You can always trust the untrustworthy bugged?

Ghostie

It wasn't bugged for me. Are you sure someone else is touching the chest fist? If you roll up on a fort and grab it, it won't count as stolen unless someone else already moved it. Stolen loot also loses it's stolen property when you bury it.

2 hours ago, Ghulthar said:

It wasn't bugged for me. Are you sure someone else is touching the chest fist? If you roll up on a fort and grab it, it won't count as stolen unless someone else already moved it. Stolen loot also loses it's stolen property when you bury it.

Yes, I've stolen these chests off of player ships after I had sunk them - I've turned them into both the gold hoarders and the guild merchant and haven't had the trophy pop for me

This wasn't bugged for me either, but I'm not shocked that this would be another busted trophy. I got mine by grappling the captain's chest out of the water after their ship had completely sunk, then turned it in at the Sovereigns. There was an instance before I popped this trophy where another crew took my captain's chests, but I took them back - this did NOT end up popping the trophy.

Make sure they're regular golden Captain's Chests. I don't think shipwrecked captain's chests (the ones with the barnacles like you find in shipwrecks) will count for this trophy. Same thing with Ashen Captain's Chests (the ones with the red lines scattered across them). Also make sure that their ship sinks completely before looting the chests out of the water. If all of this is just obvious then, yep, I'd say we have another buggy trophy. 

1 minute ago, SupergiantStarr said:

This wasn't bugged for me either, but I'm not shocked that this would be another busted trophy. I got mine by grappling the captain's chest out of the water after their ship had completely sunk, then turned it in at the Sovereigns. There was an instance before I popped this trophy where another crew took my captain's chests, but I took them back - this did NOT end up popping the trophy.

Make sure they're regular golden Captain's Chests. I don't think shipwrecked captain's chests (the ones with the barnacles like you find in shipwrecks) will count for this trophy. Same thing with Ashen Captain's Chests (the ones with the red lines scattered across them). Also make sure that their ship sinks completely before looting the chests out of the water. If all of this is just obvious then, yep, I'd say we have another buggy trophy. 

It's all been the golden chests with the red gem. I've fully sunk ships and it didn't count once I looted them - reaper chests found in shipwrecks also drop those captain's chest and that also didn't count for me. I'll continue to try and make more players angry (sorry everyone) that I'm sinking them for a trophy lol. 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Ghostie said:

Yes, I've stolen these chests off of player ships after I had sunk them

I don't think sinking them and then getting the chests counts as stealing. That's looting.

Stealing is getting on their boat, grabbing a chest, and getting off it without them noticing or their boat being sunk. For example when they are moored in a port and getting their chests to merchants one at a time, you go on their boat while they are away and get the chest.

At least that's how I interpret it.

EDIT: My assumption is that it counts as stolen when it is in their crew's possession. If they dig up a chest, for example, it is in their possession, even if it's not on the boat. However, if a boat gets sunk, I guess that they then lose the possession. The loot isn't immediately on the water's surface after a sinking, it takes a while. But when it's finally on the water's surface, I think it is not in anyone's possession anymore, and thus, you cannot "steal" it.

Edited by Sicho

10 hours ago, Sicho said:

I don't think sinking them and then getting the chests counts as stealing. That's looting.

Stealing is getting on their boat, grabbing a chest, and getting off it without them noticing or their boat being sunk. For example when they are moored in a port and getting their chests to merchants one at a time, you go on their boat while they are away and get the chest.

EDIT: My assumption is that it counts as stolen when it is in their crew's possession. If they dig up a chest, for example, it is in their possession, even if it's not on the boat. However, if a boat gets sunk, I guess that they then lose the possession. The loot isn't immediately on the water's surface after a sinking, it takes a while. But when it's finally on the water's surface, I think it is not in anyone's possession anymore, and thus, you cannot "steal" it.

While this is good logic, I still popped the trophy after cashing in a captain's chest from a sunken ship. Still counts as stealing (or in the game's terms "donating") the treasure once it is aboard your ship.

21 hours ago, Sicho said:

I have even stole it off a player ship and the trophy popped for my crew mates and not me. I still have not earned this trophy and am out of ideas on how to fix it lol. I still have others to work on but it's irritating that I was able to get the PvP trophies aside from this one (which is probably the easiest one)

47 minutes ago, Ghostie said:

I have even stole it off a player ship and the trophy popped for my crew mates and not me. I still have not earned this trophy and am out of ideas on how to fix it lol. I still have others to work on but it's irritating that I was able to get the PvP trophies aside from this one (which is probably the easiest one)

do you have this achievement already on Xbox or PC? There seem to be issues with crossplay achievement/trophies.

No I had zero achievements on both of those platforms 

4 hours ago, Sicho said:

do you have this achievement already on Xbox or PC? There seem to be issues with crossplay achievement/trophies.