Dragon Quest X to feature streaming, release date September

Lady Lilith

http://www.engadget.com/2014/07/09/dragon-quest-x-online-streaming/

dragon_quest_online.jpg

We've seen quite a bit of game streaming on PlayStation-branded products, but it looks like Sony will gain some possibly unexpected competition. In Japan, at least. WhenNintendo 3DS owners in the region play Dragon Quest X Online (DQXO) come its September 4th launch, they won't be popping a cartridge into the system. No, like the massively multiplayer online (MMO) game's mobile version, DQXO on Nintendo's handheld will use streaming tech along the lines of PlayStation Now or OnLive instead of playing from a local cart or internal storage. As Tiny Cartridge reports, you won't be able to play in 3D as a result, and you'll constantly need a WiFi connection to access the game -- considering that this is an MMO, that should be expected anyway. However, if you'd rather lay down your cash for a physical bit of DQ gear instead, well, there's always this Metal Slime smartphone.

Why do I get the feeling this won't work...like at all, considering Nintendo's online ineptitude in general?

Will this game require a subscription?

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/06/14/dragon-quest-x-to-offer-two-hours-of-free-play-time-every-day/

dqx_thumb.jpg

In a drastic change for the series, Dragon Quest X will be a subscription-based MMORPG. A 30-day subscription  in Japan will cost 1,000 yen ($12), 60 days will cost 1,950 yen ($24), and 90 days will amount to 2,900 yen ($35.50).

Turning a series that literally attracts players ranging from children to 60-year-olds into an MMORPG is a risky prospect. For starters, kids may not have the finances to pay the monthly subscription fee, which would greatly limit the game’s appeal. However, Square Enix have a solution for this—Kids’ Time.

Kids’ Time is effectively two hours free playtime every single day. On weekdays, users will be able to play Dragon Quest X online for free from 4 PM to 6 PM. On weekends, Kids’ Time will be in effect from 1 PM to 3 PM. While the two free hours of play each day are meant for children, Square Enix aren’t imposing any actual restrictions to prevent older players from making use of them, too, aside from perhaps the timings, which are suited to schoolkids.

Dragon Quest X will be released for the Wii on August 2nd.  A Wii U version will follow at a later date, but specific features for this version have not yet been announced. You can read our extensive coverage of the game so far by using its tag.

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2012/06/14/dragon-quest-x-to-offer-two-hours-of-free-play-time-every-day/#3X2RMfhUwHDqXzAw.99

Nintendo MMO with sub fees? Fuck that.

I remember they release a dragon quest mmo or online on the wii and it was not a success, with sub fees I can't see this going down to well with consumers. Also Nintendo Network is really bad with Street Fighter so I doubt this would hold up. I'll just wait and see. 

Oh good, what the worlds needs...another mmo :(

Why can't companies just release another version of their game without turning it into something horrible (I am looking at you Breath of Fire 6)

Castlevania, Resident Evil, I guess you could say Silent Hill.  Megaman, that terrible Shenmue sim game back in 2010...

I wish this game would come to the west. Hell, I wish the west could get ANYTHING from the Dragon Quest series nowadays. 

Though Nintendo doing something online? Thats scary. I heard on the Giant Bomb cast that Nintendo probally wouldn't have online support for Mario Maker. That would be a huge failure.  

Edited by TheeCakee