final scene.

• 2 weeks later...

i just finished yesterday and had a theory that there is only one Cloud consciousness in all the timelines. I thought this might be the case when he briefly sees Aerith in her coma when he’s sleeping at some point, like his mind can only occupy one timeline at a time and his body is catatonic while he’s elsewhere. Maybe also support by Barret having to carry him after the fall at the Temple while he’s off in another timeline with Aerith. Also, it ties in with the fact Aerith seems to be aware of all timelines and that Cloud is Cloud no matter what timeline we are in. At least that’s what I got from the Cloud / Aerith date bit st the beginning of Chapter 14 with the hair clip gift.

I certainly feel like the main FFVII timeline is essentially the ‘sacred timeline’ (for those who’ve watched the Loki series) and all deviations from that timeline result in the end of the world for whatever reason - the rift in the sky being meteor? - and Sephiroth is ending all of the timelines by killing Aerith before she can pray for Holy. But he can’t get to Cloud because Aerith keeps protecting him from the Sephiroth? 

I think the Biggs theories are spot on. Same when Barret finds out what happened to Wedge - he dies falling from a great height, the same as falling from the plate in the original. Close enough? But if this is true, it’s a bit disappointing because it means all the changes the writers have made will ultimately mean nothing in the end… unless…

…Saving Aerith creates another timeline but for one reason or another, Sephiroth isn’t aware of that timeline. Maybe the white Whispers make him see that he’s killed Aerith? So the stage could be set for her to come back at the end and be part of the final battle? Or she‘s able to summon holy there and merge the timelines at the end to save the day. 

Before Rebirth came out, I had a feeling they would kill Tifa instead of Aerith - the whole breaking free of destiny at the end of remake made me wonder that Cloud would save Aerith (7 seconds till the end?) but as a consequence, Tifa would be killed. So I was actually mildly disappointed they appear to have stuck to the status quo. Hopefully things change in part 3, at least that’s what I hope.

I finished the game the day before yesterday, and I have two theories:

1. Aerith is gone for sure, and Cloud just does not process that at all. I believe that he truly thinks she is alive and well and that she will just remain at the Forgotten Capital to pray. 
  2. I think that until Tifa puts together Cloud's psyche in the Lifestream at Mideel, he can jump from one reality to another and occupy his own body in that reality. Because his psyche is fragmented in all realities, he is essentially a jigsaw puzzle that can move around and fit into an "empty" space. I hope it's clear enough

Anyway, I can't wait to get the third part, and see how everything comes together.. 

We'll be seeing a lot in the next game. Archaeology at the ruins hopefully. Chocobo breeding, interactions with Beck, Shinra Manager and other constants so far. Maybe close off the Sonon/Deep ground storyline.

A lot that needs to be answered. A lot of combat challenges and manuscripts to drive us insane as well as they find a way to make the box smaller for win conditions.

My thoughts:

1. Zack is fated to die in every reality/timeline. He is fated to die at the hands of a troop of Shinra Soldiers. No matter what tweaks occur in all the different universes, Zack will always die.

2. Aerith is fated to die in every reality/timeline. She is fated to be killed by Sephiroth. No matter what tweaks occur in all the different universes, Aerith will always die.

3. Cloud thinks he saved Aerith and stopped Sephiroth from impaling her, but he did not. He can't process losing Aerith in the same way that he can't process losing Zack, so his mind shuts out that information and rewrites itself. This is why everyone else sees Aerith dead in Cloud's arms. Because she is.

4. While Cloud mistakenly thinks that Aerith is still alive, he is still genuinely communicating with her. Aerith's spirit is speaking to him from the lifestream. She does not have a physical form anymore, but Cloud is able to see her either because he's travelled the multiverse or because she gave him Holy. I believe this because Red/Nanaki could sense Aerith when she 'touched' him. Also, when Cloud gets on the Tiny Bronco and flies away, Aerith is still standing in the field. If she was entirely a fictitious hallucination, then her form would disappear when we are no longer seeing things from Cloud's POV.

5. In each reality, when Aerith dies, she returns to the lifestream and joins with all the other Aeriths to become one 'universal' Aerith with the knowledge of all the different realities. This Lifestream Aerith is the one who appears to Cloud in the forest and the in universe where they wake up in their comatose bodies. Lifestream Aerith uses the Comatose Aerith & Cloud as vessels so that they can communicate in a safe place away from Sephiroth.

6. When the original FFVII Aerith entered the lifestream, she hid Holy within the parallel universes so Sephiroth could not find it. When Remake/Rebirth Aerith enters the lifestream, she is able to retrieve it and replace her drained Holy with the full one. 

7. Whe Sephiroth says 'I underestimated you', he is speaking to Aerith, in reference to her ability to traverse the multiverse and hide Holy from him.

8. The Aerith in the Sephiroth fight is Lifestream Aerith, not a living Aerith.

• Like 1