This one is tough

I can usually complete the one-button games but this one is getting the best of me. The highest score I’ve earned is 210 and a combo of 12 or 13 is my highest. I feel like there isn’t much strategy to this you just have to react quickly and get lucky. 

On 4/30/2024 at 8:35 AM, PalaceOfLove706 said:

I can usually complete the one-button games but this one is getting the best of me. The highest score I’ve earned is 210 and a combo of 12 or 13 is my highest. I feel like there isn’t much strategy to this you just have to react quickly and get lucky. 

I see you are the only one (on PSN Profiles, at least) to get the 250 score on any of the stacks.  I don't know how you managed that.  I think my highest score was around 150 or 160.  Haha.  I am giving up on this game.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rednaxnxam said:

I see you are the only one (on PSN Profiles, at least) to get the 250 score on any of the stacks.  I don't know how you managed that.  I think my highest score was around 150 or 160.  Haha.  I am giving up on this game.  

You will appreciate that I scored 250 exactly.

• Haha 1

On 5/7/2024 at 3:32 PM, LC-Fraggers said:

For those that don't know, all of these one button games are ports from Kenta Cho's site, ABA Games. Up until now, all of these ports have turned out fine but something went hideously wrong with Balls Bombs. In the original version, the player is much closer to the centre of the screen which makes it far easier to avoid the balls and capture more of them in the explosion. In this port, you are locked to the far left of the screen which gives you no wiggle room to avoid the rebounds from the wall and makes it much harder to score big combos.

I'm currently chatting to the dev to see if we can get a patch to bring it back to the original difficulty. I'll update once I know more.

Don’t fix it. I achieved the platinum. It’s possible. Let the challenge remain for those who dare take this path of perseverance, luck, and concentration. Who will join me?

• Confused 1

It’s been a week now since earning the platinum. I’ve watched some streaming videos of folks around the world trying to join me. Don’t give up. I feel your pain and was there.

If I have any advice, it’s to ensure your blasts cover as much ground as possible, every explosion. You’re more likely to get into trouble when you miss 3 or more bombs and they inevitably circle back, creating a trap. High combos are great and helpful but they come or they don’t. People who get to 500 need stamina more than luck. Focus on clearing the screen and there are ways to manipulate the blasts to make it as efficient as possible (i.e., pause then move forward on screen). Play to your style but play safe, is my advice. Remember too, you can pause the game and “think”.

If you do have a bad bomb blast, which happens, usually the best thing you can do is run forward fast and get to the next bomb. That is imperative with balls on screen, don’t wait around or you’re playing with fire. Obviously sometimes you have to pause but the risk is high. When I would pause to dodge I tried to tap the button to make sure I kept some momentum as moving from a standstill is harder than moving with some momentum.

And remember, with this game, often there is just nothing you could have done. Those balls know what they’re doing. They’re there to hurt you. And they’re good at it. Gotta keep going.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, PalaceOfLove706 said:

It’s been a week now since earning the platinum. I’ve watched some streaming videos of folks around the world trying to join me. Don’t give up. I feel your pain and was there.

If I have any advice, it’s to ensure your blasts cover as much ground as possible, every explosion. You’re more likely to get into trouble when you miss 3 or more bombs and they inevitably circle back, creating a trap. High combos are great and helpful but they come or they don’t. People who get to 500 need stamina more than luck. Focus on clearing the screen and there are ways to manipulate the blasts to make it as efficient as possible (i.e., pause then move forward on screen). Play to your style but play safe, is my advice. Remember too, you can pause the game and “think”.

If you do have a bad bomb blast, which happens, usually the best thing you can do is run forward fast and get to the next bomb. That is imperative with balls on screen, don’t wait around or you’re playing with fire. Obviously sometimes you have to pause but the risk is high. When I would pause to dodge I tried to tap the button to make sure I kept some momentum as moving from a standstill is harder than moving with some momentum.

And remember, with this game, often there is just nothing you could have done. Those balls know what they’re doing. They’re there to hurt you. And they’re good at it. Gotta keep going.

The dev has gone silent for well over a week now. I doubt he has any real interest in patching this to be honest so we're stuck with probably the most brutal EZPZ plat of all time 😂

The above strategy is legit and has got me to a score of 453 so far. I'm only playing it for about half an hour every couple of days so that I don't drive myself insane but this will work for you eventually with enough practice.

As soon as you grab the bomb, stop moving. If you move, you'll spawn more bombs in an awkward position that will bounce back on you as you're running for the next bomb. It's okay to inch forwards a little bit to get a few more balls on screen if your combo is going to be low but, as Palace stated, the most important thing you can do is clear the screen. This will give you a clear run for a good chunk of the distance to the next bomb. The most reliable way to do this is to start running just as your explosion detonates to try and catch everything on the right side of the screen. You can usually at least get all of them except one with this method.

I'll add that how I improved fast (going from scores of 20 - 50 to regularly hitting 150+ on a run) is to watch nothing except the left wall of the screen. You'll learn quickly to read the height that the balls are going to hit the wall and know whether to run or stop for a second. I also turned off all screen effects, vibration and turned the music off for as few distractions as possible. It's rough going and you'll fail a lot- most of the time there's nothing you can do about it too- but the stars will align at some point. It's all about perseverance.   

Edited by LC-Fraggers
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, LC-Fraggers said:

The dev has gone silent for well over a week now. I doubt he has any real interest in patching this to be honest so we're stuck with probably the most brutal EZPZ plat of all time 😂

The above strategy is legit and has got me to a score of 453 so far. I'm only playing it for about half an hour every couple of days so that I don't drive myself insane but this will work for you eventually with enough practice.

As soon as you grab the bomb, stop moving. If you move, you'll spawn more bombs in an awkward position that will bounce back on you as you're running for the next bomb. It's okay to inch forwards a little bit to get a few more balls on screen if your combo is going to be low but, as Palace stated, the most important thing you can do is clear the screen. This will give you a clear run for a good chunk of the distance to the next bomb.

I'll add that how I improved fast (going from scores of 20 - 50 to regularly hitting 150+ on a run) is to watch nothing except the left wall of the screen. You'll learn quickly to read the height that the balls are going to hit the wall and know whether to run or stop for a second. It's rough going and you'll fail a lot- most of the time there's nothing you can do about it too- but the stars will align at some point. It's all about perseverance.   

I completely echo this strategy. I definitely employed the 30 minutes playing time-max per run. It keeps emotions under enough control to reset for the next time and not give up. You are right about focusing on the left. I did quick analyses of the height and speed of ball as they approached, and the second I estimated it for one and responded appropriately, I'm already looking at the next ball. This strategy is highly effective if you clear bombs because you keep more control, analyzing them one by one. I also would "freeze" once getting a bomb. Honestly, it seems being still produces the best chance of a high combo with, as you say, the odd inch forward. Also, reaching a score in the 300-400s. Once you have done this, I encourage you to pause, breathe, and stay incredibly focused. Because if you get to 3-400, you're really technically only 1-2 solid blasts away from a win. Remember, I got 497 before 500. The math is there, but being able to get 200 points runs consistently I had to master before getting to that point. Once you're there, you're really really close.

• Like 1