HP <-> MP Materia IS BROKEN (kinda)

So I was struggling with Rufus boss because he’s so hard to kill but then I realize something HP MP swap Gives you a crap ton of limit since your HP is so low but if you perfect block, you still get an increase your limit gauge without taking damage

so what I ended up doing, is putting precision block and steadfast and he didn’t even stand a chance

I will say if you’re going to use HP MP swap materia please learn how to perfect Block as nine times out of 10 you will not survive but if do you like high risk, high reward, then don’t sleep on this materia

(I also my add having reprieve and rearise it’s fantastic when using that materia)

I can't say this is something I've ever used, not on Hard mode nor any of the Brutal or Legendary VR challenges. When I'm done with this Plat, I'll probably not touch this game again because it's caused me so much grief, but if someone puts a gun to my head and tells me to challenge myself, I'll try that!

• Like 3

Rufus is tough, one of toughest boss battles indeed, but it's all about using you magic attacks to build ATB while staying far from him (O + 3x square), Haste can help too, once you have a full bar, triple slash him during or right after an attack to pressure him followed by a full combo (you can use prime mode if you are good at it but I am not...). Repeat until phase 2 (heal when necessary).

For Phase 2, throw your LB on Rufus and that should finish the fight , if not he should be almost dead, one or two hits should finish him (it helps a ton to have Gotterdamrung, if not you can use the accessory that gives half limit break, you should have a full LB by phase 2. You can also use bravery right before LB)

Note: He is immune to elements so forget about magic, use a full strength build

• Like 1

I don't see how the HP <-> MP materia is broken in the context that you gave.  If you are good enough to perfectly block every attack and not die with under 1k HP on any given fight then you don't need thousands of MP to win to begin with.  Your MP usage is also limited by your ATB generation which is far more limiting than the MP amount you have.  The HP <-> MP materia seems most useful on a bench warmer for curative spells when out and about to me.  Aerith is probably the most useful MP using damage dealer and she already has an embedded ability to recover MP.  There is also the MP absorb support materia that is decent when attached to -aga spells.  However, I think needing a lot of MP in general is indicative of not knowing the fight by having to spend too much on Reraise/Revives or using too much damage magic without MP absorb or staggering the monsters first.

• Like 2

I don't see how this will help someone that is already struggling. Someone that can consistently perfect block will get this fight done with a 'normal' materia loadout. This strat basically requires no mistakes.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2024 at 2:18 AM, NathanW18 said:

I don't see how this will help someone that is already struggling. Someone that can consistently perfect block will get this fight done with a 'normal' materia loadout. This strat basically requires no mistakes.

Depends on some Boss fights example someone like Rufus, which telegraphs is every attack and can be read from a mile away. You can end the fight in a kid you not 48 seconds.

and final boss sephith can be cheesed  since if you activate limit break three just before he attacks you again you get your limit back and you can cheese through the final phase

The only problem with that I will see is that it is extremely impractical in VR missions, especially in ones that are long such as bonds of friendship

tldr High execution, but has high reward you by cheesing some bosses, though again you have to be really good at blocking 

• 2 weeks later...